SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Lamppost misplacement
Mp2012

07-08-2013 10:20 PM

Hello, about 6 weeks ago, a lamppost appeared right outside the front of my house- infringing on only my property. I've since learned that skanska, who are subcontracted to 'design' the new layout of these taller posts, which emit more light, and have been moved from the curb side to directly outside houses most of which have tiny front gardens, have changed layouts and not consulted residents.
I'm trying to dispute the post that's been randomly placed in front of my house, not on a boundary line like the old one, and replicates broad day light at all hours of the night- does anyone know of a good way to approach this? Skanska have dragged it out and batted me back to lewisham, council- all to no avail so far....

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jollyrog

08-08-2013 06:35 AM

Are you absolutely sure that it's 100% on your property?

If so, the solution is a letter of intent, giving them a fixed timescale to remove their property, then an angle grinder.

mgmonkey

08-08-2013 08:18 AM

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5957

Names and numbers can be found on this thread which I started when I had a misplacing problem.

This post was last modified: 08-08-2013 08:19 AM by mgmonkey.

Mp2012

08-08-2013 08:12 PM

Thanks both for replies- no it's directly outside my house, and I am bearing the full brunt of the light because it hasn't been positioned in between houses, on the boundary. Light is literally beaming into my lounge and bedroom- even with blackout blinds.

That aside, I think the new lighting is inappropriate- it's too much for a small residential street- it's like a flood light sports ground, or as another person pointed out- sainsburys car park. The lampposts and very obtrusive - much taller, brighter and 24 hrs. Ok for a high street even, but not a residential street.

Does anyone have a contact number for John Algar?
I've tried emailing/ writing etc but to no avail, and the customer liaison officer at SKANSKA was really unhelpful.....

BT

09-08-2013 07:10 AM

If as you say the lamp is shining intrusively into your rooms, the obvious option is for the council to install shields to prevent this.

Have a read of this

http://www.britastro.org/dark-skies/inf007.htm

squashst

21-08-2013 01:09 PM

The new lights are shortly to be turned on in Garthorne Road (by06SEP). As these are Edwardian houses / small gardens a bit of a worry as one is very close to my house. However, I note that 2 of the new street lights in Grierson Rd (between Garthorne and HOP station have proper light shields to prevent light going into the houses). I'm slightly surprised that these aren't fitted as standard in side streets?
Anyway I shall ask Skanska/Lewisham that the street light close to my property be fitted with the shield to the standard of the street lights in Grierson Road (they are labelled Lewisham 13 and Lewisham 14). Be interesting to see if they take notice......

mrwandle

27-08-2013 12:59 PM

How was it for you squashst? I've put in a complaint to the council about the one outside our house on garthorne rd., via both lovelewisham and the main council website. Same issues as raised here previously. You'd have thought they'd have learnt? Will let you know how/if they respond.

squashst

28-08-2013 06:23 AM

Hi Mr W, I wrote to Skanska on 21AUG and got redirected to another email. Subsequently of course the lights are turned on. I have good blinds, but that is not really the point - if you have streetlighhts close to a house then there should be a lightshield.

So I have just sent an email to clstreetlighting clstreetlighting@skanska.co.uk, cc customerserviceteam@skanska.co.uk
(there is also a free phone number: 0800 028 5986 which not tried yet).

"The lights have been installed and turned on. As Garthorne Road is Edwardian houses with small front garden and the street lights are set by the houses, there is inevitably light directed into the house.

I therefore require a backplate / light-shield to be installed on street light Lewisham 1. As you know 2 of the streetlights in Grierson Road (between Garthorne Road and Honor Oak Park) have these backplates / lightshields - these are Lewisham 13 and Lewisham 14. The housing stock in Grierson Rd is near identical to Garthorne Road.

Please therefore install the backplate / lightshield. Please confirm by return email when this will be done.

As an aside, you may wish to consider installing the backplate / lightshield on other street lights in Garthorne Road."

Not tried Lewisham yet - will keep you posted!

squashst

29-08-2013 07:09 AM

Hi and got a swift reply from John.Barnes John.Barnes@skanska.co.uk. Lightshield promised by 03SEP13.

mrwandle

29-08-2013 09:02 AM

Will try the same route. Thanks for doing the leg work squashst.

mrwandle

30-08-2013 11:49 AM

A very prompt and courteous response from John Barnes at Skanska. Appartently they can only fit light shields to the back of the lamp, due to the design there is nothing they can do to channel the light more effectively facing the road. However he is checking to make sure the light settings are correct.

It'll be curtains for me then. Big thick expensive ones.

Mp2012

11-09-2013 08:26 PM

Sadly I've found that the shield provides little or no relief..

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields