SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
GP surgery in Honor Oak
beetlevintage

31-05-2013 12:45 PM

Hi,

We've just recently moved into the area and we're trying to find a decent GP surgery.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
davidl

01-06-2013 12:57 PM

Been more than happy with the Jenner Practice - corner of Stansted Road and Brockley Rise.

Welcome to the neighbourhood!

tinyem

03-06-2013 11:16 AM

I second the Jenner Practice. You can usually get an appointment same day if you need one. They do blood tests on site. The doctors that I have met have been lovely.

Samurai

05-06-2013 06:42 AM

Sorry but I think the Jenner Practice ahs gone downhill in recent years.

I needed an appointment last month, but the earliest they could see me was 10 days later. I would have been better off walking into A&E and waiting 6 hours for someone to see me.

Also, my father also needed an urgent appointment with a doctor due to quite a severe problem that ultimately ended in surgery for which he's still on medication. When he went in, they said they had no availability for a week. He said it was urgent, and then the receptionist started asking questions about why he needed to see someone so quickly. Needless to say, he ended up having to tell the receptionists everything (within earshot of people sitting right behind him), and they still screwed it up.

When he got the appointment for a few hours later, the Dr was under the impression it was for something completely different. The receptionist completly misinterpreted what it was he was in for and my dad had to explain everything all over again.

As for me, I was in pain at the time - but didn't bother with the appointment. I was in the mind of, if it gets worse I'll go to hospital. Why should I be made to feel this way when it's my health in jeopardy?

What's even more amusing, is the fact that having worked overseas, you can literally buy medication like antibiotics over the counter. Over here, you have to sit down with someone and explain potentially embarrassing problems and even then it may not be a good end result. On top of that, we're being shafted left, right and centre for meds which are a fraction of a cost overseas, and they're made in the UK.

To summise, look elsewhere than the Jenner.

lacb

06-06-2013 08:27 AM

To OP, you could try Forest Hill Road Group practice.

tinyem

11-06-2013 08:30 AM

I'm sorry that Samurai had so many problems with the Jenner. I have always been able to get appointments when I needed them. They have recently made some changes too which will hopefully improve matters. You now call in for a phone appointment, if the doctor can't assess you over the phone then they will book you an appointment - this is to stop all the people who turn up with colds that they've had for a couple of days wasting appointments that people really need!
Please don't listen to one person's bad experience, generally you only hear bad reviews as people don't tend to write reviews of good experiences... it sounds as though Samurai has been very unlucky.

shzl400

11-06-2013 07:52 PM

Actually, I have to agree with Samurai. I've been trying to get a non-urgent appointment with my regular doctor for ages. Even using the online booking system, I couldn't get an appointment with the doctor of my choice even a month ahead. Bless her, the lady on reception is lovely and does her best to help, but instead of being liberated by the online booking system, it has, in fact, completely fouled things up. Appointments are only released in dribs and drabs, some online, some for walk-in bookers, some for phone bookers. It's a mess!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields