SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Discrimination in the area
brian

01-06-2008 06:42 PM

I noticed today in Sydenham Station Approach a Gym advertising themselves as ladies only. I thought this was totally illegal but they seem to be quite open about in. Does anyone know what the law actually is. I am sure I heard that gentlemen only clubs were now not allowed or am I not correct here.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sherwood

01-06-2008 08:47 PM

Discrimination in favour of ladies is probably legal.

brian

02-06-2008 07:16 AM

Do I note a hint of saracasism here.?

Sherwood

02-06-2008 09:24 AM

We have equality laws. But females receive a state pension at 60 years of age, men do not receive a state pension until age 65!

Some insurance companies give cheaper premiums to females. Imagine if a company offered a cheaper rate to males!

Some organisations vote to remain exclusively for females. But other organisations that were for men only get criticised if they do not admit females.

Draw your own conclusions!

brian

02-06-2008 10:58 AM

So you can vote to become female only.??? Is this correct ? If so must write to MP and MEP this is blatant discrimination
I to am very upset at having to wait until 65 to collect state pension whilst ladies who have in most cases contributed less get at 60. I appreciate changing but at 59 does not help me. It is an absolute disgrace

nevermodern

02-06-2008 12:22 PM

I think the issue boils down to whether an organisation is a 'private members club'. If it is, I believe the membership of the club can vote to exclude men, or women. Indeed, gentlemen's clubs do still exist and operate within the law. However, if there's no membership, discrimination is illegal. As to the pension issue, equality at 68 is on the way. So you were never gonna get anything at 60 anyway! There was never going to be an easy way to equalise payment of pensions on gender lines: you couldn't, for example, just say to a woman of 59, "Sorry, law's changing overnight. You've got another eight years in work before you get something we'd promised you next year." So the change is being staggered. And I think that's the best and fairest option.

davidl

02-06-2008 12:23 PM

Sherwood wrote:
We have equality laws. But females receive a state pension at 60 years of age, men do not receive a state pension until age 65!

I think that under the 1995 Pensions Act, the qualifying age for state pensions is rising to 65 for women as well. This is being phased in between 2010 and 2020 - so I guess this is one inequality which is being rectified. Albeit very slowly...

thenutfield

02-06-2008 01:08 PM

Dont all get worked up chaps - I am sure it is just an attempt to redress the balance from most gyms which are populated with testosterone full geezers who want to show off thier muscles and ogle at any passing female!
A place where women can exercise and get fit without feeling self-conscious or intimidated has got to be a good thing, hasn't it?

brian

02-06-2008 01:29 PM

I understand if a club is private can choose. Does this apply to race and age as well.

nevermodern

02-06-2008 02:37 PM

I think you're allowed to set up an organisation for a specific ethnic group or nationality, and then it's OK to discriminate, but never on the grounds of colour. Don't really know a huge amount about this area though.

shzl400

02-06-2008 06:50 PM

Equalities is a complete minefield!! Most (council) pools also have female only sessions (one sort of discrimination) to avoid being accused of another (religious - e.g muslim women).

nevermodern

02-06-2008 07:17 PM

Point well made, shz. Smile

roz

02-06-2008 08:01 PM

One point about pension equality- women on the whole earn less than men despite many doing the same or equivalent job. Hence the recent issue and claims for lost earnings in local authorities. Women also take time out of the (paid) labour market to have and raise children and if they do return to (paid) employment its usually part time and insecure which means relatively low pay. So please take it easy when throwing the brickbats in our direction, if we can gain a few quid by taking it earlier, then don't begrudge us!

Sherwood

02-06-2008 08:26 PM

Women get some sort of pension credits for some of their years spent on childcare. They do not need to work as many years as men to qualify for the state pension.

I have had brickbats thrown at me for being a member of a club that did not have female members. But I don't believe there are any male members of the Womens Institute!

brian

02-06-2008 08:26 PM

I think I understand nut agree a minefield.
Roz , agree with you and have no problem in the case of ladies who have brought up children but know a number of ladies who have not but get early pension.

Sherwood

02-06-2008 08:48 PM

The differential was originally intended to allow ladies to retire at the same time as their husbands because generally ladies married men approximately 5 years older.
As there is legislation that allows ladies equality (and equal pay), I cannot see why the pension age is not the same.
Actually, a man had to take the authorities to the European court to get the freedom pass at 60 (the same age as females).

baggydave

02-06-2008 09:14 PM

Do we have a private members club in SE23, great, about time to. Can we have some Turkish baths next.

shzl400

03-06-2008 08:39 AM

Get over the difference in pensionable ages. It's historic and only still exists as it is being gradually phased out, to avoid the sudden shock of people thinking - and having made plans accordingly - that they were going the retire in a couple of years, only to discover they had to do five more. Anyone late 40's or so (I'm not sure of the exact year) will have the same pensionable age, male or female.

brian

03-06-2008 08:57 AM

It is not so easy to say ( get over it ) if you are one of those directly concerned ).

Anyway going back to original question the general concensus is that you can have a ladies only club but not an Muslim Ladies Club or have I again got in wrong.

I accept that the law is indeed strange. If indeed I wished to avail myself of a gym ( I prefer to walk a lot and eat correctly rather than waste my money ), I would have no problem what sex or race or age the other members were , it is their behaviour and manners that would concern me.

Sherwood

03-06-2008 09:25 AM

brian,

You would not be asking "Does my bum look big in this leotard?"

I would get over the obvious discrimination, if there were not constant complaints about other forms of discrimination.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields