SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (16): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Shops, pubs, restaurants, etc
nitoda

16-02-2013 12:02 PM

I can only hope the optimists amongst us are right - I can't see me buying much from them. It's not as if a Sainsbury's local will stock cheap basic ingredients - they tend to go for the "value added", i.e. ready-prepared, processed, manufactured instant solutions to the evening meal problem in my experience. I can see that appealing to the young professional market, but not so much the older ones amongst us who have the time, skill, experience and motivation to cook from scratch daily. I'd be sad to see us lose the Honor Oak Supermarket as it has always been a good standby for me when I run out of anything. I'll certainly try to use them instead of Sainsbury's for milk etc. if I run out. The Deli? Not so much. Though I currently buy bread there fairly regularly, it's terribly overpriced to my mind. If competition brings their prices down then maybe they will survive. Or perhaps they will be expanding their catering business - I have no idea how big a proportion of their income comes from that rather than the shop. So hard to tell when change = progress and when it doesn't! And I'm SO cynical about the big food retailers. Anyone bought any burgers recently? ;-)

Find all posts by this user
squashst

16-02-2013 12:21 PM

Interesting points. I am in the middle ground. Of course a Sainsbury local will not be a food paradise and it will have a smaller range than a full supermarket. And there will be ready made meals for those who want them. But a Sainsbury local, even with a relatively small range of meat / fruit / cheese etc will be useful, plus of course the drink etc. So I can see some of the local newsagents cum cheap booze purveyors having problems, ditto the perenially gloomy off licence.
I think the better small general stores will survive and indeed they seem to at Forest Hill or at Crofton Park despite the local sJS/Budgeons/Co-Op
For those who want really good fresh meat, they well go to the Butchery at Forest Hill went it reopens in near future (shame it wasn't at HOP).

The ATM at the Sainsbury local will be handy as well. Will it help attract a tenant to the old Bank site? We shall see.

Mind, I do rather miss the old Honor Oak Tandoori; I like the Babur very much, but it would be good to have an alternative reliable mid-price Indian restaurant.

Erekose

16-02-2013 01:24 PM

But just think it could have been a Tesco metro store and then how disappointed you could have been....

OakR

16-02-2013 01:39 PM

If in HOP and you want a good butcher, Peter James is really not far on Ewhurst Road.

I think Sainsburys will on the whole be good for the High Street - I guess we will all find up over the next year or so.

lacb

16-02-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:
If in HOP and you want a good butcher, Peter James is really not far on Ewhurst Road.

Agreed. Though some may miss his charcuterie counter, I much prefer that he also sells fresh fish now too.

Quote:
I think Sainsburys will on the whole be good for the High Street - I guess we will all find [out] over the next year or so.

Yes and as one who probably falls into the older, fresh food preparing, optimist category (minus the time bit, it need take no longer to prepare fresh food) am also not anticipating culinary fireworks but it will open up some new options. Am expecting that we will end up spending more money on the parade when this opens and less at the grim Forest Hill Sainsburys. The good independents should have little to fear IMO. Agreed re the off licence though.

derbybill

16-02-2013 05:54 PM

The pub had new management last December and a new exterior repair and paint job (the colour is called "industrial grime" I believe, apparently popular in East Dulwich for pub frontages!)
It always look a bit deserted and a bit bleak with no wall decorations, and the food service and quality is not good.
Unfortunately most web searches seem to come up with the pre-December reports, when the pub was busy, lively and the food was excellent in both quality and value.
Any comments on how things are doing from any Honor Oak pub users?

Sparkles

16-02-2013 06:30 PM

We went a couple of weeks ago for Sunday lunch to give it a second try after a disappointing first visit. This time the music kept going on and off, and when it was on it seemed to be banging techno. The makeover looks like it's been left unfinished. The food was certainly nothing special and the atmosphere just felt a bit tense somehow - seriously lacking the relaxed, cosy ambience that we like on a Sunday pub-lunch session. Such a shame - we're desperate for a great foodie pub in Honor Oak.

dad_jokes

16-02-2013 07:14 PM

Really dying for a decent local pub. Unfortunately the revamped HO pub is definitely not it. Stark inside, too open and echoey. Music and DJ on weekends are not of my taste and nor the clientele if I'm honest. I'm probably being a bit snooty but just being honest. Been twice to give it a chance but shan't be going again. Dartmouth Arms it will have to be until HOP gives birth to its first really good pub.

Erekose

16-02-2013 07:50 PM

Went down hill a couple of years ago sadly.

showtunesgirl

16-02-2013 11:19 PM

Such a shame as when it first opened The Honor Oak was great but in recent times the staff have been sloppy, the food poor quality and there's a distinct smell of "loo" about the place. Thumbdown

showtunesgirl

16-02-2013 11:24 PM

The one thing I REALLY need this Sainsbury's to stock is Freedom Food / Free Range chicken thighs / legs. Then I'll be happy. Smile

Bcm

17-02-2013 12:42 AM

Agreed, or I won't be buying the chicken!

squashst

17-02-2013 08:10 AM

Yep - I echo the poor reports. Went there on a Sun eve, most of the beer was off, not welcoming atmosphere. A while back the Honor Oak was a decent pub, good food (although the wooden floors always made it a bit noisy). I'm afraid the new owners have moved it distinctly downmarket. Walk up to the Blythe Hill Tavern if ale is your thing or the Forresters if its food and drink.

Erekose

17-02-2013 09:34 AM

It shows what a transient thing ambience can be.
Agree about Blythe hill but be warned it has tv's and shows sport.......pick the evening with care if you are after a quiet drink.

lacb

17-02-2013 10:16 AM

Closed it is.

The only upside, perhaps trying too hard to find something positive to say, is that approval has been granted to turn it into a bar. Serving beer it seems:
Microbrew tenant

manor mountie

17-02-2013 01:11 PM

handy-man / small builder / decorator sought to fix small balcony roof and a couple of other small jobs. please pm me if you are interested or if you can reccommend someone
thanks in anticipation
mm

P1971

17-02-2013 06:31 PM

Forresters is now All Inn One, which is at the back of FH train station incase anyone wanted to check it out.

derbybill

19-02-2013 04:24 PM

Thanks for your comments.
Yes Erekose, it is sad that such a pleasant place as The Honor Oak once was, has had such a "Decline and Fall".
I do hope that it stays in business as we all need these meeting places in our local community.

Any response from the owners/managers?

dad_jokes

19-02-2013 04:32 PM

Oooh if I was running that place I tell ya...

Anyone care to list top 5 pubs in order covering HoP / Forest Hill / Crofton Park?

And put (sports) in brackets for ones that show sports!

michael

19-02-2013 04:49 PM

I'd be happy to, if admin allows it. I wouldn't want to lose my posting privileges for simply responding to an enquiry / challenge.

Pages (16): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Who pays to save pubs and shops? Tim Lund 15 12,362 27-09-2013 04:15 PM
Last Post: lacb