SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Lewisham maternity labour ward experiences
chris23

29-06-2013 02:38 PM

Can anyone share their recent experiences of Lewisham Hospital's labour ward with me please? I've seen lots of great reviews for the new Birthing Centre but there are not many recent comments on the labour ward. I am not eligible for the Birthing Centre (and I am told I am also not eligible for the two refurbished Delivery Suites on the labour ward) so if anyone could give me their feedback on the standard labour ward it'd be greatly appreciated. Many thanks :)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
davidl

29-06-2013 06:23 PM

We had been hoping to use the Birthing Centre, but circumstances conspired to mean that we had our baby in the Labour Ward and stayed there for a few days. We were in one of the refurbished rooms.

I cannot praise the staff in the Labour Ward highly enough, from the midwives and doctors through the support staff. At all times we felt like we were in very good hands.

The standard of care - both in terms of the medical/clinical stuff and in terms of the way that we were treated as people - was uniformly excellent.

Obviously every person may have a different perception, but based on our own very recent experience, I would happily vouch for the facilities and the people on the Labour Ward - it's obviously a different experience to the one we might have had in the Birthing Centre, but in the end it was absolutely the right place for us to be.

RosieMc

30-06-2013 09:47 AM

I gave birth to my son in November 2011 in the birthing centre, but needed to receive some treatment post birth, and so was transferred to the maternity ward for 3 days.

My (albeit) brief experience in the birthing centre was exceptional, and the operative care I received was second to none, but I did have a very difficult time in the 3 days I was recovering in the labour ward after the operation. At the time, it was seriously understaffed, I did not receive the guidance I needed in terms of breastfeeding, which was difficult enough as first time mother (it was actually other more experienced mothers in the ward who gave me the guidance I needed, thankfully) and it took them over 24 hours to get their paperwork organised to discharge me (I was told at 10pm on the Sunday that I could go home first thing on Monday morning, and ended up leaving at 1030pm on the Monday night). I was also discharged with conflicting advice on the medication I should be taking.

I sent a letter to the hospital ombudsman the week that I was discharged. Things may have improved since then, because I believe that there was a review of the labour ward services as a consequence of my letter, amongst others received at the time.

milliemop

30-06-2013 10:01 AM

I am going back fifteen years here but a few days after having my baby at Lewisham, I asked a nurse if it was possible to have a clean sheet and was duly directed to a cupboard to pick my sheet and make my bed ???? apart from that al was good

chris23

02-07-2013 01:54 PM

Can anyone share their recent experiences of Lewisham Hospital's labour ward with me please? I've seen lots of great reviews for the new Birthing Centre but there are not many recent comments on the labour ward. I am not eligible for the Birthing Centre due to previous c section, so if anyone could give me their feedback on the labour ward it'd be greatly appreciated. Many thanks :)

Hopskipjump

02-07-2013 05:33 PM

I had a very good experience 3 months ago - I wasn't eligible for the BC and they had only just started the refurb but I was well looked after. I spent several days on antenatal which was fine, felt very supported through labour by a wonderful midwife and a student (as well as others) and only spent a few hours on post natal. The latter wasn't great as so busy but it seems that is the case with most hospitals. We also had brilliant care in paediatric A&E and on the children's ward not long after.

I think things have really improved in the last few years and whilst the hospital looks tired in places, my experience of maternity services was very good and I would recommend it. I also know of others who have all had positive recent experiences. It will be a great loss if this week's High Court challenge fails Sad

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

spentrails

12-07-2013 09:59 AM

I gave birth in the labour ward last October as I wasn't eligible for the birth centre either. My experience was very good, the staff were great and we felt that we had the best of care.

When I was there the hospital was extremely busy, both antenatal and postnatal wards as well as the labour suite itself. That is most hopsitals though, not just Lewisham.

Despite that pressure, the staff did a great job of making me feel the centre of their attention. Several midwives stayed on long after their shifts had ended and there was always time to talk about whatever questions arose.

On the down side though this meant that nobody really had time to read my birth plan or details in my medical notes, especially when staff rotas changed. So, if you have strong feelings or requirements on anything get your birth partner to advocate for you in those situations.

Postnatal support is much better in the community than on the postnatal ward which seems more geared for serious medical matters (but don't expect to get much sleep) and checking you and baby are healthy. Breastfeeding cafés, health visitors, your GP etc are all much better in the first few days and weeks after birth (in my experience!).

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lewisham Environmental Services - experiences of using? ambient 2 4,338 22-02-2010 08:22 PM
Last Post: lottie