SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Honor Oak Play Bus
robwinton

02-06-2008 04:14 PM

Saw this parked on Westbourne Terrace at lunch today

A large yellow double-decker with "Honor Oak Play Bus" painte on the side.

Anyone know anything about it?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
liz

02-06-2008 06:17 PM

I see it around a lot and also wonder what it is. Let me know when you find out!

shzl400

02-06-2008 06:45 PM

I would have a sneaking suspcion that "Honor Oak" in this context refers to the estate at the far end of Brenchley Gardens i.e. nowhere near and nothing to do with the Honor Oak we know and love[/quote].

liz

03-06-2008 08:17 AM

I found this on the Lewisham Council website, June 2005.

Mayor opens Honor Oak centre

Steve Bullock, Mayor of Lewisham, joined in a fun-filled day of activities marking the opening of the brand new Honor Oak centre on Thursday, June 23. The centre now boasts fantastic facilities, providing information and childcare services for children under four and their families across the Telegraph Hill ward.

Service users and community members welcomed the Mayor to officially open the centre. Nearly 200 children made use of the new facilities, including learning activities in the double-decker play bus, throughout the day.

Steve cut the ribbon and unveiled a plaque to mark the opening. He said: ?It?s an honour to open the Honor Oak because it brings together all of the people who have worked so hard to provide this vital service to parents and the local community. In addition, the centre has contributed a significant amount of regeneration in the area and created extra jobs.?

Lewisham Council and Sure Start combined to refurbish the building, an old workshop that had been empty for four years, to provide office space, meeting rooms and a creche. The building and outdoor play space have been beautifully designed, with children and people with special needs in mind.

The Deptford Green school steel band entertained guests on their arrival. This was followed by the official opening and then a speech on the importance of services for families and children by Frankie Sulke, Executive Director for Children and Young People?s Services.

Kazimba African dancers, a music workshop for young people, face painting and balloon-making added to the celebrations. A mural, made by under fours and their parents, was unveiled in the afternoon session. Guests left with Sure Start videos covering subjects such as health information advice, play facilities and general support around Lewisham.

Primary care services, social services, midwifery advice, family welfare association advisors, Lewisham early years service and community service members will all be available through the Honor Oak centre.

jon14

03-06-2008 08:39 AM

I think you can get different types of play buses - Ones that are run by local authorities, which attempt to make play provision accessible to those who are disadvantaged and/or isolated.

Others are commercial enterprises that are used for things like birthday parties for children (obviously). Although they can be hired for weddings too!

I guess that the one you see if the former, and could well be the estate and not the place we all know and love.

calvin

03-06-2008 05:33 PM

I saw the Lewisham Play Bus drive past yesterday, and my daughter raved about it, telling me it had been at Mayow Park when she went there with her childminder last week (half term).

Toffeejim

03-06-2008 09:45 PM

Lewisham has a traditional red routemaster that it has converted into a children's playbus for toddlers. It tours around the borough and, although originally conceived as a facility for travelling communities, is open to all. I'm reliably informed that the little ones love it.

baggydave

05-06-2008 08:57 PM

Does this have much to do with SE23?

jon14

06-06-2008 02:24 PM

baggydave wrote:
Does this have much to do with SE23?

Rob saw it in Westbourne Terrace so I guess it does.

roz

27-06-2008 07:42 AM

It had a 'residency' in Horniman Gardens earlier this year. Spewed out diesel fumes for several hours .
No doubt its useful to some.

Toffeejim

28-06-2008 08:12 AM

I'm sure the playbus regulars will be grateful for that piece of gracious condescension. The playbuses are indeed useful to some. For others indispensible might be a better descriptor.

roz

28-06-2008 10:12 AM

I didn't meant to rubbish it entirely but if it is the same bus that visited the Horniman recently its not the most accessible of child friendly ' places' which defeats its no doubt excellent purpose.
When a friend and I tried to use it at the Horniman we found it hard to get upstairs with non mobile babies and bags and they said we couldn't use the lower floor, so we left a little bemused about the purpose. Buggies had to be left outside unattended and out of sight where it was difficult to keep an eye on them. Maybe its more appropriate for older toddlers who are able to walk?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields