SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Water Filters
adavltd

14-04-2013 05:49 PM

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone uses water filters in the Forest Hill area and if so which kind?

I travel around a lot, and one thing I always notice when returning to London / Forest Hill is how horrible the water tastes (and how hard it is too).

I'm not keen on buying a Britta Filter jug type contraption because from past experience, I find that the filter runs out quickly and it's never replaced as per the manufacturers instructions.

So... Anybody have an under sink drinking water filter? worth it or not?

Thanks,

Steve

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shzl400

15-04-2013 02:53 PM

Love the taste of London water. Hate soft water, it's just so slimy. Always miss it when I go away. Yes, the limescale is a pain, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

Applespider

15-04-2013 07:31 PM

I was looking into fitting a water softener/filter but stopped after various friends told me that you can't have one in the kitchen since the salt in most softeners means you can't use it for drinking/cooking. I have since read about some which don't involve salt which are more about filtering than softening but since my main goal was reducing scale, I don't really have any more detail. Sorry.

steveb

22-04-2013 08:58 AM

We had a filter installed when we had our kitchen re-fitted. Produces lovely fresh tasting water. Only need to change filters twice a year. And definately no salt taste!

SkipJumpHOP

28-04-2013 05:45 PM

Hi there, would you mind sharing approx how much it cost to fit your filter and the cost of the replacement filters as would like to get one but dont know about cost.

Les

02-05-2013 05:50 PM

Hi - I have a Franke Tri-Flow tap and filter and it seems to work well. The filter is ceramic and charcoal and seems to make a good cup of tea which is the main point! The filters are about £40 each.

The downside is that the tap is at least £400 a throw, and fitting is a pain, but the tap was already fitted when we moved in.

Jane2

09-05-2013 08:51 PM

Hi - we had a water filter tap fitted in our previous flat when we had a new sink put in. It was a Franke Mini Triflow and was separate to the main tap. I definitely preferred the taste of the filtered water, I am not that keen on London water.

Our plumber fitted in quite easily. However you do need an extra hole in the work top to fit it into. Much more convenient than those jug things and probably not more expensive in the long run because the filters last for ages.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields