SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
Let's move to Forest Hill
Tomcat

06-04-2013 04:02 PM

A quick look at the Guardian Online's archive "Let's move to" feature shows this is often a problem. Most of the comments posted contain complaints about the journalist never visiting. On this occasion pretty clear he/she didnt.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MightyMouse

06-04-2013 04:08 PM

I don't think they do visit for the Let's Move To articles - I used to read the Guardian back when paying for "news"papers was a thing Blink and I always understood this small, throwaway article to be a crowd-sourced and internet-sourced thing. It's not meant to be an in-depth review, just a light-touch look at somewhere. I suspect it takes all of half an hour to pull together, and shouldn't be taken as particularly important, accurate or useful, really.

nottinghillbilly

06-04-2013 04:13 PM

I've posted my 'angry of forest hill' response on the site.!!!Laugh

alimc

07-04-2013 06:28 PM

agree. We are just about to move to FH and I can safely say that that article does not reflect the area we fell in love with. A bit disappointing really.

SeanThomas

07-04-2013 10:33 PM

It's not very flattering, is it?

Pretty sure they covered FH about 2 years back and it read almost identically.

P1971

08-04-2013 12:44 AM

alimc Don't let this article put you off. I have lived in the area for over 15 yrs and have opened a shop in the area a yr ago as I love FH so much AND just added to it this weekend. Hope you love it too!

P1971

08-04-2013 01:03 AM

I love living and trading in FH as it is so community based! Do you think I'm right or wrong?

P1971

08-04-2013 01:16 AM

Thanks for the mention nottinghillbilly. Much appreciated.

michael

08-04-2013 10:02 AM

Tom Dyckhoff, who authored the article, actually lives in South East London, well just about. A little bit of cyber-stalking suggests that he lives in Borough, SE1, close to Borough High Street, and the railway line between London Bridge and Waterloo. Or at least this was his home in 2002.

Borough is a gloomy corner of South London if ever there was one, in the shadow of the Shard, and hardly able to take two steps without finding another railway line crossing over the road. And the area is completely dominated by major road and railway lines, with a major hospital and market in close proximity. A noisier spot in London would be hard to find - possibly Mayfair.

But enough criticism of a sloppy piece of journalism from somebody who is capable of much better analysis. Clearly he isn't giving much time to these weekly articles that he has needed to write for the last few years. I guess it is difficult to find new things to say about places when you are down to the 200th 'place to move to'.

On a more positive note, I got to speak to lots of people at yesterday's food fair and was impressed with how many people in their 20s and 30s do appear to have recently moved to Forest Hill. Others were visiting and planning to move here soon.

lacb

09-04-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:
But at least they avoided mentioning Fairlawn, the other outstanding primary school, or the new swimming pool.

Correction: one of the other outstanding. Yet another being St William of York.

I think some are being a little harsh about the article. Have always seen this as a bit of a fun piece, e.g. "... you can commute to all those places you can't afford" is, I think, an attempt at humour while talking up the transport links. All the articles I have seen in this series, where I have known the area, have been sketchy at best on details - the theme continues.

It is generally positive and besides, always better to be looked over than overlooked (thanks Mae West). I think the guardianistas have arrived already BTW. Smile

seeformiles

09-04-2013 01:06 PM

This reply to the article made me laugh:

"I live in Penge, it's nearby and much better value. Partly thanks to its awful name. I'm so glad most people are shallow."

He/she's got a point. I would hardly call Forest Hill affordable anymore.

10-04-2013 11:47 AM

Agree with SeeforMiles - the property prices in Forest Hill seem well over-inflated at the momment. Whilst the area has improved over the past 3 years - it doesnt justify price rises of 20% from just last summer! The economy is still fragile so dont understand why the property market has recently gone crazy again. Feels like we're heading towards another boom and bust!

There is probably better value in South East London at the momment.

seeformiles

10-04-2013 12:08 PM

Yes and it makes it near impossible to trade up to something bigger or for first timers on average incomes to move into an area.

daveherne

10-04-2013 07:07 PM

i think word is out about forest hill / hop. people hear about the overground,good schools, still relatively decent house prices, parks, safe neighbourhoods etc..

also a lot of people are migrating from ED, HH etc. as and when the need more space.

i think that can easily explain the price change....

P1971

10-04-2013 09:54 PM

Anyone that quotes this thread to me has a free ice cream on me! Off to bed have a great night all x

TonyB

11-04-2013 01:45 PM

The article certainly doesn't reflect our research of the area either. We are moving to FH tomorrow so too late for second thoughts anyway! This forum has been very useful for finding places to investigate so thanks.

P1971

11-04-2013 08:57 PM

Talking about Penge.. my VW Old Skool Camper Van got stolen from outside my house on Rockbourne Rd last week during my refit. A customer told me today they saw one similar in Penge! It was mine! Just had it towed back, not drivable, but at least I got it back. My camping gear is still there, but what a mess, everything is everywhere. Job to do on Monday my day off.

ForTiger

13-04-2013 08:34 AM

Just wanted to say that we've lived in this area for many years and it's a real pleasure. It's friendly, pleasant and most importantly has many amenities and one often neglected one is the adult education centre just opposite Dalmain School. A really friendly and nice place with an interesting range of quality courses. People can study all sorts of things from Pottery, Cake Decorating, IT and Photography to basic skills in English and Maths. There are even English courses for those whose first language is not English and who want to improve skills or get a qualification whilst working as an au pair for example. Many of the courses are short so you can start a course in English Skills for Life level 2 (GCSE) now and get a qualification in 11 weeks. They also do courses aimed at families; it's been lovely to see mums and dads with their kids of an evening at Brockley Rise.

Satchers

13-04-2013 11:34 PM

What I think is interesting about this article is how the town centre looks to others who don't know the place.

Lets work on the basis that the journalist who wrote it lives in say, Blackheath, and spends quite a lot of time driving through Forest Hill on the south circular. He can do the research for his article whilst stuck in traffic.

And if this is what you'd seen. It does look a bit of a mess. Those of us that live here know its got great people/shops/parks/schools/pubs and other stuff but those things aren't obvious to the casual observer.

The town centre visually is all over the place, it's pretty visually incoherent, there are buildings and shopfronts that need a lot of TLC (it's not Blackheath is it). It's something that it would be good to improve further, so after much thought I'm taking this article as some useful constructive criticism that at least doesn't play up to the hype.

One way of trying to improve things would be to work towards an updated planning guidance document that sets out a vision for the town centre, and how this might be achieved. This is something that the Forest Hill Society have been starting to talk about, along with a range of other local people and groups. Maybe 2013 should be the year for it?

RebeccaHowards1

02-05-2013 12:47 PM

I am shocked about that article. I don`t know what to say... I`ve heard a lot of great thing about that place...

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Move to Forest Hill FH2016 6 9,428 26-01-2016 05:34 PM
Last Post: jdj
  Planning to move to Forest Hill (or ED) alimc 21 28,565 05-04-2013 11:04 AM
Last Post: foresthillfan
  Planning to move to Forest Hill Hayward223 5 8,744 24-09-2012 01:29 PM
Last Post: HCT77
  Move to Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park? ourkid025 14 29,212 14-11-2011 03:57 PM
Last Post: rmurraywest