SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Woolstone Rd High Flood Risk
pedropart

26-08-2013 10:07 AM

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you would be able to shed some light for us on an issue which came up as part of the searches on a property we are in the process of buying. We are nearing exchange but the search result has thrown a spanner in the works for us.

The property is on Woolstone Road and is just down from Houston Road. We absolutely love the place but are struggling to know what to do as it has been highlighted as at very high risk of flooding from surface water.

The report would indicate that our neighbours closer to Houston Road in fact have the higher risk as the report looks at a range of 25m, so our property would also be classified as high risk even if it less likely to flood.

According to the seller/estate agent there has not been any flooding since at least 2000, but we wondered if there has been a history if flooding nearby and if the location of a drain near Woolstone/Houston might be a contributing factor if this blocks up during heavy rainfall?

Any insight or advice would be wonderful and very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sherwood

26-08-2013 03:21 PM

I don't think Woolstone Road is at high risk of flooding as it is downhill all the way to Catford. However, it adjoins higher streets and can get the run off from them, which can cause localised flooding if the drains are inadequate. I have just reported the drain outside 67 as blocked. I think drain blockages mauy have caused problems in the past.

Normally the height above sea level will indicate the risk of flooding. Flood areas will normally be adjacent to rivers.

pedropart

26-08-2013 08:53 PM

Thank you for that feedback.

I wonder how I could find out whether that drain is a problem.

Our concern is not just about flooding actually taking place but also how insurance companies classify the flood risk both now and down the line as the current data shows this property to be at highest possible risk classification.

Not clear why it is classed at such high risk of flooding from rainwater if not due to that drain. Unless of course there is a history of flood damage we just don't know about.

Utter nightmare!

Mr_Numbers

27-08-2013 09:50 AM

Who or what organisation has classified the property as being at high risk of flooding? I've lived in FH for over 20 years, have used Woolstone Road a lot, and I can't recall having ever seen any sign of flooding.

The only weather-related flooding I've ever seen is the 4-inch puddle that forms on Perry Vale after a heavy cloudburst, but which quite quickly subsides and causes no impact on property.

Londondrz

27-08-2013 10:26 AM

We had issues with an insurer refusing to cover us as we were a flood risk. I asked the insurer which part of Forest HILL they didn't understand. They were using the SE23 postcode as a whole and not targeted on our street.

Have a look on here http://maps.environment-agency.gov.uk/wi...xtonly=off

Sherwood

27-08-2013 01:27 PM

Flooding in Forest Hill should be a lot less likely now because a new sewer was installed a few years ago.

pedropart

27-08-2013 04:53 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

JBA risk management supply data for searches undertaken by solicitors in the conveyancing process.

They assess risk from groundwater and rainwater flooding which supplements the data on flood risk from rivers etc supplied by the Environment agency.

After much discussion it turns out that it is a small dip in the road where Houston Rd meets Woolstone that is raising the flood risk.

For anyone in the same position the standard report looks at area within 25m of your property. You can also get a report for your property and its boundaries only.

In our case it showed the risk was not to our property after all but in fact far enough away from our place not to pose significant risk.

Thank you.

Mr_Numbers

27-08-2013 05:43 PM

All's well that ends well - but it was an interesting discussion thread nonetheless!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields