SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next > Last »
Where did you live before you came to SE23?
Nomadic

18-09-2013 10:39 AM

Houses I've seen around that price mark need work doing to them. And these?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-...60926.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-...22471.html

A two bed flat is still £150K less than Sarf West London...

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bluesuperted

18-09-2013 10:47 AM

I think the SSTC prices are not really a guide at the moment unfortunately. Plus that Trilby Rd one is suggested in the details to be unmortgageable (I think as there is not a proper bathroom but this is a guess). I have heard that several agents have nothing on the books at all and waiting lists of people looking. I think 300k for a decent two-bed flat (not house) would be lucky at the moment. I also think that the Houston Rd one would definitely sell for more like £450 or higher now, the market is crazy.

The cheapest houses I've seen recently are the Witney Path ex locals. Not sure what that estate is like but we bought an ex local house in Peckham which turned out to be a great stepping stone. Good luck in your search.

This post was last modified: 18-09-2013 10:48 AM by bluesuperted.

daveherne

18-09-2013 11:14 AM

they are closer to 500 in HOP now.

Belle

18-09-2013 11:22 AM

A two bed HOUSE is around the £375 mark, actual price dependent on location - could be more! If you're nearer the Horinman prices are markedly more expensive compared to south of the train tracks.

SeanThomas

18-09-2013 11:24 AM

Lived in a few places SW London (Southfields, Putney, Wandsworth) before moving here over 2 years ago but to be honest was largely glad to leave the area. We had lots of friends nearby when we first moved there plus I worked way out West, but I never felt at home or made new friends. Bar the lovely walks up on Wimbledon Common in winter time it was never really for me; nothing very interesting happened to the areas in the whole time we were there, transport was a pain and there was next to no nightlife unless you ventured into the depths of Clapham which I try to avoid at all costs.

Far prefer Forest Hill. It's got enough nice things to take family to (Horniman, Babur in HOP, Dartmouth Arms, the coffee shops), a really good arts scene (looking forward to the Sydenham Arts Festival again), is better connected to a lot of places I like being able to get to for gigs and after work pints (Hackney, London Bridge, Camden), near some places that are handy to drive to from time to time (Crystal Palace, Blackheath, Greenwich, Dulwich) and still has the heart and soul of the place intact (nice cheap cafes on a Saturday morning, a few pubs to watch football in like Blythe Hill Tavern, a few chip shops, the swimming pool & library).

I'm all for the area getting a bit safer and nicer to walk around at night time being as close to Catford as we are in truth to FH, but I hope it doesn't just turn into another East Dulwich. I think the South Circular will probably stop that happening but the area is so interesting because of the mix of people in it. I'd hate to think it was going to turn into a haven for those wanting it to turn into something it already isn't.

What do I miss... maybe the independent Curzon cinema we had up the road in Wimbledon would be nice (if only there was a massive cinema on the high street with a perfectly preserved upstairs area...) and the spring walks along the Thames as our stretch of it is pretty industrial and grim.

Otherwise, next to nothing.

Belle

18-09-2013 11:33 AM

By the sounds of it there is a lot of demand for a cinema - me included! It would be great to have the likes of Clapham Picture House pitched up in Forest Hill.

hellohello

18-09-2013 11:41 AM

i heard a rumour that the Picture House were interested in the Wetherspoons but I fear it was just that, a rumour. Would be fantastic though to see it restored.

Nomadic

18-09-2013 11:45 AM

Geez,

Prices are really on the up then! Maybe I am better off looking for a one bedroom with a garden that I could convert to a two bedroom.

However seems you are all enjoying far more than your previous haunts and there isn't a price you can put on that.

It is just some of the stories I've read here about people running into trouble late at night that has made me apprehensive a touch...

SeanThomas

18-09-2013 11:51 AM

I think you get that most places though. Avoid little side streets and there's always the mini cab places by the station. Doesn't strike me as any worse than Tooting / Wandsworth. Probably isn't as safe as Dulwich / Wimbledon etc though.

Never seen any real aggro though and I think a lot of it is just in your head when you move to a strange, new place.

daveherne

18-09-2013 11:52 AM

I have never heard about any trouble in HOP, maybe in FH, but it is much busier. But don't think that is any different than any built up london area.

Tersie

18-09-2013 11:58 AM

I was bought up in Greenford - West London. Travelled the world in my 20's for 6 years, living here there and everywhere. Came back to London and lived in Roehampton / Putney area and Chiswick for 4 years. As a first time buyer was priced out of so many areas in West London. I was doing some research and knew the ELL was coming in to HOP, so for me it was a no brainer investment wise. I had a few friends in the SE London area and loved the community feel every time i visited. I have been here just over 7 years now and love it! I agree prices have shot up now but think you still get more for your money compared to other areas in London.

Nicola37

18-09-2013 12:35 PM

I thought for my first post on the forum it would be fitting to post to this conversation!

Myself and my family will be moving to FH end of next month (if our house sale goes through!) and this will be a big change of location for us. Since we moved to London 6 years ago we have only lived West - Brook Green/Hammersmith/Fulham. We have lots of friends in West London since starting a family and I will be desperately sad to leaveSad. But FH for us was one of the few (nice) places we could afford to buy in (after 6 years of renting) but I must add - only just! We were rapidly being outpriced week by week and genuinely think we have only just scraped into the property market, our sacrifice has been period features but we have a small house instead which we hope will be amazing.

We are looking forward to the more relaxed atmosphere that FH seems to have (we can't afford the property/schools/lifestyle of Fulham!) but obviously anxious about moving to a new area and hope that we are welcomed and grow to love the area and make lots of friends! We have loved visiting every week when we were property hunting and have tried out most of the cafes of FH now! Laugh

Saskia

18-09-2013 01:12 PM

Sorry to go off on a tangent here but strongly do not agree with Belle's comments about Perry Vale letting down FH. It has amazing potential which is not being tapped into as much as it could and should. There are some incredibly beautiful houses and streets in this bit of FH and some of the streets with the largest gardens you will find in the area (or any of the areas close by). Also lots of good schools in this area and close to two beautiful parks Mayow Park and Blythe Hill Fields. It's true that less money/ time appears to have been spent on FH this side of the railway tracks and that is something that we should all push for to increase the interest of those who would open new restaurants, pubs and facilities in this bit of FH as this would improve our whole area for all. There lots of people with plenty of dispoable income in Perry Vale so the incentive should be to improve the aspects of the area that have not been as loved as the rest of FH to give us all more of the the things mentioned in these threads that people are looking for.

SeanThomas

18-09-2013 01:18 PM

It's definitely better than it was 2 years ago and has less loiterers.

Lolo's is nice and there's an estate agents there which is usually a good sign of a changing area. In fact I use it more than most of the shops up at FH truth be told.

It's nothing swanky but given it's location, that's not really the point of it, is it? Just some handy convenience stores when you need some milk or Haribo.

nottinghillbilly

18-09-2013 07:09 PM

I grew up in Notting-Hill Had a stint living in Chelsea (hated the neighbours and braying hooray henry's every weekend but loved being able to walk to knightsbridge ,Kings Rd etc etc) Then moved back to Notting Hill.

Moved here just over two years ago because we could afford a large house, as opposed to a one bed in west London, and also because my boyfriend worked nearby and I could get to work in the West end in 45mins.
Love It! Have no regrets, its a really friendly area, great independent shops, For movies we tend to go to Brixton on the P4 or Beckenham for blockbusters.
I do however wish that we had a mini Wholefoods style supermarket, selling organic and health food. Thats it really.

SeanThomas

18-09-2013 09:30 PM

There's a decent little health food shop on Sydenham High Street. Might be worth a visit...?

Herbert

18-09-2013 09:53 PM

Nomadic, I heard the Trilby Rd property went for well over the guide price (as others seem to have). It also needs a lot of money spending on it

Anyway, I lived in Fulham, Richmond and Wimbledon before Forest Hill. I bought because friends recommended FH (6 years ago), I could get a house rather than a flat, and the planned East London Line ext. I always thought i'd end up in Richmond when I could afford it. We probably could just about afford it now at a stretch, but I really can't see us moving anywhere else in London.

I Love:

1. The community feel, something I haven't experienced in London before.
2. The transport links, it's much easier to get into the city now than any of the areas i've lived before.
3. The pride people seem to have in the area (as demonstrated by this forum) and they way the area seems to be constantly improving.

The one drawback for me would be "the look" of the centre, the shops, restaurants and bars. That said, this has improved so much over the past 5 years and hopefully that will continue. I am now happy just to go into Forest Hill for a night out, i'd have ended up in ED after a couple a few years ago. The Cafe's are great, restaurants decent.

Doodle

18-09-2013 10:42 PM

For me Wimbledon, Notting Hill, Westminster and the City. What would I change? Bring back some of the 1930's clubs FH used to have where you could swim or play tennis at a private club at the end of your road ( before they were bombed in the war).

Nomadic

19-09-2013 08:59 AM

I totally agree about the Hooray Henry types, does annoy me as Battersea is getting full of them and I find everything seems to be overpriced here. Drinks, food, etc. I imagine the soaring rents affect associated prices.

One thing I do love about Clapham Junction is the ability to get to nearly anywhere. I know FH runs into CJ. In fact, what are the trains like into London Bridge? Busy? And what are the delays like.

There is a great community spirit on this forum alone!

Nomadic

19-09-2013 09:41 AM

Hi Herbert and all,

What about this: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-...51970.html

Good price and location?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields