SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
No trains: Sat 16 & Sun 17 March 2013
blushingsnail

14-03-2013 03:03 PM

Engineering works between New Cross Gate and Norwood Junction this weekend, so no trains at all (neither Southern nor Overground). Bus replacement service calling all stations between London Bridge and West Croydon instead.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nottinghillbilly

14-03-2013 07:07 PM

Its a nightmare for those of us who work weekends and have to get to and from the west end Sad

michael

14-03-2013 08:09 PM

Bus to Catford?
Better than the bus replacement service.

Queenofdarts

15-03-2013 12:40 PM

There are no trains from Catford either on Sunday (but they're meant to be running from Catford Bridge).

Sherwood

18-03-2013 07:58 AM

I saw an overground train at new Cross gate station on Sunday.

Cellar Door

18-03-2013 09:48 AM

Thank you very much blushingsnail for your OP.

You really saved me on Saturday. I saw your posting last week and realised that it involved me. I had to get to London’s Glittering West End for mid-Saturday morning.

If I had not seen your post then, being generally disorganised, I’d have not (I repeat NOT) done any of the following:

1. Checked the TFL Journey Planner website.
2. Left home well before I needed to be uptown just in case something like engineering works would throw a spanner in my works.

Because of your post, I left home comfortably before 9am. And got to my destination with a little bit of time to spare.

Oh, I had to pop to Forest Hill Station to renew my travel card and saw people stamping their feet and shaking their fists at the sky on realising the engineering works were in action.

I could feel their frustration but I also smiled to myself of having the good sense to read SE23.com.

I avoided the bus replacement service, as Michael wisely scribed, as I have found that tends to do the grand tour of South East England. The 185, at about 9am on Saturday, had me conveniently at Vauxhall within 30 minutes. Then a quick trip on the Victoria Line and I was standing outside of Oxford Circus well before my 10am appointment. Still smiling to myself and singing your praises, blushingsnail, with every step that I took.

Without your post, I’d have been still standing in the forecourt of Forest Hill Station petulantly stamping my feet and shaking my fist.

Thank you again.

lacb

18-03-2013 10:55 AM

Similarly to Cellar Door, am also thankful to OP. Also, thanks to the persistent deluge yesterday, knew that bus stops or walking would be bad karma with a 5 year old and made the revelatory discovery that it takes less than half an hour to drive to the Excel centre. Ok, £10 for parking but that is much cheaper than travel cards for the family.

To boot, got to see the stupendous, and free, Big Bang fair. So, rainy weekends with no trains is not all bad news - will be going again in 2 years time for sure.

rshdunlop

18-03-2013 02:59 PM

Anyone who plans to travel by train at the weekend without first checking for engineering work is a fool to themselves.

There were a fair few fools hanging around the station looking bemused this weekend.

shzl400

18-03-2013 08:17 PM

And me too, what Cellar Door and lacb said. Went to the Southbank on Sunday morning courtesy of the 176 and got to look at interesting things out of the window from the top deck on the way.

And, if I'm not mistaken, probably also cheaper than the train (touch and go, as a short stint of P4 was also involved).

MightyMouse

18-03-2013 10:11 PM

As someone who backs onto the railway, it was lovely and quiet... I like to think I don't notice the trains much, but I very much did notice their absence!

And at least some of the work was happening just to the left of my flat, so I also got to see some interesting happenings. I imagine if you were a bit closer to it though it might have been tedious - I think they worked through the nights...

My journey to Greenwich on Sunday afternoon was longer than it might have been (two buses instead of train+bus) but it wasn't exactly a nightmare journey. Just relieved that everything was sorted ready for this morning's commute :-)

Sherwood

25-03-2013 07:40 AM

There were no trains at Charing Cross last night (Sunday)!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields