SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
kids on bikes.
mumofthree

31-05-2013 10:09 AM

Where in Forest Hill can kids be safe riding bikes?I dont think they are
allowed in Hornimans park.No where in sand park opposite.Not much of an area in Honor Oak park.Only park is Dulwich park,but some bus drivers object to kids bikes on buses!Ladywell quite good but still the problem of getting there. Anyone know anywhere more local.Thanks.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

31-05-2013 12:56 PM

What sort of age? And when ?
I would say a quick hop on the London Overground to Crystal Palace Park would be the best option for safe riding and easy transit of the bikes (other than the stairs at the station)

rshdunlop

31-05-2013 12:59 PM

Agreed, Crystal Palace is a good bet, and going off-peak on the train is ideal.

My son occasionally used Mayow Park for a quick spin but there are so many dogs off leashes that chase him that he's given up.

Cellar Door

31-05-2013 02:00 PM

Snazy wrote:
I would say a quick hop on the London Overground to Crystal Palace Park would be the best option for safe riding and easy transit of the bikes (other than the stairs at the station)

Well done, Snazy.

After I read mumofthree's post I was scratching my head and couldn't think of anywhere.

Those steps at Crystal Palace are a challenge. Slightly less than those at Machu Picchu in Peru. I've done those at Crystal Palace a few times carrying my steel framed bike up and down. It certainly burns the calories and builds the legs.

As an alternative, I can recommend alighting at Penge West where the entrance to Crystal Palace is just a very short, lovely stroll around the corner. The only steps are those from Platform 2 as you arrive to cross over to the exit at Platform 1.

AMFM

31-05-2013 02:14 PM

or get onto the Ravensbourne path - lots of places you can join it - it runs behind the big Sainsburys at Bell Green and goes all the way to the Thames through various parks and is (mostly) traffic free. If you're in Honor Oak you can get to it through Blythe Hill Fields, down a couple of very quiet resi streets and then into Ladywell Fields. It goes toward beckenham in the other direction and again, is mostly traffic free or on very quiet roads

stefan

31-05-2013 02:15 PM

as far as I remember from my last visit there is a lift installed now

michael

31-05-2013 02:30 PM

lifts were installed at Crystal Palace earlier this year making all platforms accessible.

Snazy

02-06-2013 09:16 AM

Aah good plan with Penge West there too, I return the 'well done' back to you.
Two great solutions there then with the addition of the lift at CP station. And a choice of almost all trains that pass thru Forest Hill.

Might even start doing that myself actually.
Great effort all. Community forums are great at times.

ryananglem

03-06-2013 09:37 AM

+1 for the Ravensbourne Path. Still if they are not too old, Mayow park is worth a look.

@CellarDoor, @Snazy good calls with the Crystal Palace/Penge West discussion.. I shall bear that in mind for future travel options

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields