SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
To Tip Or Not To Tip
milliemop

13-05-2013 05:33 PM

After reading about whether you should tip the delivery driver who brings your groceries from the various big super markets, I have now instilled a huge feeling of guilt in myself when I take the shopping and simply say thank you Confused

Common sense tells me I have paid for this delivery but I still can't shift the guilty feeling!!!!! What are other people's thoughts???????

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MightyMouse

13-05-2013 07:32 PM

Goodness no. I am QUEEN of the (over)tippers when it comes to restaurants, but I have never, and will never, tip for home grocery delivery (and that's how I get mine every week) - it never even occurred to me that tipping them might be a thing!

I say thank you, have a little chat, and always take the shopping up to the top floor where I live myself - they always seem so grateful they don't have to shlep it up there!

But that's as near to a tip as I'm ever going to give, I'm afraid...

MessyMessy

13-05-2013 07:58 PM

I do not tip. I have no idea what the drivers make, but a driver generally has training and certifications -- in other words, a respected set of skills that should command a good wage. At least I believe it's a much better wage than the fellow with the big L on his scooter commands when he drops of my pizza.

BT

14-05-2013 08:04 AM

A friend of mine was thinking about doing this job. He was told it was a 39 hour week of 3 x 13 hour shifts. This was in the London area.

Speaking to my delivery driver recently, who had delivered my order about a mile from the store on the edge of Norwich, and his next delivery was in Cromer, then another delivery near Norwich. Maybe not too much mileage in London but lots of miles out here in the sticks. As to wages, I don't think they're that brilliant.

milliemop

15-05-2013 08:37 PM

Guilt removed - tipped once but will not be repeating Smile

Funkeymonkey

22-05-2013 04:21 PM

I would say it really depends on the driver - some of them treat your stuff with disrespect while others actually go out of their way to deliver a certan package. I enjoy having a small talk while signing off the papers, and decide rather quickly if I am will to additionally compensate their efforts!

MightyMouse

22-05-2013 06:30 PM

I must say, if I had the same one all the time I'd probably give them a Christmas tip. But I've lived here 9 months, had a delivery pretty much every week, and haven't seen the same one twice yet!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields