SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
TfL survey - Going cashless on buses
michael

30-08-2013 09:23 PM

Thanks Mr_Numbers.
I found the full text of my submission to the various questions on the survey, which I completed on behalf of the Forest Hill Society after discussions with our transport committee (we welcome new members to the transport committee if you have an interest in such issues - PM me)

Quote:
What provision would be made for people whose wallet was stolen?
Sometimes you might have just enough cash to get home, or you could rely on the generosity of a stranger. But with contactless payment cards no such arrangements would be possible.

If you forget your Oyster card you are stuck (unless you buy a new one for £5), that seems like a lot for some of the poorer residents.

Buses are an important least cost public transport device and should always cater for the 1% who might otherwise have serious difficulty getting home.

The figure of £24m annual cost is less than the un-used amount on Oyster Cards recently estimated to be £30m per year. For this reason the £24m annual cost of cash payments seems a reasonable cost overhead and a tiny percentage of the overall revenue generated by TfL from tickets.

They did not repeat in the survey the claim that cashless buses would make journeys quicker. With only 1% paying by cash, the difference would be marginal. Much better to remove 1% of all bus stops!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: TfL survey - Going cashless on buses - michael - 30-08-2013 09:23 PM