SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Burglaries in HOP - Tue 10 Dec 13
PJT

11-12-2013 08:34 PM

My neighbours have just passed me a copy of a letter they received today from the Crofton Park Safer Neighbour Team about 2 burglaries yesterday in HOP in a property very near to the Parade of shops.

The letter reports that 2 flats within the property were burgled at 1909 hrs yesterday (very specific timing). The Police further report that entry was gained by forcing the front doors to the flats. (I believe the property shares a Main Communal Entrance.)

The Police are asking for any witnesses who may have seen or heard anything to come forward.

1900 hrs is always a very busy time on HOP - traffic is always heavy and the pavements are normally very busy with commuters from HOP station. I find the time at which this crime was carried out absolutely astounding.

The Police are offering free Home Security Surveys to anyone who may be interested.

Hope this is not the start of a spree of burglaries in the area as is sometimes the case around the Festive period.

Keep safe everyone and remember to lock all windows and doors and just be extra vigilant.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tersie

13-12-2013 02:18 PM

This also happened to friends of mine recently. Around the Hilly Fields area. Christmas time there is always an increase in Burglaries sadly. I echo PJT's comments...we just have to be vigilant and make sure we always double lock front doors.

hopper

13-12-2013 02:28 PM

I live on the high st very near the parade and I heard a burglar alarm going off a few doors away yesterday but it was late morning. It went on for some time. Does anybody know if the properties burgled had an alarm?

PJT

13-12-2013 03:05 PM

I live a stone's throw away from the property where the two flats were burgled and I took the opportunity to speak with the Neighbourhood Police yesterday. They were most helpful and informative. The burglars gained entry through the Communal Front Door by managing to open the Yale Lock. I'm told there are various methods to achieve this and sometimes the burglar can make it look like they're posting something through the letter box or pretending to be on their mobile so that to anyone passing by, it looks quite innocent.

Unfortunately, as I had suspected, the lower dead-lock was not locked and of course once they got through the Main Entrance, they then quickly broke into 2 of the flats in the property.

The Police stressed how important it is to ensure that we all Double-Lock our Doors. As I passed the property this morning the damaged internal doors were being replaced and I think possibly some work was being carried out on an alarm system, possibly a new installation.

I still believe this was a very brazen burglary considering the property's proximity to the Parade of shops/bus stop/commuters returning from work and, of course, the never-ending stream of traffic in HOP.

Keep safe and let's hope that this was a one-off in our normally safe street.

Smiffola

15-12-2013 02:59 PM

Hello,

I'm new to the forum (have lurked for a while), but wanted to let people know - we moved in to a property in Stanstead Road 2 months ago and we're burgled yesterday morning. Broad daylight, we were only out for an hour and a half! They got in through the communal entrance and smashed through an air vent in the back kitchen window. The police think there were 2 of them, 1 on the look out for us returning.

They also said they are seeing a huge increase in burglaries in the run up to Christmas, up to 20 a day in Lewisham. They were only after small stuff - iPads, Xbox, jewellery - they left laptops behind. Police have been excellent.

We are getting an alarm fitted this week - please take extra care if you are in a block with communal entry points!

PJT

15-12-2013 07:41 PM

So sorry to hear that you were burgled in this manner. May I ask if your Communal Entry Door was double-locked or was it just secured on a Yale lock only?

I live in a property in HOP with a shared Front Door, which onlyone other flat shares but we are both religious about double-locking the front door, even if only going out to our nearby local shops.

It would freak me out even more if these burglars are now breaking entry through a double-locked door.

Smiffola

15-12-2013 08:37 PM

It wasn't double locked. Sounds like you are doing the right thing. You don't want to worry unnecessarily - the police said they will always come and investigate even if you see suspicious behaviour etc. I was very reassured by how seriously they take it.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields