SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (16): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »
Shops, pubs, restaurants, etc
Jane2

07-03-2013 05:49 PM

I was in the Sylvan Post the other night and was very impressed. Friendly bar staff, nice food, and a good mix of people.

It's a shame about the Honor Oak pub though, have been there a couple of times recently and not had good experiences. I remember when it was first renovated and was one of the first gastro-pubs in the area - it was very exciting. I am not quite sure what is happening with it now.

Also can vote for the Blythe Hill tavern if you want a drink, a packet of crisps and a warm friendly atmosphere!

I too remember Baggydave - I have obviously been on this forum longer than I realised!

Find all posts by this user
derbybill

08-03-2013 11:50 AM

Thanks for starting the local pub guide: just what we need now the weather is warming up - NOT!
Have a look at this posting in the Trading Post Section started originally about the Honor Oak pub in Brockley Rise.
The Honor Oak pub. How is it doing?
THO is still looking pretty deserted and no info from the owners/managers. Obviously they don't look at SE23.com

Jane2

08-03-2013 12:30 PM

Ah I had missed that thread about The Honor Oak thanks for pointing that out
http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=7584

I have been in the Honor Oak a couple of times recently and shan't be returning until things improve. It was cold, no atmosphere (even on a Friday night), dodgy clientele, food was either not available or of average quality, no clean wine glasses, no wine list, grumpy bar staff... I could go on. Looking at their Facebook page they seem to be aiming at a young, clubby type crowd but if so they are in the wrong location! Do they think young people on a night out are going to shlep down there when they can hop on a train somewhere more exciting?
It is always a shame when a good pub goes downhill.

Fortunately there are other great pubs in the area, as others have mentioned.
Catford Bridge Tavern is also good, although not sure if I should mention it on here as it is outside of SE23! What was amazing was seeing all the locals fight for it when it was threatened to be turned into a supermarket. Just shows that a good local pub really does bring a community together.

samsara

08-03-2013 02:20 PM

Hello,
I'm also looking for someone to do some small scale painting/plastering. Any recommendations would be gratefully received. Thanks!

stefan

08-03-2013 04:55 PM

great to have so many good shops in forest hill now, had great meat from the new butchers, I follow them on twitter to get the latest offers, are there other local shops on twitter?

rshdunlop

08-03-2013 05:56 PM

I use Twitter a lot to communicate with our local traders. I just ordered short ribs for the weekend from The Butchery! Also on Twitter are Sugar Mountain, Doopoo Doopoo (if that's how you spell it!), St David Coffee Shop, Canvas and Cream, and Sylvan Post.

Any more others know about?

alisa

08-03-2013 06:33 PM

Re twitter - Shannons and Best of Both Boutique spring to mind as being on twitter.

And for HOP: Hills & Parkes, Jumping Bean, Le Querce, Babur, Hopscotch, Tapatisserie on my twitter lists.

http://www.se23.blogspot.com/
derbybill

09-03-2013 02:36 PM

Thanks Jane 2 for putting in the link -I wasn't sure how to do that!
Yes Catford Bridge Tavern (not in SE23!) seems to be doing well and sunday roasts are basic but good quality and value. A real family-friendly pub with high chairs and all.
Is there anyone going to put in a good word for The Honor Oak pub?

squashst

09-03-2013 04:18 PM

Personally, I'm puzzled as to what the Honor Oak is trying to do. Previously it was a good pub though IMHO quite expensive for food and drink, but it did have a lot of things on for the community. It certainly seemed to be popular. Perhaps a bit noisy with bare floorboards etc.

Now its been painted externally aka a East Germany 1980's pillbox, is trying to set itself up for music when the shape of the pub is all wrong (e.g. where's the stage) and the range of food and drink is limited. It just does not look welcoming.

My theory is that the Honor Oak has decided to compete with the Chandos! Although the latter has the TVs for the footie crowd.

Lets hope Honor Oak finds its feet and then the good reviews will come.

SeanThomas

09-03-2013 04:32 PM

Like Dartmouth Arms a lot too. Their sister pub The Dolphin in Sydenham is very good too and has a gorgeous sun trap of a garden which I intend to fully utilise more this year (at this rate in August).

Sylvan Post and Catford Tavern are both owned by Antic Ltd which are gradually transforming loads of SE London pubs it seems. Think they have another on the way in Sydenham.

The Prince of Wales on Perry Vale reopened this week after a 3 week refurb. Seems to do food now and made the place a lot brighter and more open.

squashst

09-03-2013 04:36 PM

Hi
No-one ever mentions Stone Bar in Honor Oak Parade (including the posts where we bemoan lack of shops / bars in HoP). Its been there a number of years but seems to fly under the radar. Not sure whether that is good or bad? Views?

SeanThomas

09-03-2013 04:36 PM

As for HO pub I've been in twice before. Never been horrible or anything just not really one thing or another. If I wanted cheap food or drink and sport there and better more atmospheric options, likewise if it wants to be posh then it has a way to go and stiff competition.

I'd never avoid it, but I'd never make it a destination of choice either.

edd

09-03-2013 05:49 PM

Glad to see the butchers is back - got some good chicken carcasses (will make excellent stock for soup with some bits and bobs), sausages and black pudding (breakfast for the family sorted) , and even chicken hearts for stew.

Yum!

steveb

09-03-2013 06:42 PM

Went to the Honor Oak last night for the first time in a couple of months. Place has been redecorated, probably an improvement. Has a disco on Saturdays whose sound system is light on bass and heavy on treble, which we found unpleasant, but I'm probably just showing my age. Also no real ale on. May return to the garden when the weather gets bettter.

For some time I've thought the Foresters / All In One is the best pub in the area: good beer, pleasant atmosphere. Sylvan Post a close second.

mgmonkey

09-03-2013 08:00 PM

In SE23

Sylvan Post - Favourite range of beers, good food and staff, an easier quiz than that of The Hob or All Inn One.

All Inn One - Best Sunday Roast in SE23. Good staff. Best place to go in the town centre to sit outside for a drink. Play Your Cards Right after the quiz is fun, although some of the quiz sports and soap opera questions always stump me. Not much of a fan of their ales. I wish they could get some pale ale/craft beers in.

Dartmouth Arms - Somewhere I might go for a bite to eat if The Sylvan is too busy. Standard drinks available at the bar, which to me is starting to seem a bit limited whilst there seems to be a real ale revolution going on. Can feel quite conservative at times.

The Hob - The only time I have been back since The Sylvan has opened is for comedy. It can seem very cold in the winter. The ales don't change much and seem pretty standard. No food. Ridiculous music policy that seems to depend on changing a CD or letting it repeat over and over again. Sometime reliance on blasting music out of the telly showing a music channel. Quiz is good fun. Some of the "dad rock" cover bands they roll out make me want to head for the hills. The late licence is sometimes welcome though.

The Capitol - Cheap. Different ales always on. Not really the sort of building that offers itself to being a enjoyable pub experience for me. Everything else is standard Wetherspoons.

Question Bar - Went once about 8 years ago. I prefer a pub to a bar. I seem to recall an odd layout and very low ceilings.

Bird In The Hand - I've never been in there. Although from the comfort of The Sylvan I have watched a pair of local shoplifters selling their stolen Sainsburys joints of meat to punters on the bench outside.

Prince Of Wales - Went to find this with a friend once to check it out. Seemed to be hanging on for some kind of investment, which I see is now happening. Will definitely pay another visit after the refurb and if they are showing footy and serving real ales and food.

The HOP - It has never really seemed to know what it wants to be. It could work really well I think if it built a reputation for good food and interesting beer. It can seem a little too "open plan" if that makes sense.

The Chandos - I understand this is under new manangement in the last year or two. I have yet to return, so can't really comment. I do recall often walking past a few years back whilst people were smoking hand made cigarettes of the exotic variety.

The General Napier - Stuck in a bit of a time warp. I can't see it lasting long if it doesn't change it's ways a bit. The staff were very friendly though. Roast potatoes at the bar were a nice touch when I went there for the footy once

The Blythe Hill Tavern - A diamond of a pub. It still maintains traditional qualities some people may think has disappeared. Good beer, including guest ales. The most welcoming landlord in the world. A good place to watch sport. A good place to meet the locals. A big garden for drinks in the summer. A roaring fire in the winter. Good prices for beers. A shame there is no food, but I guess this makes it feel even more authentic in its old school approach.

For my shame though, the local pub I mostly frequent these days isn't in SE23 at all but SE6. The Catford Bridge Tavern. I love everything about it, the huge range of beer,the good food, the staff, the clientele, the music, although All Inn One still do a better Sunday roast.

SeanThomas

09-03-2013 11:22 PM

Great summary!

I'd agree with all that. Been meaning to check out a quiz at one of the locals, will maybe start with the Sylvan Post...

Definitely pop into POW. The landlords a nice chap and trying hard to get it to be a success.

Any thoughts on the Sydenham pubs? There's a few I've yet to try.

derbybill

10-03-2013 01:28 PM

Thanks, mg monkey, for that comprehensive review!
So when do you get time to write so much if you're always in the pub?
Oh I know, you do it IN the pub.
So that's another thing we need to establish, which pubs have WiFi?

michael

11-03-2013 04:10 PM

You can follow SE23 businesses at https://twitter.com/FHSoc/se23-businesses either by following the list or seeing the suggested shops and businesses (currently up to 36). If you know of more local business to add to the list, tweet the society to let us know.

P1971

11-03-2013 10:02 PM

Don't get me started on the black pudding from The Butchery. It is amazing!

lacb

11-03-2013 11:56 PM

Now here is a subject I am a tad obsessive about: sausages. My black pudding research has not been so favourable to the Butchery. It is fine, don't get me wrong, but not as good as Clonakilty, which you can get at Budgens on Brockley Road.

Flock and Herd in Peckham Rye stock a very good pudding however.

Pages (16): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Who pays to save pubs and shops? Tim Lund 15 12,354 27-09-2013 04:15 PM
Last Post: lacb