SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
I dispair for London
Londondrz

13-05-2012 09:45 AM

Roz, you post is very true. I have been threatened three times in the last 2 years. Once for pointing out to a scooter rider he was going the wrong way down Manor Mount and he then threatened to kill me. The police paid him a visit. A few weeks ago when my neighbours motorcycles were being stolen I went out to confront the thieves and they turned violent and then on Friday with this delightful young lady.

In all three instances I called the police and they responded well.

I cannot however stand around and do nothing. This is the problem with the UK, nobody wants to get involved and the scum know it.

Only when people stand up to thuggery will we control it and believe me it is out of control.

Sit in From the Forest in the morning for a coffee and look at the sheer number of drivers who drive through the red light outside WH Smiths. Why do they do it in order to save 30 seconds? Because they can and no-one will stop them. From that it spirals downwards.

I however am going to do something about it.

Watch this space.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

13-05-2012 11:02 AM

I'm very interested to hear how responsive the police have been. I have been on the receiving end of similar abuse and it never occurred to me to call the police, even though I could identify the perpetrators by licence plate or where they live (such as the lovely lady who threatened to kill me for parking perfectly legally outside her house and got her dad and brother to come out and have a go too).

Knowing that the police will be supportive makes me much more likely to call them in future. So thanks for that, Londondrz.

DerbyHillTop

13-05-2012 06:43 PM

My experience of police is that the threats my family received were taken very seriously the first time we reported it.

I think that wrongdoers should be told, especially in a public space where one is not alone. If they then threaten, they should certainly be reported to police for this higher offence.

Applespider

14-05-2012 07:21 PM

Yes, it is good to know that the police are taking it seriously.

While I'm not sure I'd confront someone late at night or in a deserted place, I have done so during the day. Just because someone throws litter doesn't necessarily follow that they'll carry a knife and stab me. I told a kid in Brixton last week to use the bin next time after he threw an empty bottle to the ground just in front of me. Me stopping to say it got a yeah whatever - but since another passerby (big bloke) stopped to agree, he did actually pick it up.

I reported two aggressive motorists last week too. One to his company for revving and inching forward while he was in the ASL surrounded by cyclists (while we were all waiting for a light to change) and then screaming abuse when we asked him not to do so and revving past us later; and one to the police for some really stupid driving (accelerating past multiple cars on the wrong side of the traffic islands with a blind bend coming up).

I do report good driving too though - just to balance it out.

FHSoc

20-05-2012 08:18 PM

Could one of the cycling brigade explain why it is better to trample all over the flower beds in order to lock your bike to the town centre notice board outside WHSmiths than to use the purpose built bike shelter? Was it the essential oils Wink?

(Name and shame...)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

roz

21-05-2012 06:39 AM

To be fair, it doesn't look like a flower bed- just a load of grass ?

rshdunlop

21-05-2012 07:22 AM

I take it you're not a gardener then, Roz? That's definitely not grass!

No excuse for that cyclist - close up it would be clear that these are 'proper' plants. Plus s/he would have had to hoist the bike up into the planter.

If the weather had been better this spring, those flowers would probably already be in bloom. Everything is stunted this year.

FHSoc

21-05-2012 08:02 AM

The small beds are all full of lavender (hence the reference to essential oils). The main central bed at the station is planted with an assortment of plants including hollyhocks, snap dragons and various other woodland plants.

I'll admit that non-gardeners might think the beds are full of weeds at this stage, but the fact remains that there is a large, covered bike shed next door which had plenty of spaces at the time.

ryananglem

21-05-2012 09:30 AM

Why would one of the "cycling brigade" be able to explain why a particular cyclist parks their bike in a strange place? Its no different from asking one of the "motoring brigade" why some morons park their cars on double reds.

Sheesh!

Londondrz

21-05-2012 09:51 AM

I didnt think you could trample double red lines???

brian

21-05-2012 12:29 PM

I would imagine sometime it was left there a Policeperson walked by and took no action.

Sibelius

21-05-2012 12:37 PM

What I thought was going to be an interesting programme on whether or not things have got worse in society, narrated by someone who said he was an optimist, fell pretty short for me. Did anyone else listen to it? I guess really what he was saying was 'things have always been like this', whereas I was hoping he'd say, 'In fact, if you really analyse it, things are much better'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hjs15

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

21-05-2012 02:09 PM

As a person, rather than a cyclist, I'll offer my suggestions as to why the person may have chosen to lock their bike there - none of which are offered as excuses nor should be taken as me condoning any damage caused:

• The person wanted a soft parking space to protect their front forks since they had to remove their front wheel to lock it up.
  • Activity around that bike would be more noticeable and hence the person may feel their bike is safer there (busy bike racks often have bikes stolen from them in broad daylight as people don't really take any notice of what people are doing in them)
  • Less chance of damage. I've seen at least three bikes seriously damaged while parked in those racks - from cars either reversing into the bike racks from the parking spaces or by people squeezing through gaps that aren't big enough for their cars
  • They mistook it for one of these:

FHSoc

21-05-2012 03:33 PM

@ryanangelm
As a hobby cyclist (rather than a purist / professional / addict / enthusiast), it would never have occurred to me to lock my bike in such a location. This was a high spec bike, so I sought the opinion of those with better knowledge of the sport. I did not intend to cast aspersions on the cycling fraternity / sorority / brigade.

Thanks to IWAF for providing a possible insight and to you for calling the behaviour moronic.

ryananglem

21-05-2012 04:06 PM

@fshoc

Not sure I really understand where you're coming from. If this was a high spec car parked on double reds, does that give a motoring enthusiast any more reason to know why the driver parked it there than a regular driver? This is what you asked of cyclists.

I never leave my bikes locked up anywhere. Its either in secure parking at work, or inside at home. I've already had one bike stolen from one of these places.. Yet, I'm a cyclist.. perhaps even in the "cyclist brigade". I commute on my bike and go out for rides in the weekend for fun. Go figure.

Thanks also to IWAF for a less confrontational, reasonable response.

Sometimes, I also despair.

lacb

22-05-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:
Not sure I really understand where you're coming from. If this was a high spec car parked on double reds, does that give a motoring enthusiast any more reason to know why the driver parked it there than a regular driver? This is what you asked of cyclists.

Very possible yes in answer to that question, though if you never lock your bike then it is understandable why you may not know the answer.

I suspect that the owner locked it in a place where it was in view away from the bike shelter. If you have a high spec bike then it will be a target there. I am not excusing this anti-social behaviour, merely suggesting a reason.

It's a good case for having a low spec bike IMO.

IWAF - I love the bike planters. Perhaps we should get some of those?

michael

22-05-2012 08:37 AM

I often ask myself why people with high spec cars are entitled to park where the rest of us are not allowed. Unfortunately I think I'm asking the wrong person.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

22-05-2012 08:44 AM

As a bike snob, rather than a person or a cyclist, can I just make it clear that the pictured bike is far from 'high spec'. The classification of the bike's quality appears to have great bearing on this debate so I'd hate for it to go too far on false assumptions.

Meanwhile, could one of the well-meaning-society brigade shed any light on the terrible treatment of this legally parked bike:

FHSoc

22-05-2012 09:58 AM

Not sure if I am representative of the well-meaning-society brigade, but it would appear that the bike's owner is a horticultural enthusiast. However, it could simply be that someone had placed their shopping on its luggage racks while picking up an errant crisp bag Wink

michael

22-05-2012 10:47 AM

I heard at yesterday's local assembly that Kirkdale Village is planning to get a couple of planted cycle-racks, similar to those that IWAF presented.

Certainly better than the boring pedestrian hurdles installed by TfL all along London Road.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields