SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Public sector
wooza

15-05-2008 02:29 PM

[Moved from SE23 Topics > Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's -admin]

Wow...new here and just read this thread... are you all retired or work in public sector you seem to have so much time?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

15-05-2008 02:47 PM

Semi retired. Never worked for public sector always had a proper job

Dotcom

16-05-2008 09:54 AM

wooza wrote:
Wow...new here and just read this thread... are you all retired or work in public sector you seem to have so much time?

brian wrote:
Semi retired. Never worked for public sector always had a proper job

Very off topic I know, but let me just say I do not work in the public sector. However, I happen do know many people who do, who work hard and are dedicated, and not for great rewards either.

brian

16-05-2008 11:39 AM

I am sorry , said very toungue in cheek . Hope not offended anyone.
I agree most public sector workers work very hard. Very subsided pensions do annoy me however, but I agree not the place on this site to discuss

wooza

16-05-2008 11:57 AM

sorryRolleyes

Sherwood

17-05-2008 11:50 AM

wooza,

Just let me know where you live and I will make sure your bins are never emptied.

hilltopgeneral

17-05-2008 05:21 PM

Hmm, but the binmen are now private sector workers. Draw your own inferences.

Come on folks... people on this site are sometimes so anxious to avoid causing offence it gets silly. Public sector industriousness? I'll be looking out for the threads on fat people not really eating too much and bears using the Portaloos.

Sherwood

17-05-2008 08:22 PM

brian,

The pensions are part of the remuneration package. Just as The British Airways Chief Executive's bonus of ?700,000 is.

One person I know always says to people "If you think that job is so easy, why don't you do it?"

councillorsusanwise

18-05-2008 12:58 PM

Just to let you know, Lewisham's refuse collectors are not private sector workers. Unlike many other local authorities, we have kept this service inhouse as it is such good value for money compared to those provided by many outsourced organisations.

hilltopgeneral

18-05-2008 04:54 PM

Sherwood wrote:
brian,

The pensions are part of the remuneration package. Just as The British Airways Chief Executive's bonus of ?700,000 is.

One person I know always says to people "If you think that job is so easy, why don't you do it?"

On the latter point, it was easy; I did do it; the reason I don't do it anymore is that the lack of performance from a significant proportion of colleagues was too depressing.

On the former, how does that now stand when average public sector salary is reportedly now higher than the average private sector salary, after Gordon's program of state expansion?

Baboonery

18-05-2008 07:51 PM

hilltopgeneral wrote:
Hmm, but the binmen are now private sector workers. Draw your own inferences.

Come on folks... people on this site are sometimes so anxious to avoid causing offence it gets silly. Public sector industriousness? I'll be looking out for the threads on fat people not really eating too much and bears using the Portaloos.

Glib, arrogant, condescending posts suggesting that public sector jobs are 'not proper' (with the obligatory 'oh it was only a joke' comeback) don't really compare with those rather silly examples.

Sherwood

18-05-2008 08:28 PM

I don't think anyone in the public sector gets a ?700,000 bonus.

Correct me if I am wrong with a specific example.

hilltopgeneral

18-05-2008 10:05 PM

Baboonery wrote:
Glib, arrogant, condescending posts suggesting that public sector jobs are 'not proper' (with the obligatory 'oh it was only a joke' comeback) don't really compare with those rather silly examples.

By no means was it 'only a joke'. I fully believe that less work gets done in the public sector.

I take it you're a flexi-time kinda man yourself then?

hilltopgeneral

18-05-2008 10:07 PM

Sherwood wrote:
I don't think anyone in the public sector gets a ?700,000 bonus.

Correct me if I am wrong with a specific example.

I think you're probably correct. Why would they?

michael

18-05-2008 10:47 PM

John Armitt, chief executive of Network Rail, salary and bonus of ?878,000 - rising to more than ? 1m when pension contributions are included.

Ed Richards, who was appointed earlier this month to head Ofcom, the broadcasting regulator. He is expected to be paid a similar amount to Stephen Carter, his predecessor, who earned ?369,417 plus benefits giving him a total package of ?440,000.

Source - Sunday Times, 8th October 2006

However, you may wish to consider that the BBC is publicly funded and presenters such as Jonathan Ross earn million of pounds of public money from the BBC. ?700k bonuses may be rare in most of the public sector, but there are exceptions such as the BBC, Post Office, Network Rail, and Ofcom. But would Network Rail operate any better in the private sector? I think we tried that and found that less work gets done in the private sector.

If there are some in the public sector who get paid too much and work too little, then we should remember all those that do not get paid enough and work very hard in the public sector. I'm thinking particularly of nurses but there are many others who contribute so much more than people of equivelent pay in the private sector. How many nurses could be paid for by the earnings of Jonathan Ross alone?

Baboonery

19-05-2008 09:12 AM

hilltopgeneral wrote:

Baboonery wrote:

By no means was it 'only a joke'. I fully believe that less work gets done in the public sector.

I take it you're a flexi-time kinda man yourself then?

The only a joke thing referred to Brian's limp explanation of his comment, not yours.

No, I'm not. I just don't think you should so arrogantly belittle people just because of who their employer is, straight from the Littlejohn songbook.

hilltopgeneral

19-05-2008 12:59 PM

Baboonery wrote:
No, I'm not. I just don't think you should so arrogantly belittle people just because of who their employer is, straight from the Littlejohn songbook.

That's fair enough. I think any criticism is more fairly directed at the way things are managed rather than - as you say - belittling people just because of who their employer is. You do however get a significant minority who abuse this - not something exclusive to the public sector but rather more prevalent.

But give me a load of nurses over Jonathan Ross anyday.

hilltopgeneral

19-05-2008 01:03 PM

michael wrote:
But would Network Rail operate any better in the private sector? I think we tried that and found that less work gets done in the private sector.

I think that's more to do with a ridiculous operating model and an illustration of a sector where the profit motive is not necessarily appropriate. Good example of one area that public sector can be best though. Similarly competing private sector businesses gave us the uncoordinated railway system in SE London that continues to hamper us today.

Dotcom

19-05-2008 01:17 PM

hilltopgeneral wrote:

Baboonery wrote:

That's fair enough. I think any criticism is more fairly directed at the way things are managed rather than - as you say - belittling people just because of who their employer is. You do however get a significant minority who abuse this - not something exclusive to the public sector but rather more prevalent.

But give me a load of nurses over Jonathan Ross anyday.

HTG - please explain 'significant minority.'

brian

19-05-2008 02:19 PM

Not sure this is a matter for SE23 as applies to the whole UK of GB and NI.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields