SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
if you're a Forest Hill/Honor Oak home-owner..
flossie

29-08-2013 11:02 AM

...would you object to someone popping a letter through your door enquiring if you wished to sell your home privately? Do people already do this in the area?

We're looking to move to the area and finding properties few and far between - and getting fewer, and more expensive over the last 6 mths!

My mum suggested we do a letter drop on the roads we like, but a friend said she was really irritated when someone did the same to her in Sydenham.

If we did do it - would you read it? WOuld it be better typed and posted with a stamp or dropped through the door?

Many thanks - any advice gratefully received.

(and if anyone has a 2-3 bed house for up to £400k they'd like to sell, even better! Laugh )

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nitoda

29-08-2013 12:07 PM

I wouldn't object, but it would just be added to the pile of recycling. If I wanted to sell my home I'd advertise the fact.

Red67

29-08-2013 12:38 PM

Over nearly 12 years of living here, i think we've had about 6 letters through the door asking if we'd consider selling and i know that at least one of my neighbours was successful in buying a property on the road i live on by using that tactic, so no, i wouldn't be offended personally (but i'm not looking to sell). Have you thought about taking a look at some of the pockets of perhaps slightly cheaper [/i]but very nice areas that are now much more accessible via the Overground? I think Penge is well worth a look especially on the roads that make up the Alexandra Estate http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/30239623 ?? It'd be where i'd be looking if i was trying to buy at a decent-ish price right now....

flossie

29-08-2013 01:16 PM

Thank you, both. It's v tricky. It's how my parents bought their house so I suppose that's why my mum suggested it, but yes, I imagine some people would throw it away.

And yes, we're viewing a cottage in Penge this weekend, which is an area we don't really know, but obviously like the buzz of F/O, H/O.

(wondering if I should've put this in general chat but wouldn't know how to move it!)

Cheeky

29-08-2013 01:18 PM

Can't see why anyone would be 'really irritated' by people putting letters through their letterbox.

Who cares. Even if it did annoy people, think about what you'd prefer, annoy no one and not find a house, or annoy 100 people for about 2 seconds and find the home of your dreams from that 1 person who responds to your letter.

I know which one i'd prefer.

tinyem

29-08-2013 04:06 PM

With regards to HOP - when we bought over 3 years ago the 3 beds on Whatman Road were in excess of £400k so I think if you're looking for a victorian property in HOP you will be out of luck. I wouldn't bother putting letters through these doors, it would also be a waste of your time and money as they probably wouldn't market them for less than £450/500k.
We bought our 4 bed for £430k (in need of a lot of work) and probably would market it for around £600/£650k now based on recent sales.

I remember looking at 3 bed 30s around Cibber and Colfe and they were around £350k so you might find something round there but it would be a "project". You wouldn't get a finished article for less than £400k.

You should be able to get a flat/maisonette... not sure if that's an option, there are a number of victorian maisonettes in HOP which should be in this price bracket...

As a previous poster suggested you might be better off looking further down the overground. It won't be HOP or FH, but things are bound to improve in all areas over time - and you're more likely to get a seat on the overground further south!!

If you really want a house in HOP or FH, you will probably need to up your budget and potentially look at something non-victorian. There are some houses on Garthorne Rd that might be in this price bracket? You could also look at the Catford borders - 20 minute walk to FH station though.

Bottom line - feel free to leaflet I'm sure no one will mind, but do some research so that you target houses where you really feel they should be <£400k or it will be a waste of time and money.

Good luck and I hope you get the house you want soon!

squashst

29-08-2013 05:17 PM

I'm afraid Garthorne Rd - 3 bed Edwardian Terrace £500k (and they sell like hotcakes). Consider the F/Hill Catford borders, Penge, or even Lower Sydenham if you are looking at lower. The Overground has given a real turbo boost to prices, for good or ill.

flossie

29-08-2013 05:30 PM

once again - many thanks for this info.

I think what enticed us were the listings under 'under offer/sold' on primelocation which showed houses for £375k-£400k... Perhaps they've been sold/under offer for a year!

Whenever I've mentioned Penge people have either asked where that is, or taken an intake of breath and said 'ooh dodgy' Unsure but the Alexandra Cottages area looks nice, if a little lacking in local shops/cafes etc.

squashst

29-08-2013 05:53 PM

Penge is a mix. It is indeed poorer than HOP/Fhill, but it is close to Crystal Palace Park, and there are signs that it is changing - a new butcher and fishmongers on Penge High st , the Bridge House tavern (Thicket Road) Alexandria estate has some good houses etc (and a very good garden centre). And the good communications: overground - Penge West, or trains to Victoria - Penge East will I suspect bring improvement over the next few years.

hellohello

29-08-2013 07:29 PM

I live on 'catford borders' and houses are selling for £490k+ for a three bedroom on our road. Friends of ours have bought a place in Sydenham for much cheaper so I don't know if that would be an option for you.

flossie

30-08-2013 04:24 AM

Yes, we're looking at Sydenham. Not too keen on the High St but friends live on the borders and like it so will give it a try.

Thanks again.

rshdunlop

30-08-2013 06:24 AM

I live half-way between Forest Hill and Sydenham and use both regularly. While Sydenham Road isn't beautiful, it does have a lot of useful shops and more interesting shops are beginning to open up. Now the current refurbishment work is nearly complete, the high street is beginning to look much better. New planting and trees are being added soon. There is a monthly food fair in the newly laid pocket park at Venner Road and the new pocket park at Queensthorpe Road should also attract some new ventures.

Bear in mind that almost none of the very attractive businesses in Forest Hill were there two - three years ago. Everyone said we would never have nice shops on Dartmouth Road because it's too difficult to park, and there was no passing trade. Everyone said we wouldn't get nice shops on London Road because of the traffic and competition from Sainsburys. But they were wrong! When we moved to Forest Hill (over ten years ago) there was nothing much in FH that we liked, except the exceptional family house we now own.

If you have a look on the forums for Sydenham, Penge, etc, you'll get an idea of the things that are planned for those areas, as well as what currently exists.

Good luck!

flossie

30-08-2013 06:52 AM

This is such a helpful forum, thank you. I'll be sad not to move to FH/HOP if only not to engage more in here! WIll toddle off and find Sydenham and Penge's too.

BT

30-08-2013 07:17 AM

We sold our flat in FH some years ago to someone who didn't exactly drop a letter through the door but contacted us via someone else. We got a quick sale with no agents fees.

Here in Norwich we often get Agents doing letter drops especially when they have sold a nearby property.

This post was last modified: 30-08-2013 07:18 AM by BT.

lacb

30-08-2013 12:21 PM

I can't see why anyone would be offended by such a letter. After all, estate agents seem to have no qualms sending unsolicited letters.

To OP, you need to contact agents daily. Don't wait for property to be listed as it will typically be under offer by then.

Jane_D

30-08-2013 08:05 PM

I don't mind getting these letters through the door from people who are looking to buy a house; better that than a pile of flyers from a fast food chain.

I guess it could help your case if you can say you are a first time buyer or already have a good offer on your own place, to make yourselves sound more attractive. Good luck!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields