SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
An additional forum?
Simod_the_bod

29-05-2008 04:41 PM

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone would find it beneficial if a seperate forum for 'Events' alongside the SE23/BEYOND/TRADING POST forums was created.

I was thinking that sometimes it can be difficult to keep in the loop with different events etc going on. Be it Forest Hill days, Fireworks displays, new pub/restaurant events, B.JACK Theatre or possibly anything else not necessarily associated with SE23 but maybe of interest.

I feel that when things get posted on the main forum they can get a little lost amoungst the other threads. Out of sight out of mind....

Any thoughts anyone?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Johnc

29-05-2008 04:47 PM

I think thats an excellent idea. Although events can be pinned to the top of the forum, sometimes they get missed, and I know myself that I have just forgot about stuff that I thought about attending

calvin

29-05-2008 06:22 PM

What about using the calendar? I haven't tried it but presumably we could add local events when we hear of them.

Scorpion

29-05-2008 08:37 PM

I agree, an events Topic/Thread, as a 4th Section would definitely be beneficial IMHO

Happysnapper

30-05-2008 02:47 PM

I think a calendar would be the best plan as then it's in calendar order and doesn't get re-ordered with more and more posts jumbling them up. Unless the threads could be pinned in calendar order?

I think having a separate events bit is a great idea - as you say - they can get lost amongst all the other useful bits and bobs!

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ghis

30-05-2008 02:56 PM

calendar is a very good idea

nevermodern

30-05-2008 05:52 PM

problem with the calender is that you have to click on each date to find out what's happening on each date. Bit annoying, I think. It's nicer to be able to look and see all the events as an overview.

Happysnapper

30-05-2008 06:10 PM

That's true.

I just created a test event on May 15th. You can see the event title in the monthly overview, but you have to click into the day or the event itself to see any additional information about it.

The potentially good thing about the actual calendar function is that anyone can add to it and delete from it.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Happysnapper

30-05-2008 06:17 PM

PS. Do I get too excited about this kind of thing? Yes I do....

I love databases too.

Geeky, of Forest Hill

nevermodern

30-05-2008 06:32 PM

Yes...see your point, Happy. Could the calendar be tweaked so you can see a link as the whole calendar is viewed, then click on the link for more details? I dunno how these things work... Wink Admin? Smile

Simod_the_bod

30-05-2008 06:51 PM

Thats a good idea. Hovering your pointer over a date with the link/event heading/link could work very well and stop things getting jumbled as was mentioned earlier.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields