SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Disgusting Dog Owners
lulu

27-08-2013 02:02 PM

A big thank to the owner who left a massive pile of dog excrement outside my front door!!! I had to swerve my buggy just to avoid it not to mention all the flies and wasps. Despite the additional signage around HOP and resprayed pavements certain owners feel its perfectly acceptable to allow their dogs to do this. I don't know what the solution is. I have reported this online and have contacted the council.

I think dog owners who allow dogs to do this should be banned from owning a dogs as they clearly have no sense of responsibility to the community or themselves!!!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wuluf

27-08-2013 09:50 PM

while I do not own a dog and agree with you the same goes for cat owners who are quite happy to let there cats c**p in others gardens.

couchtomato

27-08-2013 10:06 PM

I concur re dog owners but cat owners? Seriously? Short of tying a reverse horse feeder type contraption to my cats rear end, I struggle to see how I might dictate my cat's chosen outdoor location for its 'business'. Happy to be enlightened though...

Tinkerbell

28-08-2013 08:53 AM

couchpotato - the reverse horse feeder contraption just made my day, thanks! Thumbsup

lulu, if it is any consolation - my own cat actually refuses to do "its business" outside at any cost, not in my garden, and not in the neighbour's either (he doesn't venture much beyond that).Nothing except his meticulously clean little cat loo will do, complete with privacy enclosure and loo roll (ok, I may have made that last bit up). So instead, I end up cleaning up after what seems the entire remaining cat population of Garthorne Road and surrounding streets (25+ cats at the latest unreliable count) who will indeed quite happily use my garden for their business, thank you very much. And there's zilch I can do about that, either, you can't reason with a cat, sadly. Cool

rshdunlop

28-08-2013 03:53 PM

Can't believe I am about to contribute to a dog poo thread, but here I go:

Cats fouling in gardens is annoying. However, they do it in flowerbeds and dig it over. You are not likely to step in it on your doorstep or roll the wheels of your buggy over it in the street, unlike dog or fox poo.

Snazy

30-08-2013 04:45 PM

Irresponsible dog owners REALLY annoy me, especially since a neighbour recently outright accused me of regularly letting mine do their business outside their house. Cursing

There are some selfish people out there that make life hard for us responsible owners. I agree, if you dont want to look after them and do your duties, DONT get one!

I regularly see certain people in the local flats letting their dog out the communal door, and watch them go poo all over the grass. Nasty people !

Sherwood

31-08-2013 03:50 PM

People often seem to blame any dog that walks by for the mess!

lacb

02-09-2013 08:08 AM

Can't believe I am responding to a poo thread but feel obliged to so that further confusion on the subject isn't caused.

Cats generally cover their poo so as to not advertise their presence to predators or dominant cats. If they believe that they are the dominant animal in an area then they do the exact opposite - poo in the most obvious place, often on top of a plant. This helps mark their territory.

We have had a constant problem with this on our herb bed. Most unpleasant. The only good news is that a fox is now frequenting our garden too. They have always been around but this one is marking its territory. Ok, we have fox stool instead but this is not quite so prominently placed.

As to whether people should be responsible for their pets, I would say yes.

This post was last modified: 02-09-2013 08:09 AM by lacb.

rshdunlop

02-09-2013 08:51 AM

That is a fair point lacb, and as a cat owner I am aware of it - my cats don't cover their poo in our own garden and I go scoop it out every few days in places where I don't want it. Having it on your herbs must be a huge pain. I use thorny branches to keep my cats off areas I don't want them on and it works quite well (berberis or firethorn branches work well).

I suppose I assumed my cats don't do it in other gardens, as this is their territory. Perhaps the answer is to have a cat of your own ;-) In all seriousness, though, unless we make all cats into indoor pets (which for many would be cruel) I don't see what we can do as pet owners to address this. Dog owners CAN do something because they are with their pets when they poo. Cat owners aren't.

lacb

02-09-2013 12:29 PM

Well this is where it gets delicate. It seems that rational discussion of pets is hard in this country but, encouraged by your response rshdunlop, will try.

An interesting suggestion re thorns. I would rather not do this to our kitchen garden but will bear it in mind.

I have experience of keeping cats and dogs. I choose not to keep either in the city. In the case of a dog, I do not have the time to dedicate to walking one every day, so it would be cruel of me to keep one.

In the case of a cat, I am more concerned about the damage they cause to the local ecosystem, they probably cause comparable damage to habitat loss through development. Thousands of small animals are needlessly killed each year by cats. I know that many will say that their cats do not do this, but collectively they do. So you choose to keep a cat and therefore choose to let it out.

I realise that I am in a minority in this viewpoint. It is only through home study of biogeography that I have reached it.

I hope our fox (top predator) sticks around.

rshdunlop

02-09-2013 12:44 PM

I think that you make a very valid point, lacb, and as a cat owner it is something I feel conflicted about. I love my cats, but I also love the birds that nest in my ivy and eaves, and the little mice that make their nests under my shed. It's something I will consider once my current mogs pass on (probably not for a long time, if they make it to old age).

Snazy

02-09-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:
Posted by Sherwood
People often seem to blame any dog that walks by for the mess!

Certainly seems that way. Or that somehow there is joint responsibility for the collective of dog owners.

Quote:
Posted by lacb

I have experience of keeping cats and dogs. I choose not to keep either in the city. In the case of a dog, I do not have the time to dedicate to walking one every day, so it would be cruel of me to keep one.

Totally agree, if you are not willing to exercise the dog properly, and tend to its needs, as well as be a responsible member of society, DON'T get a dog, they won't appreciate it one bit.

lacb

04-12-2013 02:13 PM

I am guessing that there is no point in addressing the person who put their dog's poo in our green bin on collection day. Anyone with such a community mindset is unlikely to lurk on a forum. I suppose I should be thankful that they bagged it first.

This meant I went looking for the nearest dog poo bin. We are at the HOP end of Devonshire Road and found one, not far away, at the entrance to the rec. Bin supplied by Southwark - this got me wondering, do Lewisham have these anywhere nearby? I suppose if you are too lazy to walk your dog to the nearest green space then finding a bin closer becomes a problem.

Snazy

04-12-2013 05:13 PM

Putting it in a green bin is a bit stupid to say the least, however any roadside litter bin etc should be suitable.
Not sure what is meant about the green space, but mine are walked on the streets and rarely in a park.
Lewisham do have dog poo bins, but generally in the parks.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields