SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Scootering
tintin

23-08-2013 09:56 AM

Hi there, does anyone have any tips for a new scooter owner in Forest Hill? Particularly with regards to storing the scooter (security measures, etc.), where to buy parts/accessories and good routes to take into the city?
Thanks.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

23-08-2013 06:25 PM

Hi Tintin, if you do not already have a ground anchor PM me and I will give you mine. You WILL need it! A very good chain (Almax, around £80) and a very good lock or you can wave bye bye to your pride and joy. Also, invest in a decent cover.

Unfortunately I speak from experience, there are a number of people out there who don't believe in working to buy a scooter when they can just steal yours.

There are also a number of routes into London, the most direct is South Circular, down Lordship Lane, up Dog Kennel Hill and past Kings Hospital and straight to Elephant and Castle. You will find little shortcuts. Don't know how long you have been riding but keep your eyes open, there are some Muppets out there.

davidl

23-08-2013 09:34 PM

Seconded - sad fact, but the first thing you should do is to get yourself a heavy chain and lock. I left my scooter out one day with no chain and paid the price. A cover and a ground anchor are both also good - but at the very least, get yourself a good chain.

Depending on where you're going and where exactly you're coming from, going through Peckham to the Old Kent Road can be a good way to get to the City. Worst part of the journey will probably be getting through Borough.

Sterling Motorcycles on the corner of Brockley Rise and Stanstead Road is a decent local place for parts, accessories etc.

tintin

27-08-2013 12:18 PM

Thanks both, really good to know. I have invested in a heavy lock, trying to sort out where to put a ground mount.

Londondrz, if I may ask, what bike was it that got stolen?

Do you park it street side or on your front porch?

Thanks again.

Londondrz

27-08-2013 03:36 PM

Hi Tintin, it was not stolen thank goodness. A yoof was trying to steal it but it was parked outside my bedroom window which faces onto our front garden. I, being paranoid, sleep lightly and was woken by him levering off the front cover in an attempt to hot wire it. I am not sure who looked more scared when I opened our shutters in my birthday suit, him or me.

Police were around in a few minutes but he was long gone.

It was chained so not sure what he was going to achieve.

I also have another anti theft measure but will discuss that with you tonight.

kingkong

04-09-2013 01:52 PM

Having owned scooters and motorbikes in London for 15 years now (6 in HOP, 5 in Camberwell and 4 in Notting Hill), the only time I've had a bike stolen was when it was alarmed and immobilsed, with a chain round it and a cover on it!

It was, however, not chained to anything. It was found 2 days later dumped by the side of the road as it couldn't be started.

Since then I've always used a ground anchor to chain my bike to, inside my front garden. I've not bothered with an alarm since, people ignore them and they drain the battery.

Good luck riding in London and be safe.
KK

jen84

16-03-2014 07:07 PM

Hi there

I am thinking of getting a scooter in FH. Does anyone know about street parking, can I chain it to a lamppost on my street for instance?

Thanks

shaman

09-04-2014 07:57 PM

My 600cc motorcycle vanished from outside my house one sunday evening last year, presumably lifted into a van.

New bike is anchored down in the front garden. Wouldn't leave it on the road again.

Getting it off the street and covering it up are the two best things you can do. Out of site, out of mind.

Chains will stop opportunists, but most last seconds with a cropper.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields