SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (6): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] Last »
Oyster Cards and FH Station
rbmartin

26-03-2010 05:31 PM

I had a phone conversation with LOROL this afternoon regarding why the ticket machines refuse to sell discounted Bus + Tram Passes for customers on a low income/New Deal travelcards at the ticket machines despite being under TfL control.

According to the lady from LOROL, they have currently no plans to sell such tickets from the machines, nor from the new machines at the ticket office once it's installed as although they're regulated by TfL, they're not obliged to offer such products "as a private company."

Just to clarify, they sell full price bus passes, but refuse to sell the discounted ones, but will review the situation.

So much for being the same as a Tube or DLR station! Thumbdown

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rbmartin

29-03-2010 02:35 PM

This afternoon, the Platform 2 barriers were open due to a power cut, as I used PAYG, the guard told me to go to Platform 1. Tried to explain to the P1 guard that I couldn't touch out, but thanks to the lovely Asian guy at the ticket office who's worked at FH for years, he managed to persuade him to touch out my oyster card, saving me a £6 charge in the process.

andrewr

29-03-2010 03:49 PM

Does this mean that if the barriers are open due to a power cut, the Oyster validators don't work either? If so, what device was used for rbmartin to touch out - I didn't think they could do anything with Oyster in the ticket office at the moment...

rbmartin

29-03-2010 03:59 PM

Andrewr, the operator of the barriers at Platform 1 took my Oyster card from me and touched the pad from the other side of the gate.

Platform 2 gates and destination board were offline when I left FH at 2.20pm. Platform 1 is fully operational.

NewForester

01-04-2010 11:36 AM

Are the gates directional (when it comes to Oyster), or does Oyster simply record alternate touches as in/out? In other words, couldn't you simply have touched out using any of the validators?

Londondrz

01-04-2010 11:39 AM

I had two instances last week when I was unable to use Oyster to touch in and out, once at FH in the evening and the next day at LB. I made a mental note to myself and called Oyster two days later. Money was refunded immediatly. Bit of a pain but at least the money was returned.

rbmartin

01-04-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:
Are the gates directional (when it comes to Oyster), or does Oyster simply record alternate touches as in/out? In other words, couldn't you simply have touched out using any of the validators?

The gates are directional. On Monday when I couldn't touch out at Platform 2, I was about to touch the pad going IN at platform 1. I was informed It'd be an unfinished journey if I did that, so the guard touched me out from the other side of the gate.

roz

01-04-2010 05:56 PM

Having not travelled by train for a long time I was told by the staff today to buy a paper travel card as there was no point in using my top up Oyster card to travel into London and back and to run around on the tube. Yet the leaflet suggests that I would never have been charged more than the £6.30 I paid for the travel card. Was the ticket guy correct and if so what is point of the Oyster card- I thought paper tickets were history anyway.

A few weeks ago I went to Greenwich via the P4 and the DLR. On the way back on the DLR I touched out using the available thingies at Lewisham DLR station. How exactly do these things know that I was checking out as opposed to checking in to go somewhere else - I can't see how these particular ones are directional as they seem open to all comers- do they record the fact that I got on at Greenwich and assume that I have completed my journey at Lewisham? Today I travelled back through the newly refurbished Lewisham overground station and could not see any opportunities to check out even if I had needed to.

Complicated all this! Wonder how tourists manage- and of course with all these people going to be pouring in for the Olympics I trust that explaining all of this in several hundred different languages is in hand...

rbmartin

01-04-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:
Having not travelled by train for a long time I was told by the staff today to buy a paper travel card as there was no point in using my top up Oyster card to travel into London and back and to run around on the tube. Yet the leaflet suggests that I would never have been charged more than the £6.30 I paid for the travel card. Was the ticket guy correct and if so what is point of the Oyster card- I thought paper tickets were history anyway.

The cap on Oyster is the same as the paper day travelcard since January.

Quote:
A few weeks ago I went to Greenwich via the P4 and the DLR. On the way back on the DLR I touched out using the available thingies at Lewisham DLR station. How exactly do these things know that I was checking out as opposed to checking in to go somewhere else - I can't see how these particular ones are directional as they seem open to all comers- do they record the fact that I got on at Greenwich and assume that I have completed my journey at Lewisham? Today I travelled back through the newly refurbished Lewisham overground station and could not see any opportunities to check out even if I had needed to.

The Lewisham DLR Oyster readers have "ENTRY AND EXIT" shown on the LCD display. It should be the same for the readers at Lewisham SouthEastern, although most people will use the gates in the main building.

Incidentally, has anyone used the DLR Oyster machines at Lewisham (when they work!) as they're really user friendly and allow you to add on as much or little as you like, even with a debit card.

FHSoc

14-12-2010 07:02 PM

We have just been informed by TfL that passengers can now purchase a Monthly ticket on Oyster directly from the ticket office or Ticket Vending Machines at the London Overground stations on the Sydenham line.

If a passenger requires an Annual season ticket on Oyster, they can request it from the station but it would have to be collected the following day (or later). TfL apologise if staff have been advising passengers to travel to another station as this is not the case. LOROL has confirmed that the staff have been re-briefed them so this should not happen again.

rbmartin

14-12-2010 07:04 PM

That's great news. Not ideal about annual tickets though, but a start at least.

The next stage should be to get LOROL to allow Oyster registration and to sell TfL discounted tickets such as the Bus and Tram Pass for benefit claimants.

FHSoc

14-12-2010 07:35 PM

Please let us know if you have any problems trying to buy these tickets.

michael

14-12-2010 08:02 PM

Does annual Oyster tickets include point to point season tickets - Forest Hill to London Bridge? Or is it just for annual travelcards?

NewForester

16-12-2010 12:37 AM

From TfL:

Quote:
Oyster is a plastic smartcard you can use instead of paper tickets. You can put Travelcards, Bus & Tram Passes and pay as you go credit on it, which you use up as you travel.

You can also add some discount entitlements to it such as National Railcards and discounts for those on low income or who are unemployed.

You can:

* Store credit to pay as you go
* Set up Auto-top up so you never run out of credit
* Add Travelcards if they're for longer than a day
* Add Bus & Tram Passes
* Add Bus & Tram and New Deal discounts
* Add National Railcards or Gold Card discounts
* Get student and child discounts with an Oyster photocard
* Protect your card from loss or theft.

No mention of point-to-point season tickets.

rbmartin

16-12-2010 12:39 AM

The National Rail TOC's including London Overground will launch an ITSO Smartcard system which will eventually replace paper tickets in 2012. This will include season tickets.[/align]

Pages (6): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  No Oyster Sales at FH station rbmartin 0 3,415 26-08-2011 05:44 PM
Last Post: rbmartin
  Oyster machine at Honor Oak station evanick1 8 8,613 30-11-2010 07:23 PM
Last Post: rbmartin