SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Fifty grand for us to spend on improvements
Ooperlooper

19-10-2007 10:54 PM

An email newsletter from Councillor Alex Feakes today (pasted below, hope there's no problem reproducing this?) said that ?10,000 has been obtained for spending on the local area and a further ?40,000 for the 'Horniman Play Park' (Horniman Triangle, I think).

Quote:
Localities Fund

Forest Hill ward has ?10,000 from this year?s Localities Fund to spend on small schemes to improve the general well-being of our local area. We are keen to get as many good ideas as possible and would welcome your input ? please email us at foresthill@lewishamlibdems.org.uk with your ideas, or come along to the town meeting on the 24th September. (sic)

* Horniman Play Park

The National Lottery has awarded Lewisham Council ?40,000 to spend on play equipment in Horniman Play Park. If you have ideas on how it could be spent, then please do get in touch at foresthill@lewishamlibdems.org.uk.

There was some discussion of possible improvements to the Horniman Triangle previously here: http://www.se23.com/forum-archive/messages/9/1135.html

Any further ideas now that there is actually some cash waiting to be spent?

And what about that other ?10k?

I suggest some simple but visible improvements to the area out front of Forest Hill station - e.g. get rid of that pointless notice board that sits in a bed of weeds and let's have some nice looking containers of trees and shrubs. Making this area look nicer might, albeit in a small way, help encourage new businesses to open up in the vacant premises, and would at least help brighten up the daily commute for all who use the station.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Happysnapper

20-10-2007 07:55 AM

I agree, making the area outside the station would benefit everyone. I think the noticeboard is a good idea, but only if it's used! I thought there was a Forest Hill Town Centre Manager? Does that post not exists anymore?

I've downloaded the strategy for FH and need to have a geek over it later, but we'd need to make sure that nothing we did would be pulled down/thrown out/duplicated when they start implementing that.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hilltopgeneral

20-10-2007 10:22 AM

We do still have a town centre manager, I believe, but share with other areas.

Quite what she does is anyone's guess. Apart from building up a decent final salary pension.

nevermodern

20-10-2007 12:46 PM

Julie Sutch, isn't it? Not the most visible of ladies. Yes, let's do something around the train station. We're gonna have to live with it for a good few years yet, so let's at least make it nice. Someone mentioned a mural on the side of WHSmith in another thread, for example

Ooperlooper

21-10-2007 07:13 AM

As an alternative to trees/shrubs, a bit of scultpure might be nice...though I shudder to think how we/the council would go about choosing it. Personally, I'd probably like to see one that moves in the wind or has flowing water or something like that, but I have a hunch that Steve Bullock, given half a chance, would choose an enormous effigy of himself.

Perryman

21-10-2007 04:20 PM

"Someone mentioned a mural on the side of WHSmith in another thread.."

Perhaps like that lovely mural on the pedestrian underpass.
As I understand, London tonight took pictures of it for a programme on graffiti in Forest Hill, only to find out it was commissioned work!

I guess it has stopped additional graffiti in that section of the underpass - well you would not notice it anyway.

So a thumbs down on that idea from me.

How about replacing the 20 odd steps on this underpass with a nice ramp? It is not reasonable to ask people with prams to walk all the way round via the south circular underpass. This should have priority over a statue/mural.

Scorpion

21-10-2007 07:34 PM

Ooperlooper wrote:
We are keen to get as many good ideas as possible and would welcome your input ? please email us at foresthill@lewishamlibdems.org.uk with your ideas, or come along to the town meeting on the 24th September. (sic)

Uum - can I firstly (?) ask (before I make suggestions) why you got an e-mail about this AFTER the meeting date? Not good IMHO

Thanks

Sue

Scorpion

21-10-2007 08:25 PM

I wanted to add...............

As the meeting has long since past, many days, maybe some of the funds have already been earmarked for use? Hope not though, as surely, they will have to have another meeting to finalise what the money will be spent on?

Ooperlooper

21-10-2007 10:27 PM

I agree a ramp for the underpass would be a good, err...step forward.

I got the email just a couple of days ago and it looks like they copied and pasted that bit of the message from the newsletter the previous month then forgot to update it. Presumably spending the ?10k was discussed, but it's still up for discussion (either by email or at the next meeting (though I'm not sure when that is). Sorry for the confusion.

Toffeejim

21-10-2007 10:37 PM

My three ideas (two of these have been made in previous threads but I can't find them, let alone work out how to link them):

1. Allocate permanent billboard space to a local artist so that people waiting at the station in the morning feel a positive connection with their area rather than having advertising offending their bleary eyes.

2. Pay south London heroes Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine to come out of retirement and play a free gig at the Crystal Halls. A guaranteed feelgood factor for all and on the righteous side of the tracks to boot.

3. Re-route the South Circular road and reopen the old route as a series of cascading water gardens running from the museum down to Sunderland Road. Admittedly this might cost slightly over 10,000 at start-up but just think of the tourism. It could also act as a symbol of unity to give peace to the warring factions 'twixt the hill and the vale.

Scorpion

23-10-2007 03:06 PM

Thanks for the clarification Ooperlooper :-) and also, congrats for helping to get this funding approved (as i think you may have had part in this, re: the link to older forum thread and suggestions) Well done!

I think its great that monies have been allocated to improve Forest Hill. As for the ?40,000 to be spent on the "triangle" - that is a LOT of money. Personally I think the amounts should be reversed - ie ?10,000 for the Playpark and ?40,000 for general FH " small revamp" but............
I agree with suggestions put forward by some for the ?10,000 and am still thinking of the best uses for it, im my opinion (it won't go that far, obviously)

Regarding the Horniman Triangle Play park, I would hope that the paddling pool could be put back in action, in the Summer. I used to be a regular there many years ago, with my children, when (almost) all parks paddling pools in existence, were always open in hot weather, but that is now, sadly, a thing of the past. When I have asked as to why the paddling pool was not open, in the past few years (with water in it, in extremely hot weather) I have been told that there are not enough people to man it (fill it up etc)
The little building next to the play area (used to be the old toilet block, if memory serves me correctly) definitely either needs knocking down, or, if possible, doing up and to be used again (a toilet, again, would be great)
The little (cafe) building (opposite, at other entrance) well, I would love to see that back too, in the Summer at least.
Obviously, some new play equipment would be great, also and MOST IMPORTANTLY!:- more entrances to this space (from the top end, as not everyone lives near the London Road end) definitely, as, currently, there are none, which is probably why that part is not used much - its a shame, lovely grass area and it's just sitting there, waiting to be put to SOME good use)

As for the rest of this open space, I REALLY would love to see an enclosed Dog Area further up, in the grassy area. That area is not really used. Its on a hill and not the best for this purpose BUT, at least it would be used then? (with dog-waste bins present please - I always clean up after my dog) and some lighting)
Enclosed dog areas hardly exist anymore, which to me is a shame, especially as a lot of people often complain of dogs off the lead, running about amongst their children, bike riders, runners, walkers etc.
I, as a dog owner (and parent) would really like to be able to exercise my dog in a seperate area, away from children and everyone else, so he gets his exercise and playtime, without worries about non dog-friendly people being worried/complaining, and also (which some other dog owners will have also had to consider before - ie with puppies and non-well trained (as yet) dogs - to stop them running off, amongst the other users of said space/park. (Dogs are not trained from the minute you get them, like children LOL) Years ago this was the norm - why is it that most parks/open spaces seem to have done-away with these? Surely it would be better if they were available?
No dogs are allowed in that whole area, understandably, as its termed as a childs play park, but as more than 3/4's of it are not used, couldn't the space that is not a play area be used, for a good purpose?
Seperate entrances for dogs (half way up and up the top end) would be good.
Horniman's park closes early in Winter, and many local dog-owners do not have anywhere to take their dogs for a run about, that is safe etc. in the dark.

To the "other end of the spectrum" - if no enclosed dog-area would be entertained, then - a "bigger kids" play park - ie Adventure Playground" (oh I used to love them! lol) Big Kids climbing frame etc.

Well, thats just some of my thoughts on this, for now.

Sue

Scorpion

23-10-2007 03:13 PM

I would just like to add, that, I know that most of my "wish list" in my previous post, will not be realised, as the ?40k is NL funding, but, I still HOPE that maybe something like this could happen (as well as much more)

Ooperlooper

24-10-2007 06:51 AM

I wish I could take more credit, but all I did was post that message, actually.

I wouldn't be keen on re-opening the toilets as they tend to attract drug users, homeless people, etc and there are toilets not far away in the Horniman Museum.

I didn't know that there used to be a paddling pool there. That explains the concrete circle, I suppose. I guess the problem with a paddling pool is more the risk a child drowning in it (and from the council's perspective, them being sued).

I'm more of a dog hater than a dog lover, but if it helps to keep the dog free zones (inc. the Horniman Gardens) clear of dogs and dog poop, then I might be in favour of a fenced off dog zone.

Happysnapper

24-10-2007 07:45 AM

Yes, an enclosed dog space would be good actually. I have a dog and still training her to come back so I don't want to let her off the lead in a non-enclosed space, just in case (she likes to run towards moving cars, being half collie!).

In this litiginous day and age, not surprised the Council might be wary of re-opening the paddling pool, but it would be a good family area if it was, plus the cafe would definitely attract other people there, but it has to be advertised that it's open.

PS I pick up after my dog too!

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
alexfeakes

24-10-2007 02:56 PM

Ooperlooper wrote:
I got the email just a couple of days ago and it looks like they copied and pasted that bit of the message from the newsletter the previous month then forgot to update it. Presumably spending the ?10k was discussed, but it's still up for discussion (either by email or at the next meeting (though I'm not sure when that is). Sorry for the confusion.

I can confirm (with many apologies) that this is what happened.

alexfeakes

24-10-2007 02:59 PM

alexfeakes wrote:

Ooperlooper wrote:

I can confirm (with many apologies) that this is what happened.

Many thanks to everyone who has posted ideas on this thread, emailed us, written to us and come along to the town meeting. It's been great having so many ideas and I wish that we could find some funding for all of them!

I'll post again when we've whittled down the list.

nevermodern

24-10-2007 08:10 PM

I'd just like to add that I think it's important that in whichever way this money is spent, what's important is that it's spent on something that the widest possible number of people can enjoy.

Scorpion

26-10-2007 10:12 PM

Here here!
Fingers crossed, hope whatever the money is spent on, that it really does improve and make better, Forest Hill, in general, for all.

Sue

nevermodern wrote:
I'd just like to add that I think it's important that in whichever way this money is spent, what's important is that it's spent on something that the widest possible number of people can enjoy.

Sherwood

27-10-2007 08:26 PM

Could we have Oyster readers in Forest Hill railway station, please?

nevermodern

27-10-2007 09:03 PM

We're getting them in 2010 - the countdown begins Wink

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields