SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Dietrich Bonhoeffer
michael

25-06-2013 10:37 AM

In the latest edition of the Forest Hill Society newsletter is an excellent article about Dietrich Bonhoeffer. It is now available on the website:
http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2013/06...-hill.html

Just a taster:

Quote:
Bonhoeffer’s immediate duties as a pastor in Forest Hill did not lead to a retreat from the struggle with Nazism. He fought virulently to ensure that the German congregations in Britain were kept free from Nazi control. He also campaigned with his comrades in the struggle back home – firing off countless telegrams, and spending many hours on the telephone. All his telephone calls were made at the Forest Hill Post Office. It is recorded that the staff at the PO took pity on the friendly and polite young German when they saw his astronomical phone-bill, and gave him a 50% discount as a good will gesture.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Baboonery

27-06-2013 01:04 PM

34th in Unsere Besten, Germany's version of 100 Greatest Britons. #fascinatingfacts

oryx

01-07-2013 11:42 PM

That's a very interesting and moving tale - thanks for drawing our attention to it.

michael

16-09-2014 09:55 AM

I don't normally recommend that people listen to Sunday Worship, but this week it is about Dietrich Bonhoeffer, so I thought I should mention it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04hml3g

upthehill

16-09-2014 01:01 PM

Yes a very moving story.

A couple of years ago cycling back from Kent I met two young Germans cycling from the coast to the campsite in Crystal Palace. I offered to guide them there.

As we cycled up London road I mentioned the connection with Bonhoeffer (and was thinking to show them the plaque)

"Is he pop star?" they said Ohmy

This post was last modified: 16-09-2014 01:02 PM by upthehill.

michael

27-09-2018 05:28 PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bkpjns

Melvyn Bragg and guests discuss the ideas and life of the German theologian, born in Breslau/Wroclaw in 1906 and killed in the Flossenbürg concentration camp on 9th April 1945. Bonhoeffer developed ideas about the role of the Church in the secular world, in particular Germany after the Nazis took power in 1933 and demanded the Churches' support. He strongly opposed anti-Semitism and, with a role in the Military Intelligence Department, took part in the resistance, plotting to kill Hitler and meeting with contacts in the Allies. Bonhoeffer's ideas on Christian ethics and the relationship between Christianity and humanism spread more widely from the 1960s with the discovery of unpublished works, including those written in prison as he awaited execution.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields