SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Warning of a telephone scam
SonicAttack

25-03-2013 08:43 PM

Below is a copy of a post I made on face book earlier today, this actually happened to me:-

I've just had a rather interesting telephone conversation. The call was from someone calling themselves "Martin" and was calling on behalf of the "Technical Department of Windows". Anyone smell a scam here?

Anyway, being the kind person I am I thought I'd waste his time. According to him they had discovered that my computer had be compromised and was being used as a botnet. Playing at being gullible and stupid I asked him what a botnet was?

After he explained what one was I fed him the line "How do I fix it?". To fix would cost me £200 and he needed My email address, password, name and address. So I gave him a load fake info. Then he asked what my occupation was. My reply?

"I'm an IT Security Consultant"

Funnily enough at this point he put the down. I wonder why?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

26-03-2013 08:15 AM

This scam has been going around for at least five years. I get it regularly - and I don't have a Windows machine!

Londondrz

26-03-2013 11:11 AM

I love this scam, had a couple of people call me with this. I string them along for 10 minutes playing dumb and saying that whatever they ask me to work.

I then throw in the kicker and say I use a Mac, does that make a difference?

All good fun.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields