SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Fifty grand for us to spend on improvements
Scorpion

23-10-2007 04:06 PM

Thanks for the clarification Ooperlooper :-) and also, congrats for helping to get this funding approved (as i think you may have had part in this, re: the link to older forum thread and suggestions) Well done!

I think its great that monies have been allocated to improve Forest Hill. As for the ?40,000 to be spent on the "triangle" - that is a LOT of money. Personally I think the amounts should be reversed - ie ?10,000 for the Playpark and ?40,000 for general FH " small revamp" but............
I agree with suggestions put forward by some for the ?10,000 and am still thinking of the best uses for it, im my opinion (it won't go that far, obviously)

Regarding the Horniman Triangle Play park, I would hope that the paddling pool could be put back in action, in the Summer. I used to be a regular there many years ago, with my children, when (almost) all parks paddling pools in existence, were always open in hot weather, but that is now, sadly, a thing of the past. When I have asked as to why the paddling pool was not open, in the past few years (with water in it, in extremely hot weather) I have been told that there are not enough people to man it (fill it up etc)
The little building next to the play area (used to be the old toilet block, if memory serves me correctly) definitely either needs knocking down, or, if possible, doing up and to be used again (a toilet, again, would be great)
The little (cafe) building (opposite, at other entrance) well, I would love to see that back too, in the Summer at least.
Obviously, some new play equipment would be great, also and MOST IMPORTANTLY!:- more entrances to this space (from the top end, as not everyone lives near the London Road end) definitely, as, currently, there are none, which is probably why that part is not used much - its a shame, lovely grass area and it's just sitting there, waiting to be put to SOME good use)

As for the rest of this open space, I REALLY would love to see an enclosed Dog Area further up, in the grassy area. That area is not really used. Its on a hill and not the best for this purpose BUT, at least it would be used then? (with dog-waste bins present please - I always clean up after my dog) and some lighting)
Enclosed dog areas hardly exist anymore, which to me is a shame, especially as a lot of people often complain of dogs off the lead, running about amongst their children, bike riders, runners, walkers etc.
I, as a dog owner (and parent) would really like to be able to exercise my dog in a seperate area, away from children and everyone else, so he gets his exercise and playtime, without worries about non dog-friendly people being worried/complaining, and also (which some other dog owners will have also had to consider before - ie with puppies and non-well trained (as yet) dogs - to stop them running off, amongst the other users of said space/park. (Dogs are not trained from the minute you get them, like children LOL) Years ago this was the norm - why is it that most parks/open spaces seem to have done-away with these? Surely it would be better if they were available?
No dogs are allowed in that whole area, understandably, as its termed as a childs play park, but as more than 3/4's of it are not used, couldn't the space that is not a play area be used, for a good purpose?
Seperate entrances for dogs (half way up and up the top end) would be good.
Horniman's park closes early in Winter, and many local dog-owners do not have anywhere to take their dogs for a run about, that is safe etc. in the dark.

To the "other end of the spectrum" - if no enclosed dog-area would be entertained, then - a "bigger kids" play park - ie Adventure Playground" (oh I used to love them! lol) Big Kids climbing frame etc.

Well, thats just some of my thoughts on this, for now.

Sue

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Fifty grand for us to spend on improvements - Scorpion - 23-10-2007 04:06 PM