SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (16): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »
Shops, pubs, restaurants, etc
dad_jokes

19-02-2013 04:50 PM

Why wouldn't they allow it Michael? Is that the sort of question that is not allowed here? Merely asking opinion. I'm new to this.

Find all posts by this user
michael

19-02-2013 07:06 PM

Sylvan Post
All Inn One / Foresters (sport)
Dartmouth Arms
The Hob (sport)
Blythe Hill Tavern (sport)

and Prince of Wales is under new management and currently being refurbished so it could be worth a visit.

lacb

19-02-2013 07:33 PM

It is a good while since I have been to the Prince of Wales but I recall excellent beer and some good live music there. Hope the new management don't do something similar to the Honor Oak (was distressed to read this thread as last visit to Honor Oak was last year for their steak night which was good).

I also like the Sylan Post (quirky and have interesting beer selection) and Dartmouth Arms (thankfully have re-pitched their food menu which used to be way too pricy).

The Hob is good for comedy and I think that is it - last time I spoke to the landlord it was his sole focus. Used to go to their open-mic nights until it was killed off. Every 3 weeks, what were they thinking?

Can't comment on the Blythe Hill Tavern - would like to go there some day.

Should mention the General Napier. Worth a visit if only to experience the worm hole into a genuine 70s pub, complete with decor, beer and bar snacks.

Iain

20-02-2013 10:15 PM

Really like the Blythe, well kept beer, great service and a choice of sports if that is your thing, irish music most Thursday nights.

Been in the Napier once, it's ok for a quick pint, but my thing is ale and they don't (or didn't) sell it, so I won't be going back in a hurry

Not been to the Honor Oak for a while, but I've been a few times over the years, twice since the new management, it was ok

Brockley Jack is ok, always looks like its got folk in, been in a couple of times

Been to the Sylvan Post once or twice, really interesting beer and good food

SeanThomas

26-02-2013 11:33 PM

I noticed that the refurb is nearly complete. Popped in a few weeks before it began and the new landlord was very friendly and desperate to make it a part of the local area. Will give it a go when it reopens.

Sign suggests it'll now do food, cask ales and show sport.

Morriorl

02-03-2013 03:42 PM

While there are clearly mixed views on the arrival of Sainsbury's to HOP, I find the graffiti utterly pointless and disgusting. I live here, this is my high street and regardless of my views I don't go around vandalising our local shops irrespective of private or corporate ownership. For the record I am looking forward to their arrival.

daveherne

02-03-2013 08:34 PM

Agreed re vandalism - and also what kind of idiot spends time doing that!

Let's hope though that the little shop selling bits and bobs of food get there act together whilst they have the chance and diversify into something interesting, anybody have ideas for them.

Could HOP stand a toy shop do you think? I would probably use it.

daveherne

02-03-2013 08:38 PM

Now that we have a supermarket coming hopefully some of the local stores are thinking about gaps they can fill and also how they can exploit the extra footfall.

I have started to wonder what else would be useful.

What about a toy shop, could that work? I would probably use it.

lacb

03-03-2013 01:47 PM

I don't know, maybe there is a market for a toy Shop there but I think you should know Jumping Bean already sells toys.

Agreed re the graffito. However, as a mitigating measure, I wonder whether the developer might welcome something more colourful - I'm sure there are local artists who could do some thing with the boards.

daveherne

03-03-2013 06:51 PM

I will check out the toys at Jumping Bean!

let_it_be

04-03-2013 12:36 PM

Are the owners of the whitewood shop contactable/still in business?

My wife and I had a few items made by this business originally when they were in Beckenham and then followed them to Honor Oak. Was suprised to see they had moved on and thought maybe someone here might have a clue if they are still in business.

Many Thanks.

Sparkles

04-03-2013 01:31 PM

Top of my wish list would definitely be a foodie pub with a friendly atmosphere and some squishy seating for Sunday lounging. Another restaurant offering something we don't already have such as Thai food, Japanese, or French would be great too.

But if we're strictly sticking to shops, I'd welcome something along the lines of ED in East Dulwich, offering a range of gifts, cards, fashion and furniture. Jumping Bean has a great selection of gifts but I'd like to see more clothes and jewellery.

Dr Boo is East Dulwich is another favourite of mine - offering a lovely selection of skincare and beauty products from some high-end brands.

I could see a small fitness/sports shop doing rather well in HOP too. We certainly seem to have a lot of runners and cyclists.

Other than that, I'm still sad about the fact Forest Hill snapped up The Butchery before we could. Pesky Sebastian Roche and your expansion plans!

scully

05-03-2013 01:29 PM

Hello

Looking for a childminder for our son who will be 12 months in September. Would like someone in Honor Oak Park just wondering if anyone can recommend someone or know of any vacancies?

Many thanks

Joanne

digime

06-03-2013 02:53 PM

I'm looking for recommendations for a painter and decorator to put up lining paper and paint a fairly large hallway.

The walls are stripped and prepared. The maximum drop is about 17 feet.

Thanks.

Silverfir

06-03-2013 05:50 PM

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has anything positive (or otherwise) to report about Pitta Patta nursery in Forest Hill? I have paid a holding deposit for a place for my child, but have been alarmed by some very negative views posted recently online. I have been to visit twice and thought the place seemed very nice, but am now questioning my own judgement ... please let me know your thoughts! Thanks.

SeanThomas

06-03-2013 11:44 PM

Got a few favourites myself but thought we could start a thread up as a guide to the area's watering holes.

I'll go first, post your own thoughts too on this one or others you like:

Blythe Hill Tavern

Always enjoy going to this pub whenever I walk past. Do a cracking pint of Guinness and always have a few good ales on (Harvey's and Hophead I think?). Pub itself has three little sections and you can walk through the bar itself to reach the back room which is pretty unique!

Shows sport and racing, very friendly staff too. Tend to be an older crowd in it seems but always had a good chat with someone (usually the slickly attired staff).

Don't serve food but I think that's to it's credit. Especially great pub in the winter thanks to the open fire.

Bcm

07-03-2013 08:38 AM

I love the Dartmouth arms. Superb food, great selection of wines and beers that are always in good condition. Yes it's expensive but justifiably so in my opinion. I am also increasingly impressed by the Sylvan Post. The decor may be left if the middle, but the ale selection and wines are again fantastic.

michael

07-03-2013 09:50 AM

In memory of Baggydave*:

One pub I haven't been so impressed with is the Moor Park Tavern. I recently went there and the service was awful. After waiting to be served for 20 minutes I left in disgust. They don't seem to have any interest in their customers and always seem to be occupied with other matters.

Their outdoor area has little seating but is probably the best part of the pub, annoyingly it looks like it has started to be used as a car park in recent years but don't be fooled, this is actually the children's play area.

So if you fancy a pint in an 80s themed boozer, pop into the Moor Park Tavern, preferably in the 1980s.

* does anybody else still remember his contributions or have I just been on this forum too long?, and in case anybody takes the 'in memory' the wrong way, I can confirm that Baggydave is alive and well and still living in Upper Dulwich Bottom. Sadly his online persona ceased to be many years ago.

stefan

07-03-2013 11:27 AM

my vote goest to All In One - friendly Pub and great outdoor space in the summerSmile followed by Sylvan Post for a Weissbier in the afternoon and the HOB for live music on a friday night, Wetherspoon for a cheap and cheerful breakfast! Not sure why I never set food into the Dartmouth Arms, have to check it out one day soon

Cellar Door

07-03-2013 02:07 PM

Michael wrote:
Baggydave…does anybody else still remember his contributions…

Absolutely.

Dearly missed by me, on here. When I log on each time I hope to see BD’s name in the recent posts. I also miss hilltopgeneral. And Brian hasn’t posted for many months now.

It is nearly two years since baggydave has posted on SE23.com.

I still follow baggydave on the Beer in the Evening website.

One of my favourite postings by baggydave, on that website, was about The Forest Hill Tavern:

“I've set them a challenge that they couldn't get any worse.

Well done, they have risen to it.”

Pages (16): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Who pays to save pubs and shops? Tim Lund 15 12,352 27-09-2013 04:15 PM
Last Post: lacb