SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Rail Franchise consultation
BarCar

22-05-2008 02:37 PM

From the London Connections blog:

Quote:
The current Southern franchise expires in September 2009, and the DfT have just published the consultation document for its replacement.

Of note:
  • The mooted handover of London area services to TfL/London Overground is off, though TfL are being consulted heavily both before and during the franchise.
  • London Overground style frequency and operating hour increases are suggested, as is gating of stations (required to operate full time) and monitoring ticketless travel.
  • East London Line phase 2 is still treated as not confirmed, but something about the language makes me think they're assuming it's likely to happen.
  • Future Southern services on the West London Line are likely to be Milton Keynes-East Croydon augmented by Shepherd's Bush-East Croydon services, as well as the future 4 trains per hour run by London Overground. Full details are given in the document.
  • They expect Oyster PAYG to have been implemented before the end of the current franchise.

The consultation document is here.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

06-07-2008 12:40 PM

Attached to this posting is a draft response regarding the consultation document. If you have any feedback on this document please send it to me michael@foresthillsociety.com or post your comments here.

Attached File(s)
.doc File  FH response to SC franchise.doc (Size: 41 KB / Downloads: 696)
BarCar

21-08-2008 11:02 AM

The companies short-listed for the new South Central rail franchise were announced yesterday. They are:

* NedRailways South Central
    * NXSC Trains (National Express)
    * Southern Railway (Govia)
    * Southern Trains (Stagecoach)
More at http://nds.coi.gov.uk/environment/fullDe...ment=False and http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7571821.stm.

Decision in summer 2009 for commencement in September 2009.

brian

21-08-2008 11:52 AM

So having just got rid of the French in Connex if I am not mistaked Ned Railways are The Dutch National Railways.
I think Southern are doing quite a good job.

hilltopgeneral

21-08-2008 12:02 PM

Ah yes, Southern. Owned by Govia, as English as baguettes and croissants.

Must be a different Govia to the one that runs Southeastern.Smile

michael

21-08-2008 12:39 PM

I think we should remember how well run the French and Dutch Railways are. It is good that there are a number of bidders as it should enable DfT and TfL to make sure passengers get the best possible service.

brian

21-08-2008 12:47 PM

Yes I do travel by train a lot in Europe and agree the Dutch and Belgian Railways are first class. We must not remember that the British Rail System in The South East runs more trains than any of these.

PVP

22-08-2008 01:42 PM

I would say the service has improved massively since Connex stepped in. Not that many years ago I'd find myself waiting for well over half an hour at least once a week for a train in the morning. Plus the line is much busier now, so overall, better the devil you know I'd say.

barty

03-09-2008 09:25 AM

Hilltopgeneral - the biggest chunk of Govia is owned by the Go-Ahead group - a bus company that started in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne!

Wye aye man, ye can tek yer croissants and shove em up ye hahahahaaaa Laugh

Seriously, Govia have done a much better job than Connex with the south central and south eastern rail franchises, so much so that they were given a new franchise last year operating Birmingham's local services and the stopping services from Birmingham into Euston as well.

And I believe there are plans to extend Southern's Clapham Junction - Watford Junction services further north to Milton Keynes as well.

They can't be that bad!

davidl

03-09-2008 12:38 PM

Fair points above.

One thing to correct, though (as a fellow pedant) - Go-Ahead started in Gateshead - near, but not in, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

I'll get my coat...

hilltopgeneral

04-09-2008 01:13 PM

Take a pease pudding croissant on your way out

(Govia is part-owned by Go-Ahead - and part by a French company)

barty

06-09-2008 06:37 AM

65% Go Ahead (Geordies). 35% Keolis (French).

So, like I said, the BIGEEST chunk.....

steveb

06-09-2008 06:44 AM

Quote:
Yes I do travel by train a lot in Europe and agree the Dutch and Belgian Railways are first class.

Last time I was in the Netherlands the train service was just like ours: regularly late and despised by the locals. Admittedly that was 5 years ago, so may have improved since.

barty

13-09-2008 09:08 PM

So who would you rather have running Southern from September 2009?

NedRail (currently running Merseyrail and Northern Rail with the help of Serco)

Stagecoach (run South West Trains and own a big chunk of Virgin Trains)

National Express (operate the old GNER intercity routes out of Kings Cross to Yorkshire, the Northeast and Scotland, intercity services out of Liverpool Street to, and local services within, East Anglia, and out of Fenchurch Street to Southend, along with loads of coaches and buses)

Or Govia, the incumbents, who took over and turned around the old Connex operations, Southeastern and South Central, and were recently awarded a new franchise operating local services in Birmingham and the stopping services between Birmingham and Euston.

or Govia?

BarCar

18-06-2009 11:08 AM

Southern got the new rail franchise until 2015...

http://londonreconnections.blogspot.com/...ement.html

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields