SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Primary schools in FH advice
martha

20-03-2013 08:26 PM

Hi all

We have just moved in to FH and have to find a good local school for our boy.
We are living just opposite Mayow Park and have been thinking of St Michaels primary school, St Williams, St Philip Neri as we heard that children in catholic schools tends to do better, we also have been looking at Kilmorie and Dalmain.
I understand that there has been a lot of similar questions asked recently but reading a offsted reports and other statistic is not helping us at all.
We would be very grateful to hear what you think of those schools and their performance and how will they prepare my boy for secondary education.

Thanks in advance
Martha

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Deano

20-03-2013 08:43 PM

Have a look at them all. With Lewisham adding bulge classes all over the place you could get offered one that is not necessarily that near t o you. Look at the ousted inspections to get a feel.

Kingly

21-03-2013 11:47 AM

HI there. We have just moved our children to Kilmorie. They have only been there since September but so far I am very happy. My eldest son is at Forest Hill School. Again, more than happy with the school.

michael

21-03-2013 12:06 PM

Sounds like you might be close to Adamsrill, which I've always understood to be an excellent school, and much closer to Mayow than Kilmorie or Dalmain.

Satchers

13-04-2013 10:51 PM

There really is no better way than visiting the schools in question. The head teacher will be able to advise whether you are close enough to be likely of getting a place - a key issue with Schools in London now because of high demand - and you will see which schools you like the feel and ethos of.

Satchers

13-04-2013 10:53 PM

Schools usually have visit sessions that you can sign up to a couple of times a term

Littlebelka

14-04-2013 09:57 AM

I agree it is important to go for the open day and see how things are with your own eyes.

Re catholic schools. Martha, are you the practising catholic?

Prampusher

19-04-2013 12:45 PM

Marta - the reality is that there are few real choices in primary schools these days. You are definitely too far away from Dalmain. Kilmorie is more possible as they have a large number of spaces now, but I think Adamsrill is your closest non-faith school. St Michaels and St Philip Neri are both faith schools (obviously) and are also very popular. My understanding is that St Philip Neri is pretty much impossible to get into unless you are a practising Catholic living in the area. St Michaels has a few non-faith places but I dont know much about it. Best to contact the school, and also check the Lewisham schools admission webpages to see what the home to school distance was for each (non-faith) school last year. THis will give you a fair idea of what "choice" you have. Good luck!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Catchment areas for primary schools in SE23 for September 2015 Reception OakR 2 5,568 02-05-2015 12:32 PM
Last Post: OakR
  Talk to me about primary schools (again!) hellohello 55 62,353 08-05-2011 08:07 PM
Last Post: pebble