SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
ADT security consultants cold calling
SkipJumpHOP

29-03-2013 02:52 PM

Hi has any one else had a couple of guys (a white guy and a black guy) offering to do security checks on their house? We had some cold callers who said they were security consultants, who wanted to come into the house, they didn't have a card or id but were wearing ADT security bibs. We have a burglar alarm, they seemed suspicious and they didn't seem to be knocking on doors on the rest of the street. We didn't let them in. given spate of break ins in the area it would be good to be vigilant as they could be bogus.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SonicAttack

29-03-2013 03:33 PM

It certainly sounds very suspicious. I hope you've notified the police.

Erekose

29-03-2013 03:43 PM

They have been doing the rounds around our road for a few evenings now. Last night I saw them in Trilby road at around 6:15 and then in our road at around 7:30.

Erekose

31-03-2013 06:31 PM

I spoke to ADT and they do send out door to door sales people to target areas so may well be legit. The chap I spoke to said they inform the local police of the area and duration of the promotion.

se23northener

12-08-2013 05:38 PM

This evening we had a door-to-door sales call from 3 very smartly dressed, but slightly suspicious-seeming guys who claimed to be from ADT. This is the third time someone from ADT has knocked on the front door in the last month or so, but this time seemed somehow different. Different questions, more pushy, more insistent, as though trying to find out about our alarm and trying to get inside the house.

Have reported to the safer neighbourhood team, who say they will be keeping a look out for them this evening, and also to ADT. We live off Grierson Road. Anyone else see them?

Rayray

12-08-2013 09:06 PM

Two guys, quite well dressed, knocked on our door on Devonshire road this evening. I spoke to them at length to see what they were about. They were quite pushy and wanted to come inside. They claimed to be offering a free ADT alarm to 20 houses on the street as a marketing ploy. The alarms were somehow monitored remotely but this required an ongoing fee.

They wanted to know quite a bit about my alarm, my neighbours, sensors, exits to the garden. Seemed a little suspect to be honest. No business card or other way of contacting them. I got the impression it was either quite an elaborate scheme to gather information for mass burglary, or a highly invasive and persistent form of doorstep selling.

BT

13-08-2013 07:27 AM

I have made a 'No Cold Callers' sign and put it up next to my doorbell. It doesn't stop all of them but seems to work most of the time.

Printed out A5 and laminated it lasts for about a year before the ink fades and has to be re-printed. Please feel free to make use of it.

Snazy

16-08-2013 03:27 PM

Great sign Bt Thumbup

robin orton

16-08-2013 07:02 PM

Hm. I'm not sure I'd want to have anything quite so aggressive written on my front door. I'd be afraid it wouldn't give a very welcoming impression to casual visitors!

Forest Hill SNT

19-08-2013 01:30 PM

ADT Head Office have been made aware with regards to this situation.
ADT state that any official person promoting the company will be wearing a high vis ADT jacket, a vetting badge on display showing a personal identification number, they should also have a facial photograph of the member of staff on it.
The card should also have a contact telephone number on it which can be called at any time to check the details shown.

If any one knocks at your door claiming to work for ADT please ensure that they are wearing all the correct uniform, if they have their identification badge on, ask for the telephone number from it to call head office.

If they are genuine they wont mind you making enquiries.

If they are not wearing the correct uniform and they are trying to coax their way in to your home call 999 and state that you believe you may have a bogus caller at your address.

Kind regards

Forest Hill SNT

Tel: 0208 721 2723
Email: ForestHill.SNT@met.police.uk

Forest Hill Safer Neighbourhood Team
content.met.police.uk/Team/Lewisham/Foresthill
Sherwood

20-08-2013 09:03 PM

It is not normally advisable to call the telephone number a visitor gives you. Look it up in a directory or online to check you have the genuine telephone number.

mgmonkey

21-08-2013 12:22 PM

I had a visit a while back and told them straight away that I was not interested, to which they started to question why, which just got me rialled.

Have since bought a No cold callers, junk mail, religous callers, etc sticker from Ebay for thr front door and it seems to work a treat!

Thumbsup

wendyb

03-12-2013 08:08 PM

Had a brief visit from a 'security consultant' - appears to be the same guys again? They used a distinctive doorbell ring followed swiftly by urgent knocking.

Cellar Door

03-12-2013 11:25 PM

wendyb wrote:
They used a distinctive doorbell ring followed swiftly by urgent knocking.

Thank you very much for the update, wendyb.

I cannot wait for them to visit.

dunc_30

04-12-2013 08:58 AM

Just tell anyone (bogus or genuine) that knocks on your door asking about the security status of your property that you would never disclose this information with a stranger on your doorstep and that the presumption that your would as laughable!' That usually sends them on their way

This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 09:03 AM by dunc_30.

Poppy9560

04-12-2013 09:23 AM

dunc I may be paranoid but if someone came to my door asking about security I would take the SNT's advice and be straight on the phone to the police!

dunc_30

04-12-2013 09:44 AM

Maybe a little paranoid. I had an ADT representative cold call in August and politely sent him on his way. I called ADT and they confirmed they were canvassing in the area and I just offered them my opinion on the matter

This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 09:45 AM by dunc_30.

Pippi

04-12-2013 10:11 AM

This happened to us almost as soon as we moved into the area (back in May)....the guy (young, white, blond, boyband-ish looking, bit spivvy, no uniform or ID) virtually stepped over the threshold before we could do or say anything, went into his patter, whereupon my husband quickly blocked the door and ushered him back outside onto the doorstep.

He then asked why we weren't interested, and my first and only remark to him was:

'Because it's SATURDAY NIGHT, dude!'

It would never even have occured to us to get into any sort of detailed or info-offering conversation with him.....and I strongly advise anybody to *never* do this!

Cold-calling is just obnoxious, 'legitimate' or otherwise!

Mr_Numbers

16-12-2013 02:43 PM

ADT 'security consultant' still in the area.

stillness_catherine

19-12-2013 11:29 AM

A young woman not from ADT, but claiming to be from another security company (PSN securities?) came cold calling at my house in Stillness Road last night, asking about the security of my house. My neighbour had come round earlier to warn me that she had read on East Dulwich forum about a young woman bogus security consultant, and that someone fitting that description had been to their house earlier, so I didn't speak to her for long (and I generally don't like cold callers anyway and always try to send them away politely but quickly). But she was still quite pushy in the short time that we spoke.

So I just wanted to warn others that this young blonde woman may be a bogus 'security consultant' trying to scope out your house for a burglary.

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields