SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002  -  10,000+ members

Home | SE23 Topics | Shops & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | Advertising | Contact
Geddes Hairdressing & Barbering Studio One Armstrong & Co Solicitors Adult Learning Lewisham


Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Volunteers wanted for Town Team
Author Message
cllr chris best


Posts: 16
Joined: Feb 2008
Post: #1
16-08-2013 06:49 AM

We need your help in shaping the future of the high street in Forest Hill as well as Kirkdale and Sydenham. Join us next Wednesday 21 August - 7.30pm at the Horniman Museum - to hear about the progress of SEE3 in the last year and share your views on what you think would support the area.

We have four Action Groups that will meet in September to discuss
- Neighbouhood Planning
- Enterprise & Creative
- Community & Social Capital
- Communications, Events & Marketing

The Forest Hill Assembly decided that a vibrant high street was one of the priorities for the area - so join in the conversation on what and how to deliver this.

Find all posts by this user Reply
Tersie


Posts: 272
Joined: Feb 2007
Post: #2
16-08-2013 01:40 PM

Funny how Honor Oak Park - our local high street (and that of Brockley Rise) is missed off yet again even though we are supposedly part of SE23. I am sure I am not alone in being really irritated by this.

Find all posts by this user Reply
Tersie


Posts: 272
Joined: Feb 2007
Post: #3
16-08-2013 01:42 PM

I understand that this was initially was set up for Forest Hill, Kirkdale and Sydenham, but involvement in local initiatives would be a good thing for HOP.

Find all posts by this user Reply
lacb


Posts: 623
Joined: Mar 2005
Post: #4
16-08-2013 03:45 PM

You are absolutely right Tersie.

One observation: HOP, or rather the people around it, are represented by 2 different wards: Forest Hill and Crofton Park. Are the local councillors prepared to work on a cross ward initiative for this?

Find all posts by this user Reply
cllr chris best


Posts: 16
Joined: Feb 2008
Post: #5
16-08-2013 09:29 PM

The SEE3 project started with bids from the Forest Hill and Sydenham Assemblies with match funding from planning gain S106 monies arising out of the Bell Green development. The S106 agreement specifically stated that the monies were to be spent on Forest Hill and Sydenham Town Centres. The funding will be spent by 31 March 2014 so the meeting next Wednesday is to review the past year and discuss what the focus should be for the next year.

I am always happy to work on cross ward initiatives.

Cllr Chris Best - Representing Sydenham and Cabinet Member for Community Services & Older People http://www.chrisbest.org

Find all posts by this user Reply
ringingcod


Posts: 84
Joined: Jun 2005
Post: #6
19-08-2013 09:47 AM

Absolutely right Tersie. This from Sydenhamcentral on the original Portas thread had me seething at the time.

Quote:
They couldn't include every part of Lewisham in one bid, it would count against it. Surely it's up to the people in Honor Oak to do their own bid?

Find all posts by this user Reply
michael


Posts: 3,196
Joined: Mar 2005
Post: #7
19-08-2013 11:21 AM

As we move beyond the project funded by Portas money in a bid specifically for Forest Hill, Sydenham, and Kirkdale, there is no reason why the legacy cannot be extended to Honor Oak - which has so much in common with Forest Hill and Kirkdale.

The Forest Hill Society and Sydenham Society have been leading on the Neighbouhood Planning agenda, but little has actually been achieved so far.

One of the biggest hurdles is to get buy-in from local people. I attended the Crofton Park ward assembly to set out our initial ideas and to argue for Honor Oak Park being included in a wider Forest Hill neighbourhood plan. I don't think this went down too well with the local councillors and the reception from the ward assembly was luke-warm. This is a continuing friction between ward assembly structures and any attempt at planning outside of these areas.

For Honor Oak Park my first action would be to get the 'parade' recognised by Lewisham as a neighbourhood local centre, in the same way as Crofton Park or Brockley Cross. This would provide a little more protection for shops in the area and may encourage more strategic thinking about improving the high street.

The second action that I think could be included in any Honor Oak neighbourhood plan would be for a community interest to take ownership of Honor Oak Rec and lease it back to the council (Lewisham or Southwark). This is how Horniman Triangle is owned and managed.

But beyond these ideas what would local residents include in a neighbourhood plan? What are your objectives for the area?

I would urge anybody with an interest to attend the meeting on Wednesday, to learn from what SEE3 has achieved and to help shape the future of the action groups that Chris has outlined. Personally I see no reason why the future cannot include Honor Oak.

Find all posts by this user Reply
sydenhamcentral


Posts: 269
Joined: Mar 2008
Post: #8
19-08-2013 11:39 AM

I agree Michael.
Each area should be distinct and have their own problems and solutions.

I always thought of each area as being distinct and different: Honor Oak being Honor Oak, Crofton Park, Crofton Park and Brockley, Brockley. I lived for years in Brockley and looked at flats in all these area when I moved and never ever thought of them as being part of another area. Crystal Palace sits within different postcodes and councils but I judge it by the area. Crystal Palace is Crystal Palace. Anerly is Anerly. Sydenham and Kirkdale are distinct places with their own identities.

Find all posts by this user Reply
Ruddiger


Posts: 20
Joined: Nov 2010
Post: #9
19-08-2013 12:03 PM

Agree with Michael that designation of HOP as a neighbourhood local centre would be very helpful. As I understand it, there should be another consultation on Lewisham’s planning policies in the Development Management Local Plan shortly which would provide an opportunity to raise this with the Council.

I do worry that HOP gets overlooked. By the way, does anyone know the best way to contact the Forest Hill Society and HOPRA? I’ve emailed both about planning issues relating to HOP in recent weeks and heard nothing back.

Find all posts by this user Reply
michael


Posts: 3,196
Joined: Mar 2005
Post: #10
19-08-2013 12:54 PM

https://lewisham-consult.objective.co.uk...6477380064

This link should take you directly through to the section of the consultation on Neighbourhood Local Centres (section 2.17). I have already commented that HOP should be added to the list. Others may wish to make their own submissions if they agree. But I have included this in previous consultations and these views were ignored - not that we shouldn't keep making the case.

Regarding contacting the Forest Hill Society, some people may be on holiday at present, but you are welcome to copy me in on any emails: michael@foresthillsociety.com

Find all posts by this user Reply
Southlonder


Posts: 119
Joined: Aug 2009
Post: #11
19-08-2013 01:01 PM

for those who don't attend could we still contribute to the discussions? For example I would love to for example raise the profile of the wetherspoons in Forest Hill. I bet that building could be turned into a profitable cinema with the right encouragement

Find all posts by this user Reply
cllr chris best


Posts: 16
Joined: Feb 2008
Post: #12
19-08-2013 09:52 PM

Yes you are very welcome to come along to the meetings of the Action Groups - the meetings will take place in the community room at Forest Hill Pools from 7.30 - 9pm on Tuesday evenings and I have put the dates next to each group.

- Neighbouhood Planning on Tuesday 3 September
- Enterprise & Creative on Tuesday 10 September
- Community & Social Capital on Tuesday 17 September
- Communications, Events & Marketing on Tuesday 24 September

I am hoping there will be time on Wednesday evening to start a discussion about each group and gather views on the improvements that would be welcomed. These initial views can then help form the start of a plan for each group to develop.

The Neighbourhood Planning Action Group have already had a discussion led by members of the Forest Hill and Sydenham Societies as we want to make sure we are inclusive and working in collaboration with existing local organisations.

Find all posts by this user Reply
Tersie


Posts: 272
Joined: Feb 2007
Post: #13
20-08-2013 08:36 AM

Sorry I could not make this meeting I was away.

Michael, thanks for your support There are people from HOP willing to get involved. I will email you separately.

Find all posts by this user Reply
Saskia


Posts: 26
Joined: Jul 2013
Post: #14
21-08-2013 02:41 PM

I think it is great that there are so many people enthusiastic about Forest Hill/ HOP and I am very interested in what is discussed this evening but unfortunately cannot attend. Thanks for the dates for the later meetings however which I will hope to be at. I wonder about how the area from the back of FH station and into Perry Vale area fits into these projects? There are at least 3 distinct little areas of shops in this area also, all of which could also do with some thought and attention. Is it part of the plan to look wider than just the main shopping area of FH into some of the slightly less loved areas?

As to the centre of FH, at the moment whilst great things are happening, I think the look of the area generally lags someway behind what it has to offer. I would love to see for example some investment in some of the more tired shop fronts (I appreciate that what can be done is limited depending on ownership), more greenery/ trees on the pavements and generally tidying up the roads/ pavements. I am sure there are lots of better ideas out there but just some thoughts.

Find all posts by this user Reply
michael


Posts: 3,196
Joined: Mar 2005
Post: #15
21-08-2013 10:05 PM

I did ask this evening what scope there was for considering HOP, but I didn't really get an answer, other than an acknowledgement that Portas Funding needed to be targeted at FH, Sydenham, and Kirkdale. But in my opinion, where we go beyond this is up to local people to decide.

I don't think there was anybody from HOP in the planning group discussion which I led, certainly no issues about HOP were raised. But I completely agree with the other views expressed on this thread that as we develop neighbourhood planning HOP should not be missed out, and I hope that the Forest Hill Society and possibly SEE3 can work with people in HOP - it is not for anybody in FH or Sydenham to impose our ideas on HOP.

For anybody from Forest Hill, Sydenham and even Honor Oak who is interested in neighbourhood planning, I think the meeting on the 3rd September will be worth attending to help shape the future of our area.

Find all posts by this user Reply
michael


Posts: 3,196
Joined: Mar 2005
Post: #16
03-09-2013 01:50 PM

Just a reminder of this evening's open meeting on Neighbouhood Planning:
Forest Hill Pools from 7.30 - 9pm

Find all posts by this user Reply
Tersie


Posts: 272
Joined: Feb 2007
Post: #17
03-09-2013 03:49 PM

Thanks Michael - I am happy to come along. Anyone else from HOP willing to attend?

Find all posts by this user Reply
cllr chris best


Posts: 16
Joined: Feb 2008
Post: #18
05-09-2013 10:00 PM

Big thank you to everyone who attended the Neighbourhood Planning meeting on Tuesday. Ongoing discussion with Lewisham Council regarding planning enforcement and further work on Forest Hill town centre - notes to follow.

The next Action Group is on Tuesday 10 Sept to discuss Enterprise and Creative and we would really like local traders and small businesses to share their views on what would bring more footfall to the high street. What support would assist traders - regular late night opening - loyalty schemes - more markets - join in the conversation to help shape the future.

Find all posts by this user Reply
cllr chris best


Posts: 16
Joined: Feb 2008
Post: #19
10-09-2013 06:09 PM

Don't forget the Enterprise & Creative Action Group meeting this evening 7.30pm at Forest Hill Pools Community room - all welcome.

Find all posts by this user Reply
cllr chris best


Posts: 16
Joined: Feb 2008
Post: #20
16-09-2013 06:25 PM

Many thanks to everyone who joined the Enterprise and Creative Action Group last Tuesday - we are writing up the notes and will pull the plans together once the groups have met.

Interested In hubs, cafes and supper clubs – more cultural activities, street art and better use of existing community spaces. Come along to support the SEE3 Community and Social Capital Action Group on Tuesday 17th September from 7.30pm – 9pm at Frorest Hill Pools.

If you would like to contribute to this group, but cannot make the meeting, please email us at: info@see3.co.uk

Find all posts by this user Reply
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields


Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  SEE3 Town Team meeting - 7pm Thursday 30 Oct michael 4 2,084 19-11-2014 11:17 AM
Last Post: sydenhamcentral