SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Posh parts of Peckham
gingernuts

16-04-2008 10:10 AM

[Moved from SE23 Topics > Plans to do up Forest Hill -admin]

thenutfield wrote:
3. ED is surrounded by Dulwich (posh), Camberwell (trendy) and Peckham (posh bits).

Remind me where the posh parts of Peckham are?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vipes

16-04-2008 07:59 PM

Belenden Road. The Rye.

gingernuts

17-04-2008 08:27 AM

Might be stretching the meaning of posh there....

vipes

17-04-2008 09:11 AM

Well, you know, gentrified then. Anthony Gormley street furniture and all that.

shzl400

17-04-2008 12:23 PM

As I said above except, silly me, I get Bellenden mixed up with Bellingham (which also has had regen money spent on the leisure centre/youth facility/sports pitches...)

shzl400 wrote:
In terms of regeneration money, however, the area to the north of Goose Green, known as Bellingham, had a bucket o' dosh spent on it. Although it definitely did it need it, they spent faaaar more than the usual bare minimum these sorts of projects get - and they've got a great result. So the council tenants snapped up their rights to buy and moved on and sold to a bunch of yuppies.

Don't forget the Zandra Rhodes bollards (with the pink spirals down them) too!! See http://www.urbandesigncompendium.co.uk/b...agesection

Grangerover

18-04-2008 10:02 PM

Most of the roads around Bellenden Road are quite nice, especially around Elm Grove and Holly Grove. Walk down there and it's staggering to think you're only a minute's walk away from the chaos of Rye Lane!

baggydave

19-05-2008 10:32 PM

What's wrong with Peckham? A far more happening feel than SE23. Shops people actually use, a high street people walk along, bars and restaurants hidden away, the Gowlett, a very cheap cinema that does occasional art house, no Sainsburys, some cheap tat, fake goods, a pet shop, bush meat and exotic veg, award winning library, a swimming pool that is open (well most of the time), lots of nice Christian singing, an almost pedestrianised area, eclectic mix of people, long opening hours, some interesting architecture if you look closely, and whilst it happens yet to see any trouble. Not one indication of Dell boy, which was filmed in Bristol I believe, but far more of Desmonds. And a park not full of yummy mummies.

I avoided it for years, and now pass through every day. OK as long as the bendy buses don't get me or the odd boy racer.

baggydave

05-06-2008 08:56 PM

On the subject of bad driving - my favourite is Peckham - always about a dozen cars and delivery vans parked on the double yellows, bus grid lock, people stopping without any indication, driving on the wrong side of the road, doing three point or U turns oblivious to the rest of the world, on the odd occasion when lack of traffic allows a sports coupe doing 65 mph, blacked out cars with the bass blowing your ear druns, complemented with a large splattering of pedestrians who wander aimlessly across the road. Not posh but always entertaining.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields