SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
FH to Dulwich Park route?
HoneyDripper

01-05-2013 05:01 PM

Hi - I'm new to the area and would love to find a cycle (preferably) or a pedestrian route from around Sainsbury's on London Road to Dulwich Park that avoids the South Circular. (And preferably not too hilly!)

I've tried to find suitable routes on maps, but without success - can anyone help? Thanks!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Applespider

01-05-2013 06:45 PM

I think it's impossible to avoid hills given that Horniman hill is between them! You'd have to go a very long way around to avoid it.

That stretch of London Road (from Sainsburys to the Grove) isn't too bad to cycle (despite it being a hill) since there is a lovely big bus lane on the actual hill so you don't end up squeezed by traffic. And while it will be tough for the first week or so, the best way of getting better at going uphill on a bike, is to go uphill on a bike! Just use your gears - and challenge yourself to keep going a little further each time.

The pavement along Dulwich Common is shared use so you can then hop onto the pavement (legally and considerately) along to the Park. Or you could go straight on at the lights and turn down Court Lane and get to the park that way.

The only other option I can think of is going onto Honor Oak Road (which is narrower than South Circ so feels worse to cycle along) and trying to get over to Wood Vale so you can go down Melford Road and up to Court Lane that way. But there's a steeper hill involved there - and it seems a roundabout way for a short cut.

AMFM

02-05-2013 11:41 AM

As Applespider says, I think avoiding hills in this part of London is a pipe dream!

The only "off road" way I know of to get to Dulwich Park involved going through the woods (which you can get to off London Road just after the junction with Sydenham Hill - it's signposted for the green chain walk) but I don't think you're allowed to ride your bike in there (and it would need to be a mountain bike anyway) - it's a lovely walk though (albeit a much longer way to get to DP than walking the roads)...

HoneyDripper

02-05-2013 06:55 PM

Thanks very much for the helpful advice. It wasn't really the hills I was trying to avoid so much as the traffic and I just wondered if there was some sneaky/more direct route to the southern entrance to the park. I didn't know the pavement was shared use - that's great news!

(By the way - where does this path across the street from Sainsbury's go to? See attached photo.)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

aswaspooluser

02-05-2013 07:07 PM

It comes out on Derby Hill with an "extra bit" that leads on to Derby Hill Crescent.

HoneyDripper

02-05-2013 07:41 PM

Thanks! Thumbup

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields