SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (16): « First < Previous 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 Next > Last »
Shops, pubs, restaurants, etc
michael

28-05-2013 10:05 AM

June Food Fair coming up this Sunday, 2nd June from 11am.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
michael

03-06-2013 07:17 AM

Great turn out for the food fair yesterday and lovely to meet a few posters/readers on this site.

If you missed it, you missed Richard stepping in to be a greengrocer, and we almost had a bread riot* in Forest Hill when the baker turned up a bit later, even though the bread had been delivered.

* riot = mild tutting and cheerful shouts of "I'll come back in 20 minutes". We had the water cannons on standby Smile

michael

01-07-2013 11:59 AM

This Sunday is another lovely Forest Hill Food Fair, with great food to eat there or take home to enjoy. The fair runs from 11am-3pm.

Wimbledon men's final starts at 2pm, so come early and then watch the first British winner of Wimbledon at a local pub!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

This post was last modified: 01-07-2013 12:03 PM by michael.

Chipcity

02-07-2013 09:28 PM

Does anyone know what the new shop currently being fitted out behind FH station is, although I had seen a alcohol licence notice so perhaps a convenience store?

michael

03-07-2013 01:35 PM

This Sunday, as well as the Food Fair, is the final day of Forest Hill's Fiver Fest which begins tomorrow, on the cleverly named "Independents' Day"

michael

09-07-2013 07:22 PM

I just spotted the local butcher on Raymond Blanc, chopping up a cow. After years with no butcher, is it possible that Forest Hill has the best butcher in London?

michael

10-07-2013 08:48 PM

Good write up on the are in today's Evening Standard:
http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/area_g...watch.html
My favourite bit of a very positive article:

Quote:
Fundraiser Sarah Cook has seen great changes in the 10 years she has lived in SE23. “I couldn’t afford to buy in Camberwell. But I got so much more space for my money. Forest Hill is a great place. The new shops are very cool, and it’s a much more bohemian, mixed community than East Dulwich.”

Innovations include a monthly food fair outside Forest Hill station to allow traders to test the local market before committing to a local lease. Aga’s Little Deli has taken a shop in Dartmouth Road, while the owners of The Butchery in London Road, Nathan Mills and Ruth Siwinska, feature in Raymond Blanc’s new TV series on slow cooking.

Dartmouth Road is becoming an increasingly arty hang out. Funky haberdashery Stag and Bow is run by textile artist Pascale Spall (sister of actor Rafe Spall) and her husband, furniture designer, Cyrus. They sells crafts, furniture and jewellery.

MightyMouse

10-07-2013 08:53 PM

I'm sure it's all very lovely for those who own property here - and of course it's all true, it's a marvellous place to live.

But as someone who has got at least another couple of years of hard saving to go in order to save up the sort of deposit needed these days - well, I've pretty much given up already on the idea of actually being able to afford to buy anything here once the time comes.

Shame. I'll enjoy it in the meantime, I guess.

Anotherjohn

10-07-2013 09:21 PM

Don't despair MightyMouse because you will only need a 5% deposit from January 2014 under the Help to Buy scheme that was announced in the 2013 Budget. For all buyers (not just first-timers) of pre-owned (ie not newbuild) properties up to £600,000 the government will be guaranteeing 15% of the purchase price, which means that the lender will only be at risk for 80%. I hope it works out for you.

P1971

11-07-2013 08:39 PM

Nathan from The Butchery was on Raymond Blanc's How To Cook on BBC earlier this week. He came across really well and done FH proud. If you want to watch him in action on catch up he's about 10 mins 30 seconds in to the programme.

nottinghillbilly

15-07-2013 06:00 PM

I just really wanted to praise one of our new local businesses The Montage On Dartmouth Road (opposite the Sylvan Post).
I stress i have no personal connection with this place but just want to spread the word cos its lovely!
I've been in there several times since they opened for coffee, attracted by the eclectic interior, fab music and ambience.
But today for the first time I went out the back and sat in their garden Which is the coolest quirkiest little oasis, reached by equally lovely semi-outdoor 'rooms'. It was just delightful.
And so thats it folks, I'm a real believer in supporting our small local businesses, and giving credit where its due.
After all....use them or Lose them!

Belle

16-07-2013 08:58 AM

Yes I concur, The Montage is a brilliant new addition to the high street. Quirky cool interior and fab cakes!

Belle

16-07-2013 01:38 PM

Oh and you can vote for The Montage here if you like it!

http://www.thevintageguidetolondon.com/l...nal-votes/

Samurai

16-07-2013 02:05 PM

Does anyone know of any Greek deli's in the area?

I don't mind travelling a little to find a decent one but I'm coming up blank with either ones closed down or too far to travel.

I'm craving some authentic Greek food, and not the store bought shizzle that tastes nothing like what it's supposed to.

Thanks Thumbup

lacb

16-07-2013 09:01 PM

No. You would probably have to go to Bayswater for the nearest one.

Sadly, the food of Greece seems to stay in Greece. Having said, you can recreate some classic Greek dishes without needing a deli at all. This the route I go down - avoids disappointment that way.

Samurai

17-07-2013 08:02 AM

Bayswater... well a little out of the way but if there's one or two up there, I'd be willing to make the effort. Do you happen to know what it's called?

Recreating dishes is all well and good, and I'd have no problem doing this - except it's a little hard to recreate dishes where the only real main ingrediant is kefalotyri cheese Rofl

Does anyone know a place in Lewisham, or even Croydon? The Overground could get me to most places pretty quickly.

lacb

17-07-2013 11:34 AM

I think it may be called the Athenian but it is some while since I stomped round there.

Ah yes, Greek cheese (tyri). I have fond memories of dishes that were just fried cheese. There is a lot of crossover with Ottoman influences, though many Greeks would rather not (understandably) admit this, so you may be able to find a close substitute from a Turkish/Turkish Cypriot shop. I would try the Forest Hill Road supermarket, a shop that frequently surprises me with its range of stock - failing that the TFC in Lewisham.

Good luck - will be interested to know how you get on.

nottinghillbilly

17-07-2013 03:39 PM

Firstly Thanks Belle for link to the vintage guide to london, Ive voted.
Secondly re: Greek food-we got some AWESOME Lamb Kofte's from the Butchery last weekend. Get some good olives from AGA's deli, make a greek salad, get some decent Hummous and make your own Taziki (super easy) get some Pitta bread and viola, you have a greek mealThumbup

lacb

17-07-2013 07:56 PM

All sounds very tasty, thanks Belle, but only the salads (Greek and tzatziki) are actually Greek. Sorry to sound pedantic but I think that Samurai is after the real deal...

Samurai

18-07-2013 12:33 PM

Yeah I worked in Crete for 2 years and I'm craving certain dishes. Will try that supermarket you mentioned, and failing that further afield.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Who pays to save pubs and shops? Tim Lund 15 12,354 27-09-2013 04:15 PM
Last Post: lacb