SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (9): « First < Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Next > Last »
Horniman Triangle Play Park
Londondrz

14-04-2009 10:53 AM

Politely point out to the dog owners that dogs are not allowed. If you are not keen to do so then you can call the parks police (details should be on the sign).

If you feel this is over egging it the consider the diseases kids can get from dog poo.

If I am there with my kids I will happily tell them to leave the park, if you want my help and I am there I am over six foot, dark hair and have a cast on my leg so easy to spot. When it comes to protecting my kids I am happy to stand up and be counted.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
essjaygee

14-04-2009 11:14 AM

RoflI am now torn between being happy to never see a dog in the playground to looking forward to seeing Londondrz "helping me" "discuss the issue" with the next dogowner we spy in there......Rofl

I have not been backward in politely (and I know that may surprise you Londondrz, but I can be polite when required, it's the actor training doncha know....Rofl) discussing the issue with the dog owners in question, including the disease element (I'm the same, parental instinct foremost) but the response, every single time, has been "well we didn't see the [on every entrance, quite clear] signs".

I'll take a note of the park police number next time, especially if Londondrz is not around to be my knight in shinyblackbecasted armour.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

14-04-2009 11:55 AM

Water pump now pumping water.

Londondrz

14-04-2009 01:50 PM

Dont worry, will help you if it comes to explaining things politly. If they dont like it and get physical, please do try to keep up as I will be running away as quickly as my cast allowsLaugh

roz

18-04-2009 10:48 PM

Doing a bit of Googling this evening I came across some Council meeting minutes of 2004 where someone called Marion Wood represented the users of Horniman Triangle, clearly very effectively. Is Marion still out there, if so, can she advise whether any formal' Friends' group still exists?

vipes

23-04-2009 11:09 AM

Spoken to Fiona Alleyn at Lewisham again. The money's in place to knock down the old block and do up the patio in front of the cafe but there's no money for the other plans - new toilets, new wooden swings and a slide in keeping with the other structures. Crazy that there were no toilets budgeted for with the number of kids down there.

FiB

23-04-2009 11:34 AM

Oh, that's madness - no loos OR swings!! Did no one from the council see how absolutely HEAVING the Triangle was over Easter hols?? Fantastic it was so popular - and we are massive fans of the sand (long may it stay so soft and clean) and climbing wall - but kids need loos! (I did see two little girls disappear round the doorway of the old block for a quick wee one day - I'm sure they weren't the only ones...)
Did Fiona Alleyn suggest there may be money at a later date to provide the necessary??

roz

23-04-2009 07:11 PM

I got the same information from Martin Hyde at the Council - the hold up has been EDF as there are still cables connected to the old building which need to be decommissioned. I feel the same way about the swings- my daughter wants them so it means either going to another park instead or doing both in a morning which sort of misses the point of having a local community facility. I can't believe they have let these fall off the radar- they are so popular. I think this should be a priority for any lottery funding or community fund.

A childrens facility without loos is hardly a great idea- I can imagine all the parents dipping behind a large tree with their little ones and imagine what thats going to be like in high summer. It will also reduce the amount of time people spend in the park .When you gotta go, you gotta go... Nice concept but the overall planning is just Thumbdown, Lewisham.

robin orton

23-04-2009 09:46 PM

I walk my dog regularly in Baxter Fields (SE26, but FH ward), where there is a nice little children's playground, including a slide and swings, which is very well used. The absence of a lavatory doesn't seem to cause obvious problems.

FiB

23-04-2009 10:26 PM

Baxter's Fields is a HORRIBLE play area: seriously boring equipment, not nearly enough for little ones to play on, dog poo all over the grass - and kids go to the loo in the bushes...

Londondrz

24-04-2009 07:38 AM

I am gobsmacked that they will not be putting swings inMad

Another half a***d attempt by Lewisham. It could all have been so good. Aaaaaagh!!!

michael

24-04-2009 09:48 AM

I don't disagree with some of the criticisms made about the lack of toilets or swings, but I think we should recognise this as a great success.

Not long ago this park was rarely used by children or adults, it is now a significant destination in Forest Hill. People vote with their feet, and judging by the crowds in this park the benefits clearly outweigh the negative aspects mentioned.

We should be proud of the Forest Hill Beach and I think that, with the Olympics coming to London in a couple of years, now is the time to set up a Forest Hill womens' beach volleyball team. I can't think of a better way for the men of Forest Hill to enjoy to summer months Rofl

quitefrankly

24-04-2009 12:16 PM

I agree that the sandpit is a truly enormous success. It is a guarunteed lovely-time-to-be-had-by-all destination if you have kids. This is fantastic.

But I don't know a single other user with kids who hasn't been absolutely horrified about the lack of loos and very disappointed about the lack of swings.

I really thought it was still a work in progress, but if that's it...

roz

24-04-2009 12:48 PM

I do recognise this as a considerable success but the call of nature does need a little recognition and assistance.
The cafe owner is however adamant that loos will be put in this summer, not sure when. Having just been to the park and overhearing a lot of people with children having ' loo crises', ie having to get all the kids packed up to go to the Horniman then back again, I would suggest the sooner the better. Surely a few temporary portaloos cannot cost that much whilst we wait for funding for a more permanent fixture?

I believe they have a drag volleyball event in Brighton during Pride, Michael. If you want a womens beach volleyball team you might be able to hire some equipment from them and then your team would be fully inclusive. Why sit on the sidelines when you can join in. Equal opps and all that.Cool

quitefrankly

24-04-2009 01:23 PM

Glad you mentioned the volleyball comment Roz! As a new comer to SE23.com, I held back there. Slapped wrist Michael!Rolleyes

nevermodern

12-05-2009 05:45 PM

On the toilet issue, this from Susan Wise in SE23 magazine: "The derelict toilet block will be demolished shortly, and we will assess the need for new facilities this summer."

So no definite plans yet.

Contrary Mary

12-05-2009 10:10 PM

What's to 'assess' ???? They're needed - END OF!

If the council simply don't have the money, maybe they could just admit that instead of spouting bureaucraspeak. Then the community can stop wasting time waiting for them to do something and start thinking about how to do it for ourselves in spite of the fact we shouldn't have to.

roz

13-05-2009 10:05 AM

I know for a fact that there are no immediate plans to demolish the toilet block as they don't have the money. Nor are toddler swings on the immediate agenda.
I have written to Susan Wise about loos and handwashing facilities as I do know that some people are making creative use of the bushes, and issues around the existing toilet block which is covered in bird poo- dangerous stuff for kids so at the very least the council could de infest it of the current resident pigeons, block up the windows and clear up the mess and make it safe.

My own child also came across a box of weedkiller at the back of this building a few weeks ago where it had been left - open- by the Glendale staff. I have also queried the sense of using weedkiller spray when children are present and in an area where children play. They will get to it before it has time to dry.

When I get a response from Susan I will post a summary here. I don't see why some temporary port -a- loo arrangement cannot be made available at least during the peak times when its busy. Handwashing facilities and running drinking water are surely also mandatory especially given the swine flu prevention advice.
As a mother of a young child I will have to take along a portable potty to this park in this summer but that is not something I really want to inflict on the general public or my child, but there appears to be no other solution.

roz

22-05-2009 02:17 PM

Miraculously despite not having the money the Council have successfully managed to demolish and level the old toilet block next to Forest Hill Plage. A good start as it was a hazard. There was even a portaloo there this morning but transpired to be only for the workmen. I understand that this area is being returned to grass.

Hopefully it will only be a matter of time before we can persuade Lewisham that whilst they are waiting for planning permission for the new toilet block, some temp loos would be nice.....and of course those toddler swings...

I would however question the wisdom of having workmen there with shovels and trucks when the area is full of very young children; still at least several of them lent a helping hand.....

scipio

27-07-2009 09:32 AM

Any developments yet for replacing the toilets and reinstating the swings in this park?

Pages (9): « First < Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vote for the Horniman Triangle michael 1 4,241 12-10-2015 12:08 PM
Last Post: michael
  Horniman triangle Mondella 0 3,597 23-09-2014 03:24 PM
Last Post: Mondella
  Lost: Silver Arrowhead Pendant in the Horniman's Triangle Play Park. Sentimental. ScottishAngel 0 3,000 14-10-2012 04:55 PM
Last Post: ScottishAngel
  Homeless lady in Horniman Triangle Novels 29 30,009 19-06-2011 05:36 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Fire at Horniman Triangle Cafe petersutton01 10 12,411 22-06-2010 12:12 PM
  Horniman Triangle Coffee Shop Airguitarman 1 5,085 02-04-2009 10:02 PM