SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Listed buildings
stevegrindlay

10-05-2008 11:56 PM

I was delighted to learn that English Heritage recently decided that both Fairlawn School, Honor Oak Road, and High Street Buildings, Kirkdale be listed Grade II.

It is not easy find details of listed the buildings in our area, or the degree of protection that they enjoy. I compiled the following list some time ago, with occasional updates. I know I've missed some buildings, but it is still fairly comprehensive and gives an idea of what are considered the most important buildings in Forest Hill and Sydenham.

Basically, listed buildings fall into two categories: statutorily listed buildings are approved by English Heritage, and need listed building consent "to make alterations to any part of the building, both inside and outside". On the other hand, locally listed buildings have local architectural or historic interest but "their level of protection is very limited and consent is not normally needed for their demolition... [but] the Council will seek to ensure and encourage their preservation and use its powers where possible to protect their character and setting?. Buildings in a conservation area come somewhere between statutory and locally listed buildings with controls to "limit the size of extensions, cladding, alterations to the roof and the installation of satellite dishes ... replacing windows, doors, changing roof coverings or development in front gardens."

Statutorily listed buildings in Forest Hill:
Horniman Museum, Grade II*
Horniman conservatory, forecourt and railings, Grade II
Tewkesbury Lodge Folly, Liphook Crescent, Grade II
Hill House, Honor Oak Road, Grade II
Ashberry Cottage, Honor Oak Road, Grade II
Capitol Cinema, Grade II
Forest Hill Library, Grade II
Telephone boxes outside Capitol, Grade II
Telephone box at junction of Sydenham Hill, Lordship Lane, Grade II
Octagonal pillar boxes in Devonshire Road, Grade II
Telephone box in Devonshire Road, Grade II
101-103 Perry Vale, Grade II
Fairlawn School, Honor Oak Road, Grade II

Locally listed buildings in Forest Hill:
Devonshire Road sorting office
Boundary posts in Stanstead Road
White House, Westwood Park

Statutorily listed buildings in Sydenham:
Sunnydene, 108 Sydenham Hill, Grade II
The Wood, 16 Sydenham Hill, Grade II
32, Sydenham Hill, Grade II
Lammas Green, Grade II
Eliot Lodge, Kirkdale, Grade II
124-128 Kirkdale, Grade II
Farnborough House, Kirkdale Grade II
12-28 Westwood Hill, Grade II
St Barts Church, Westwood Hill Grade II*
5-11 Jews Walk, Grade II
2-4 Jews Walk, Grade II
Fountain, Jews Walk, Grade II
Old Cedars, Westwood Hill, Grade II
122-124 Sydenham Road, Grade II
All Saints, Trewsbury Road, Grade II
Livesey Hall, Bell Green, boundary wall & war memorial Grade II
St Antholin's spire, Round Hill Grade II
104 Dartmouth Road, Grade II
Holy Trinity School, Dartmouth Road, Grade II
Forest Hill Library, Dartmouth Road, Grade II
Christ Church, South Road, Grade II
Perry Vale Fire Station Grade II
High Street Buildings, Kirkdale Grade II

Locally listed buildings in Sydenham:
107-109 Dartmouth Road
Phoenix House, Eliot Bank
Property marks, Hillcrest Road
186 Kirkdale
Mount Gardens (Ashtree Cottage, Rouselle Cottage, Lynton Cottage, The Cottage)
Sydenham Hill boundary marks
37-43 Sydenham Park
Property mark, Sydenham Park
3 Redberry Grove
88 Venner Road

There are many building not mentioned above that merit some sort of protection. A group called the Lewisham Local History Council (of which I'm a member) is trying to update the local list. Does anyone have suggestions of buildings that might be included on the local list (that are not already in conservation areas)?

I'm posting this on both Sydenham Town and SE23.com forums as, from an historical point of view, the two districts are congenitally united.

(Admin: I know that half of this post doesn't refer to SE23, but half does).

For a random selection of items on local history visit my blog at:
http://sydenhamforesthillhistory.blogspot.com/
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Elizabeth25

11-05-2008 09:03 AM

Isn't the Perry Vale Fire Station in Forest Hill? Or am I thinking of the wrong building? I think all of Perry Vale is SE23. When it hits Sydenham isn't it Perry Rise?

stevegrindlay

11-05-2008 09:26 AM

Elizabeth25 wrote:
Isn't the Perry Vale Fire Station in Forest Hill? Or am I thinking of the wrong building? I think all of Perry Vale is SE23. When it hits Sydenham isn't it Perry Rise?

Thanks, Elizabeth, you're quite right. My own list doesn't distinguish between SE23/SE26/Sydenham/Forest Hill so I divided them up as best I could, very late last night. In fact, now I look at it, FH Library and Christ Church should also be in Forest Hill.

It seems SE23.com does not allow users to edit their posts. As Sydenham Town forum does, any changes (and I've already had to make one) will have to appear there

For a random selection of items on local history visit my blog at:
http://sydenhamforesthillhistory.blogspot.com/
nevermodern

11-05-2008 02:32 PM

Was wondering about Taymount Grange and Forest Croft. Certainly distinctive and, at least with Taymount Grange, original '30s windows and facade still intact.

shzl400

11-05-2008 04:55 PM

What on earth architectural merit does Fairlawn School have that merits it being listed? Especially over and above the scheduled-for-demolition pools and Louise House..... Wrong, very wrong!!!

Did the Rivoli get a listing in the end? (I know, outstide the scope of this immediate area).... I remember there was an attempt to get it listed, to stop it being sold to developers.

blushingsnail

12-05-2008 09:25 AM

English Heritage have a database of photos of listed buildings: Images of England.

I've only tried the basic search so far (you need to register for the advanced search, but it is free) and the results are very hit and miss, partly because some buildings (eg Horniman Museum) have been categorised as being in Catford! If you type in the name of the road you have a better chance of the right result (eg Perry Vale will show the old fire station and the cottages at 101 and 103) but then you'll only find buildings you already know about, so that's not much use.

thenutfield

12-05-2008 10:59 PM

according to that English Heritage site, the old fire station is "Romantic building in modified Art and Craft style with Japanese echoes."

and i thought it was just the old council housing office!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields