SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Green Wheelie Bins
brian

25-05-2008 12:28 PM

We have a communal green wheelie covering about 12 house here in Dacres Road. Where I used to be in Devonshire 1 per house. Regretably some people or person unknown is putting any rubbish in the bin which results in it not being collected.
Whilst I understand people should put the correct rubbish in , not collecting the bin at all just makes things worse.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
councillorsusanwise

27-05-2008 10:12 AM

Brian, have you reported it to LBL envirocall? As to the number of green recycling bins per flat, my understanding is that LBL provides 1 per 3 flats. When you call Envirocall to report your missing bin collection, please ask them for more. LBL wants to make recycling as accessible as posssible to all our residents.

brian

27-05-2008 10:43 AM

Thankyou Susan
I will do that, as far as I can see one green wheelie for 5 house on Dacres plus 9 on Roundhay close, many of these seem to have multiple occupancy.
They seem to have emptied the bin this morning.

thenutfield

27-05-2008 12:19 PM

Dear Councillor Wise
I know this is not the normal channel for councillor enquiries, but as this is an issue that affects many, I hope you dont mind if I use this forum to ask if the council have any plans for a more comprehensive review of the refuse/recycling bin arrangements?

I regularly find myself in the situation where my recycling box is full and overflowing (I hold the lid on with a brick!), but my wheelie bin is practically empty. Would it not make more sense to reverse the 'proportions', so we have lots of space for recycling, and not much for residual waste?
thanks
tom

councillorsusanwise

27-05-2008 12:31 PM

Nutfield, LBL is in the process of drafting a waste strategy to take us into the next few years which will meet all current, and as far as we know, incoming legislation, and the bin situation is included as part of that strategy. As you seem to be a keen recycler and from what you describe (and I don't know if you live in a house or flat) but if you live in a house, and there are not too many of you producing refuse and reclyants, ideally you should be going for the smaller, 180L, refuse bin and a green wheelie bin. If this sounds like it meets your needs, then please give Envirocall a ring. If this is not want you need, then you can get another recycling box if you wish. I hope that helps, if not please email me.

Ghis

27-05-2008 12:45 PM

thenutfield wrote:
Dear Councillor Wise
I know this is not the normal channel for councillor enquiries, but as this is an issue that affects many, I hope you dont mind if I use this forum to ask if the council have any plans for a more comprehensive review of the refuse/recycling bin arrangements?

I regularly find myself in the situation where my recycling box is full and overflowing (I hold the lid on with a brick!), but my wheelie bin is practically empty. Would it not make more sense to reverse the 'proportions', so we have lots of space for recycling, and not much for residual waste?
thanks
tom

We were in the same situation and emailed recycle@lewisham.gov.uk to ask for our recycling box to be replaced by a green wheelie bin. They took the box away and replaced it with a green wheelie bin quite soon after that (you may have to wait a few days as they go round in a lorry delivering bins so I guess they must wait for a few orders).

thenutfield

27-05-2008 10:16 PM

thank you, councillor Susan. And thanks to you too Ghis. I will get onto Envirocall.

Tinkerbell

29-05-2008 03:14 PM

Are there any plans in Lewisham to introduce garden waste wheelies? Used to live in Barnet, where they were used to collect any garden waste (incl. grass cuttings, leaves, small branches and shredded wood, except soil) and really miss them!

shzl400

29-05-2008 03:46 PM

Tinkerbell, have you got room for a compost heap? We use a shredder to chop up larger twigs and hard-to-rot ivy and leylandii prunings and it comes out lovely!

Tinkerbell

29-05-2008 04:18 PM

Yes, thanks,I might look into that - my parents have one in their garden and it works well. Just does take up quite a bit of space as my garden isn't that large, so would prefer the wheelies if they were introduced.

wayfarer

02-06-2008 08:28 AM

They piloted "green waste" wheelie bins in HOP last year, which was fantastic. The council re-cycling team at the recent market by Forest Hill Station suggested that budgetary constraints meant that it was unlikely to be re-introduced this year.

A shame as it was a brilliant scheme.

Holly

14-07-2008 08:05 AM

Along the same lines, our green bin suddenly went missing a few weeks ago. We have phoned the council to get it replaced and have been quoted 11 weeks until this can be done.

Surely if we are supposed to be consentrating on recycling 11 weeks is a little long to wait.

Baboonery

14-07-2008 08:58 AM

I kept meaning to comment on this. Our recycling bin disappeared too (town end of Dartmouth Road, one of the cluttery streetfront bins). Very annoying.

BarCar

14-07-2008 10:04 AM

wayfarer wrote:
They piloted "green waste" wheelie bins in HOP last year, which was fantastic. The council re-cycling team at the recent market by Forest Hill Station suggested that budgetary constraints meant that it was unlikely to be re-introduced this year.

Pending examination of the results of the HOP pilot "green waste" scheme they left us with the brown wheelie bins. They were all collected a few weeks back so I guess it's dead in the water now. I agree - it's a shame.

RussB

19-07-2008 09:22 PM

Holly wrote:
Along the same lines, our green bin suddenly went missing a few weeks ago. We have phoned the council to get it replaced and have been quoted 11 weeks until this can be done.

Surely if we are supposed to be consentrating on recycling 11 weeks is a little long to wait.

We've been having trouble getting a green wheelie bin too. After waiting much longer than the one to three weeks the council quotes on its website for our bin to be delivered the council eventually admitted that there were hundreds of homes waiting for green wheelie bins in the area, and that we weren't going to get a bin any time soon.

I wrote to our local council members about this. Apparently the problem is an industry-wide shortage of bins. However the council doesn't seem to be helping matters by relying on a single supplier in Germany for all its bins.

It's annoying that we're paying our council tax and not getting the curbside recycling we're paying for. I've suggested to the council that they could provide recycling bags while people are waiting for their green wheelie bins, but they didn't seem interested.

Holly

21-07-2008 09:33 AM

Thanks RussB I won't hold my breath that it will be delivered in the 11 weeks suggested. Grrr

RussB

23-07-2008 06:28 PM

One useful bit of information from my discussions with the local councillors: the council can deliver green recycling boxes, and are willing to supply them to people waiting for green bins.

mljay

01-08-2008 12:58 PM

Massive shortage in europe for wheelie bins....

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/NewsAndEvents...wisham.htm

Greengoddess

02-08-2008 07:35 PM

There are 3/4 extra wheelie bins on Woolstone Road. They appeared a few weeks ago for some unknown reason. They have never been taken away by the Council and nobody has done anything about them.Blink

RussB

02-08-2008 09:53 PM

Mljay wrote:
Massive shortage in europe for wheelie bins....
http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/NewsAndEvents...wisham.htm

Cllr Darren Johnson AM (Green) has written to me and told me that not all councils are having this problem getting recycling bins. Lewisham council has responded by asking him to provide details so Lewisham can get bins from the same place as these other councils.

It's slow going, but our local representatives do seem to respond when you write to them. If you want to encourage them on this subject, or any other subject, I recommend writing to them using WriteToThem.com.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields