SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (39): « First < Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Next > Last »
Forest Hill Rail Station
Londondrz

07-05-2008 02:51 PM

Do Southern not have a duty in law to provide access to "less able people" i.e. wheelchair users etc for platform two?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gingernuts

07-05-2008 02:52 PM

The more complaints they get the more likely they are to change the policy. Mobilize the trrops!

michael

07-05-2008 02:58 PM

Londondrz wrote:
Do Southern not have a duty in law to provide access to "less able people" i.e. wheelchair users etc for platform two?

Unfortunately the stairs on the Perry Vale exit are hardly disabled accessible. DfT are providing funding for Network Rail to install lifts onto the footbridge from each platform, so they would say that when this is complete the station will be accessible - as long as you don't mind the significant extra distance.

thenutfield

07-05-2008 11:25 PM

Is there an email address at Southern Railways that we can use to complain about this?

michael

08-05-2008 07:39 AM

If you do wish to email Southern Railways about this issue: comments@southernrailway.com. You may also wish to include our London Assembly Member, Len - Len.duvall@london.gov.uk, or Mayor Boris - mayor@london.gov.uk

Yesterday afternoon I believe I got a small concession from Southern which will allow the Perry Vale gate to remain open after 8pm, when the station is unmanned. This means it will be open from 3pm until the end of the day (manned until 8pm), but not before 3pm.

However, there was strong feeling at the Forest Hill Society meeting that this does not go far enough. There was shock from some people who travel southbound in the morning and who will now need to use four sets of stairs to get to the platform. Others were concerned about the safety of passengers when everybody is backed up on the platform waiting to get past the ticket inspectors in the peak times.

It seems a real shame that this system of gate closures will be implemented as a temporary measure until a better solution is found. If you are also concerned use the email above.

gingernuts

08-05-2008 08:25 AM

Well done Michael, keep the pressure on! On the positive side, unless you are disabled, walking 4 flights of stair is extremely good for you!

I do agreed strongly on the safefty aspects mind you and for this reason the gate should remain open at all times.

michael

12-05-2008 08:25 AM

I don't often publish the text of letters to the rail authorities but today I have. See http://foresthillsociety.blogspot.com/20...-rail.html for the latest letter I have sent representing the views expressed at the Forest Hill Society general meeting.

gingernuts

12-05-2008 08:32 AM

Very nicely worded Michael - and my feeling exactly!

thenutfield

12-05-2008 10:50 PM

nice letter Michael, thanks for your continuing efforts in this matter. Just one thing - I was under the impression that they had decided to put the barriers at the bottom of the steps, not on the platform at the top of the steps. have I got this wrong?
Tom

michael

13-05-2008 07:17 AM

I have heard different accounts but the latest information I have received regarding the June plans is that there will not be barriers on the southbound platform, other than the existing gate. This gate will be closed before 3pm, manned 3pm-8pm, and open 8pm-6am.

TfL are investigating the possibility of barriers at the bottom of the steps (which would also seem like a potential safety problem) but that is not a plan for immediate implementation by Southern Railways.

thenutfield

13-05-2008 01:02 PM

thanks for the info

Sherwood

13-05-2008 03:17 PM

Are TfL still investigating the possibility of making an exit through the Council car park to avoid steps altogether?

Baboonery

13-05-2008 05:10 PM

michael wrote:
If you do wish to email Southern Railways about this issue: comments@southernrailway.com. You may also wish to include our London Assembly Member, Len - Len.duvall@london.gov.uk, or Mayor Boris - mayor@london.gov.uk

Yesterday afternoon I believe I got a small concession from Southern which will allow the Perry Vale gate to remain open after 8pm, when the station is unmanned. This means it will be open from 3pm until the end of the day (manned until 8pm), but not before 3pm.

However, there was strong feeling at the Forest Hill Society meeting that this does not go far enough. There was shock from some people who travel southbound in the morning and who will now need to use four sets of stairs to get to the platform. Others were concerned about the safety of passengers when everybody is backed up on the platform waiting to get past the ticket inspectors in the peak times.

It seems a real shame that this system of gate closures will be implemented as a temporary measure until a better solution is found. If you are also concerned use the email above.

Well done Michael for making them realise the egregious pointlessness of their plan to keep the gate closed when the station is unmanned, as pointed out in post 21. Algo es algo.

nasaroc

15-05-2008 11:03 AM

I am sure you'll be interested in a copy email I received this morning from a passenger to Southern. The sender has agreed that this can be posted although I have deleted her name.

Southern are hardly covering themselves in glory on this issue!
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sirs

Despite the assurance I received from you in the email below this
morning when I arrived at the gate to platform 1 of Sydenham station it was locked.

I am currently practically disabled awaiting major surgery to a knee
In the next few weeks and walk with a crutch. I can only walk for 10 minutes without being in severe pain and cannot easily do stairs - when I do have to do them the pain is almost unbearable.

I arrived at the gate at platform 1 this morning in time to catch the
Train just before 7:30 am only to find the gate locked. I then had to walk round to the main station entrance to get access to the station (this took me over five minutes. The staff explained it was to do with the work to put in the barriers. I asked if we had been notified it would be locked and was told they put a poster up on the gate at 10:30 yesterday morning - not a lot of use as those of us with problems doing the stairs only use it in the morning... (I have subsequently been told the gate was locked last night so I doubt anyone saw the poster).

Staff said there was nothing they could do when I asked how I was
supposed to access platform 1 to get my train, by now I had now missed the one I needed to be on to be at work on time. It would have been nice if they had offered, as they could see I was disabled, to walk back with me, unlock the gate and then re-lock it. No I had to do the stairs, when I asked if one of them would help me one of them did walk across the stairs with me and did say sorry about me having to do it but by then I was in tears from the pain I was experiencing.

I am not sure what they would have done had they been confronted by a person in a wheel chair or with twins in a double buggy who needed to get to platform 1; I suspect they would have done what two of them tried to me and turn away ignore the problem and hope it will go away - I didn't!

I have a medical appointment tomorrow so will be going to work using a different route but come next week (Tuesday through Saturday inclusive) will be in two minds whether to trust your new entry process is up and working or to make alternative travel arrangements.

I would like to make this a formal complaint and would like a response
confirming that this is now being dealt with as a formal complaint.

The summary of the complaint being:-

1) That despite re-assurances to the contrary the gate has been locked while the work is going on.
2) Reasonable prior warning of the gate being locked was not given
3) Confirmation of how the new entry system will work and when it will be up and running - for example next Saturday (24th May) my travel pattern will be the opposite way round to normal so I would be coming back into platform 1 and wanting exit from it late in the evening when there will be no staff at the station - do I need to change my travel arrangements so that I don't use Sydenham?

michael

15-05-2008 12:26 PM

email sent to Jim Dowd today:

Dear Jim,
As Chairs of the Sydenham and Forest Hill Societies we are extremely concerned by the decision of Southern Railway to reduce passenger access to our two very busy stations without formal consultation. This demonstrates an arrogant disregard for passenger safety and convenience, and flies in the face of the steps that the Department for Transport is taking to improve accessibility to stations, particularly at Forest Hill.

Can we ask you, as our MP, to:

1 Draw the attention of the Dept for Transport to the behaviour of Southern and urge them to recognise that access to stations is a vital element of renewing franchises.

2. Ask Southern Railways not to close gates at Sydenham and Forest Hill stations this June as threatened.

3 Not support any future franchise bids for operation of trains using these stations unless they promise access for ordinary ticket holders at all times of the day on both up and down platforms.

Yours sincerely
Tim Lund, Chair, Sydenham Society
Michael Abrahams, Chair, Forest Hill Society

cc. Boris Johnson, Mayor of London
Len Duvall, GLA Member, Greenwich and Lewisham
Tim Bellenger, London Travel Watch
Sharon Hedges, Passenger Focus

appetite4

01-06-2008 08:28 AM

Hi All,

anyone else seen that they appear to be installing just three automatic ticket gates in the station concourse? They cannot seriously believe this will be adequate during rush hours?

There is no sign of any work on Platform 2. I sincerely hope they do not intend to shut that exit as I am just one of the hundreds who use it every day. I noticed the entrance by the coffee stall has been closed several days this week and I worry that this is a prelude to making the automatic barriers the only way in or out of the station.

I don't want to have to add an extra ten minutes to my journey just to queue to get in and out of the station!

Anyone know exactly what the plans are and when they will be put in place?

Thanks
Paul.

brian

01-06-2008 08:38 AM

Whilst I apprecate your comments it is very important to stop persons who treat the railways as free ride

grahamw

01-06-2008 08:54 AM

Damn - I'll have to start buying tickets now!
Laugh

appetite4

01-06-2008 08:57 AM

Brian,

I agree entirely and am not against action to prevent fare evasion (my Goldcard costs enough without subsidisng others) but feel that just three gates at a station that I read in another thread on here is 111th busiest on the entire rail network is either a joke or an accident waiting to happen.

If they adopt a two in one out configuration in the morning rush and vice versa in the evening how many people will have to pile up in the queue in the car park or on platform 1 before it is deemed dangerous?

Install gates by all means but ideally do so on both sides of the track and as a minimum make the provision adequate for the number of people travelling.

A cynic has just suggested to me that this is a covert method of reducing overcrowding on the trains by keeping the crowds at the barriers! Laugh

Paul

brian

01-06-2008 04:50 PM

I agree but at East and West Croydon seem to manage it.
Anyway let us see what it is actually like when it is in action

Pages (39): « First < Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill Station car restrictions rbmartin 47 16,702 04-10-2022 05:30 PM
Last Post: BackOnceAgain
  South Circular closed eastbound by Forest Hill station ChrisR 3 3,594 09-08-2022 11:54 PM
Last Post: Sherwood
  Petition: Pedestrian Crossing on Perry Vale by Forest Hill station BigED 7 9,089 03-06-2018 11:41 AM
Last Post: michael
  Christmas Tree Switch On - Forest Hill Station and Kirkdale Cllr Paul Upex 0 4,579 01-12-2017 04:22 PM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex
  Car reverses into cafe at Forest Hill station hillview 0 3,588 27-04-2017 11:00 AM
Last Post: hillview
  The History Of Forest Hill Station falkor 21 39,558 02-02-2017 03:43 PM
Last Post: Mr_Numbers
  Do we need a pedestrian crossing on Perry Vale at the rear of Forest Hill station? hertburs 113 97,843 16-11-2016 07:51 AM
Last Post: hertburs
  Lines closed Forest Hill station Woody R 1 4,652 18-07-2016 05:47 PM
Last Post: admin
  Abuse at forest hill station Perry vale side Laurab82 20 21,227 13-11-2015 02:35 PM
Last Post: Snazy
  Why is Forest Hill station so busy? Ligersaur 22 22,507 08-10-2015 04:40 PM
Last Post: Andrew1976
  Energy Garden at Forest Hill Overground Station P1971 22 24,382 12-08-2015 01:34 PM
Last Post: Decker
  Forest Hill Station Subway poolsneighbour 195 185,890 15-04-2015 12:46 PM
Last Post: John Daker
  Forest Hill Station Cashpoint Faulty? admin 1 5,452 04-01-2015 05:39 PM
Last Post: rbmartin
  Forest Hill station annoucements rbmartin 2 6,933 04-08-2014 10:49 AM
Last Post: Baboonery
  Forest Hill station accident - young girls aged 7 and 13 hit by vehicle admin 4 9,534 17-04-2014 06:45 AM
Last Post: Londondrz
  The retail units in the flats by Forest Hill station exit: any idea what the plan is? SeanThomas 11 14,747 12-08-2013 01:29 PM
Last Post: Tomcat
  Dodgy Beggar at Forest Hill Station nottinghillbilly 3 8,255 09-08-2013 05:55 PM
Last Post: Forest Hill SNT
  Strong Gas Smell - Perry Vale/Forest Hill Station markusorrillius 6 10,607 25-01-2013 04:16 PM
Last Post: Snazy
  Forest Hill Station forecourt Mr_Numbers 1 5,113 27-09-2012 07:49 AM
Last Post: admin
  Departure board at Forest Hill station LeeH 20 19,529 01-08-2012 04:30 PM
Last Post: rbmartin