SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Mangles
Sibelius

24-06-2013 02:11 PM

Am I imagining it or did swimming pool changing rooms used to have mangles for squeezing costumes practically dry? I'm sure they did. This would be a great thing to have. Or maybe they're there already, hiding somewhere?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
edd

24-06-2013 08:14 PM

Beckenham Spa has a sort of top-loading miniature spinning thingy that you put 20p in and hold down the lid for a minute or two and it runs like a crazed salad spinner?
To be honest, it doesn't seem to do much more than a decent wringing out by hand does, though.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

25-06-2013 08:31 AM

really? when I've used them my stuff comes out as good as dry.

Shame FH Pools doesn't have them

Sibelius

25-06-2013 10:44 AM

I guess elf and safety would have put an end to old-fashioned mangles with kids around. But yes, I like the idea of the salad spinner. 20p? I know it's not breaking the bank, but people do like to charge for absolutely anything don't they?

robin orton

25-06-2013 11:39 AM

I've never seen mangles etc at swimming baths and am puzzled as to why they are thought to be needed. Why not wring your swimming costume out by hand (a ten seconds job), then take it home damp? Then you can finish the drying off at home - preferably after having rinsed it through first to get rid of the chlorine.

MightyMouse

25-06-2013 06:38 PM

I've seen (and happily used) the salad spinner at many a private gym (for free). Yes, it's something I'd like to see at FH pools too, though I'm just about surviving without one.

shzl400

25-06-2013 06:50 PM

There was a mangle at my school pool circa early 70's. In those days, they were far more necessary - the material they used in cozzies back then was far thicker than today's speedo-type material. I even remember when the Speedos came in and we did a science experiment weighing both types of costume dry and then wet, to see which retained more water.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields