SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Canvas and Cream - what's it like for dinner?
Rayray

14-08-2013 02:23 PM

Anyone been to Canvas and Cream of an evening? What are the evening meals like and how is the atmosphere? I really want it to be nice because there aren't really that many other options in the area for homely British / European cuisine.

Grateful for your thoughts...

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sharon

14-08-2013 03:42 PM

I've been there a couple of times for dinner ,excellent food ,beautifully cooked and a very good wine selection ,highly recommend it Thumbsup

This post was last modified: 14-08-2013 03:43 PM by sharon.

Applespider

14-08-2013 07:16 PM

I've been a few times and enjoyed it. The food is well-cooked - their olive fougasse with oil for dunking is a great bread side! And their wine selection is relatively unusual but pretty good.

My only downside would be that service can sometimes be a little slow but there's a good vibe in the place with chilled music etc so you don't generally notice that you've been there a while!

rshdunlop

14-08-2013 07:20 PM

We had dinner there on New Years' Eve. Great food, lovely cocktails, nice atmosphere. Would definitely recommend.

michael

14-08-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:
there aren't really that many other options in the area for homely British / European cuisine.

I've got no intention of putting you off going to C&C, I've also enjoyed a few meal here.
But for British / European cuisine you can also go to the Dartmouth Arms, Sylvan Post or All Inn One (Foresters). Over in Honor Oak are Tapastry (Spanish) and Le Querche (Italian), and in Kirkdale is That's Amore (Italian), all are lovely restaurants and worth trying.

There is also a recently opened Polish restaurant on Dartmouth Road - I haven't tried it but it looks promising. It might not be what you were thinking of in terms of European cuisine, but it is European.

Enjoy discovering your favourites!

Rayray

14-08-2013 10:32 PM

All, thanks for the replies - will definitely give it a go.

Michael, thanks for the alternative suggestions. Heard good things about most of these before, though didn't realise Sylvan Post did food - not that I've ever been in there! What I'm looking for is more of a non-themed, country specific, restaurant, but I'll bear these places in mind for another occasion.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields