SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Skip lorries reversing at London Road/William Hill
Mr_Numbers

14-06-2013 07:48 AM

Is anyone else concerned about all these skip lorries reversing into the space beside the tunnel steps at the London Road/Dartmouth Road traffic lights/William Hill?

I've become much more aware of them recently while doing the school run and am slightly horrified at how they do their U-turn in the middle of the junction just as the lights change then reverse off the junction pronto. My car windows are closed so I'm not aware if they have any reversing klaxon or not.

But given the way people run like hell for their train with scant regard for traffic, this just looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Are they working on a site? Or is there a skip business round the back behind William Hill's?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

14-06-2013 09:46 AM

I am afraid that if people don't notice a very large skip reversing they should put down their iPhone/Pod of invincibility and pay more attention to their surroundings.

The reversing trucks also have a banks man guiding the trucks into the depot at all times.

Mr_Numbers

14-06-2013 09:53 AM

I agree with you about the iphones, etc, but people don't. Also, I've never seen anyone guiding these things in but maybe my sight of him from my car was obstructed by the large skip lorry.

So it's a business, not a job? Odd that I've just recently become much more aware of them.

Perryman

15-06-2013 12:24 PM

And what about the visually impaired, Londondrz?
Forget about the desirability of trucks reversing on the south circ,
but this is a very busy pedestrian junction - crowds and manoeuvring trucks looks like a dangerous mix to me.
If the level of activity has significantly gone up, then I too would like to see restrictions placed on when these vehicles can be moved - for me a 8-9am and 3.30-4.30pm prohibition would be desirable to at least to make the area a little safer when children are coming and going.

Londondrz

17-06-2013 08:16 AM

Hi Perryman, you are forgetting one thing. This happens on the South Circular, one of the busiest roads in London.

I would also rather it didn't happen but it is.

Anotherjohn

17-06-2013 02:15 PM

Quotes:

'they do their U-turn in the middle of the junction just as the lights change then reverse off the junction pronto'

'I would also rather it didn't happen but it is'

That yard used to be accessed by vehicles driving forwards into it but it seems that there isn't enough space for these big lorries to do an about-turn inside. There is a solution though, it's a massive turntable (see attachment) that the lorry could just drive onto in the yard and it gets spun around 180 degrees ready to drive out again.

This post was last modified: 17-06-2013 02:17 PM by Anotherjohn.

Londondrz

17-06-2013 08:46 PM

The site is tiny and I believe will only be used for a short time for rail improvement work. In the great scheme of things it is not really that terrible.

If you want to worry about that junction focus on the massive amount of vehicles that jump the lights. A girl was run over there just over a week ago.

nottinghillbilly

17-06-2013 10:44 PM

I agree, It sometimes feels like a game of Russian Roulette crossing that junction

Sherwood

18-06-2013 07:12 AM

Could the police occasionally attend traffic lights to watch for drivers who jump the red lights?

SElady

18-06-2013 08:19 PM

I am pretty sure it is a skip business and nothing to do with the railway so likely to be there a long time. Perhaps check with planning/roads they have the relevant authority.

Now that the skip has finally been removed in Dartmouth road and the traffic is flowing slightly better perhaps we can tackle the problem you highlight with the lorries. Another point is that there is an awful lot of rubbish on that corner outside William Hill - the bins which I think belong to them, the dentist and WH Smith seem to be very unkempt and a bit of an eyesore with others dumping their rubbish there too. Slightly off theme I know but might as well sort it all out at once.Smile

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Male throwing knives in London Road, Forest Hill hillview 1 4,732 12-01-2017 09:58 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Water leak outside Sainsburys, Forest Hill, London Road SE23 3HF Cllr Paul Upex 0 4,866 27-01-2016 05:37 PM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex
  London Road / Sydenham Hill Junction michael 0 3,677 16-10-2014 03:15 PM
Last Post: michael