SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Your views called for on crime and anti-social behaviour on London buses
roz

24-10-2007 11:48 AM

These are good points but deserve to be on a thread of their own as its going a bit off topic.

The point about not knowing your neighbour always strikes a chord with me. Before I moved to London everyone said this of this city. Nothing was further from the truth. When I moved into a house of bedsits , my first home in London, I was greeted with offers of help, tea, and friendship and I gave the same in return. And when we moved into our house 8 years ago the neighbours knocked on the door to say hello. They invite us round and we return the invitations. We take in each others parcels and look after each others pets. We look out for each other. Yet this is not a middle class enclave ; we have people from a wide range of backgrounds , ages, and occupations living in our street. However what is apparent is than none of us are native Londoners, and a minority are English, but the English are mostly northerners, used to a different culture of neighbourliness.
It really just takes a bit of effort to knock on peoples door to introduce yourselves. Be a good neighbour and you will reap the rewards.
The problem of not knowing your community and being disconnected from your extended family seems to be the preserve of the ' White English' ethnic group to be honest, although I'll probably get rapped for such generalisation. Other cultures genuinely seem to have much happier and richer family and social networks and ability to make contacts.

Therefore we do not need policies, just some defrosting of the standard English reserve.....

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Your views called for on crime and anti-social behaviour on London buses - roz - 24-10-2007 11:48 AM