SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Volunteers wanted for Town Team
michael

19-08-2013 12:21 PM

As we move beyond the project funded by Portas money in a bid specifically for Forest Hill, Sydenham, and Kirkdale, there is no reason why the legacy cannot be extended to Honor Oak - which has so much in common with Forest Hill and Kirkdale.

The Forest Hill Society and Sydenham Society have been leading on the Neighbouhood Planning agenda, but little has actually been achieved so far.

One of the biggest hurdles is to get buy-in from local people. I attended the Crofton Park ward assembly to set out our initial ideas and to argue for Honor Oak Park being included in a wider Forest Hill neighbourhood plan. I don't think this went down too well with the local councillors and the reception from the ward assembly was luke-warm. This is a continuing friction between ward assembly structures and any attempt at planning outside of these areas.

For Honor Oak Park my first action would be to get the 'parade' recognised by Lewisham as a neighbourhood local centre, in the same way as Crofton Park or Brockley Cross. This would provide a little more protection for shops in the area and may encourage more strategic thinking about improving the high street.

The second action that I think could be included in any Honor Oak neighbourhood plan would be for a community interest to take ownership of Honor Oak Rec and lease it back to the council (Lewisham or Southwark). This is how Horniman Triangle is owned and managed.

But beyond these ideas what would local residents include in a neighbourhood plan? What are your objectives for the area?

I would urge anybody with an interest to attend the meeting on Wednesday, to learn from what SEE3 has achieved and to help shape the future of the action groups that Chris has outlined. Personally I see no reason why the future cannot include Honor Oak.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Volunteers wanted for Town Team - lacb - 16-08-2013, 04:45 PM
RE: Volunteers wanted for Town Team - michael - 19-08-2013 12:21 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  SEE3 Town Team meeting - 7pm Thursday 30 Oct michael 4 4,867 19-11-2014 12:17 PM
Last Post: sydenhamcentral