SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Warning
Cellar Door

22-08-2013 11:08 AM

This missive from myself contains two warnings.

WARNING 1

I’m one of old curmudgeons that frequent the local JD Wetherspoon called The Capitol. You’ll find me and my ilk muttering into our ales that this country isn’t what it used to be or that we are all going to hell in a handbasket and that children should be seen and not heard. Amongst many, many other mutterings.

It is with this last muttering, that I mentioned above, that this warning comes out of the pub to you.

Over the last few weeks a couple of posters have appeared in The Capitol. They are announcing that there will be a…

Summer Fun Day

And it is almost upon us. This coming Saturday the 24th August 2013. Between 1pm and 6pm.

Us old boys and girls in The Capitol are horrified to learn that there will be:

• Kids Tombola
  • BBQ in the lovely beer garden.
  • Face Painting
  • Games
  • Cake Sale
  • Raffle
They are selling the raffle tickets now. £1 a ticket. I’ve got one of the tickets. Even an old sourpuss like me has to tip my pork pie hat to the team at The Capitol as this all supports CLIC Sargent for children with cancer.
There are many prizes including:
  • Cream tea for two – Canvas and Cream.
  • 2 tickets for the comedy club at The Hob.
  • £10 voucher – Laurel’s Florist.
  • Pizza for four – The Hill.
  • Cut and Finish – Mirror Mirror.
  • 6 x Day Pass – Energie.
  • Zywiec mechandise and beer.
  • Bottle of wine – The Bird in Hand.
  • Forest Hill Bags – Bunka.
  • Meal for two – The Capitol.
  • 500g voucher – Sugar Mountain.
  • Bottle of Bells Whiskey – The Capitol.

Now for WARNING 2.

Us old gnarled ones are whispering to each other to avoid The Capitol this Saturday the 24th of August 2013 between 1pm and 6pm at all costs.

That means we will be shuffling around muttering on the streets of Forest Hill grumpier than very grumpy things to avoid all the happiness and fun at the Summer Fun Day at The Capitol.

So, The Capitol will be a safe haven. Please don’t move any of the tables or chairs as we don’t like change and we will all be back at 6.01pm to put matters right with the world.

This post was last modified: 22-08-2013 11:15 AM by Cellar Door.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

23-08-2013 06:18 PM

You could always pop over to the Bird in Hand.Rofl

sydenhamcentral

24-08-2013 08:43 AM

Brilliant post!

Cellar Door

29-08-2013 12:34 PM

I was chit chatting with the lovely Michelle from The Capitol. Michelle, the lead organiser of the Summer Fun Day, was tickled pink that through the generosity of many that popped in last weekend that over £600 was raised.

I observe from the CLIC Sargent for children with cancer website that £75, for example, “…could pay for two hours of a CLIC Sargent Nurse’s time, so that they can coordinate clinical and non-clinical care for children with cancer, to maximise the amount of time they can safely spend at home, and ensure that treatments can be given closer to home where possible.

So, £600 will bring so much benefit for the children with cancer and their caregivers. Fantastic!

I didn’t shuffle into The Bird in Hand. Thank you Londondrz for the suggestion. It is too posh for the likes of me.

But I did end up quickly popping in myself to The Capitol about 4.30pm. Just to make sure the place was still standing.

I’m so glad that I did as I was tempted by all those delicious home-made cakes that they were selling. And the face painting was extraordinary. I particularly liked how one of the bar staff had been turned into The Incredible Hulk.

I would like to express my gratitude to everyone. Especially for not moving any of the furniture around and keeping the place just as we old coots had left it. Well done!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields