SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (16): « First < Previous 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Next > Last »
Shops, pubs, restaurants, etc
hoona

17-04-2013 10:42 AM

I highly recommend 1st Independent Windows in Chislehurst. We used them a few years ago and they were good value and good quality. They were recommended to us by a friend and my dad has used them since. All of us happy with them. Good luck!

Find all posts by this user
shzl400

19-04-2013 07:41 PM

Can anybody recommend a building firm to design and build a kitchen extension?

This project, previously scheduled for "we'll get to it in a couple of years" has been brought precipitously forward due to a rather dramatic leak in the bathroom above the kitchen ruining all the existing carcases and doors.

In response to the enquiries about windows, we used a firm called Crestshield. http://www.crestshieldwindows.co.uk/home.htm
My advice on the subject would be to make sure you are comparing like with like when comparing quotes and get what you want. Crestshield themselves do a large range of windows and will do a higher quality/price, say, for owner occupiers vs. buy to let landlords. They did a very neat job of replicating the look of the 1930's leaded and coloured glass fanlights.

I can also offer the benefit of recent experience on a loft conversion to anyone considering this. (Now you can see why we were going to wait a year or two on the kitchen!)

rshdunlop

19-04-2013 07:48 PM

I can thoroughly recommend One Stop Builders in Beckenham http://onestopbuilding.co.uk/aboutus.htm

They can do everything - the building work, kitchen installation, the lot. Not cheap, but worth considering. They did a big knock-through and new kitchen for us two years ago. It still looks like new.

Baytree

21-04-2013 04:05 PM

I noticed that the Shop next to the Bird in Hand was open today. I think is called "the montage"? I thought it was a secondhand shop, but it looked like they might be serving coffee / food as they had a table outside.
I didn't have time to go in, but does anyone know anymore about it?

michael

21-04-2013 10:40 PM
Kingly

23-04-2013 11:46 AM

There was a shop called Lolo's Patisserie which opened on Perry Vale as a replacement to the old Bakery. Walking past, I see the shop is currently having a refit - does anyone know what it's going to be or is it simply a relaunch for the Patisserie?

thesophie

23-04-2013 01:59 PM

This was just posted on Facebook:

Quote:
Dear Friends

It is with a heavy heart that I must let you know that The Honor Oak is no more. The doors are closed the tears are flowing. When faced with such a difficult operating environment, couple with a distinct lack of support from Punch Taverns, we have had to throw the towel in, not least for our own sanity. Thankyou to everybody who has supported us, played music, sung, danced, quizzed us or helped us plug holes in this disastrous building. We will miss you all and hope very much that the corporate management group moving in will be sensitive to the needs of the community.

Most of all a big thank you to all the staff who have kept the doors open during all the tough times....X

Does anybody know what's due to happen? I want to go and have a lemonade (wine) in the sunny garden!

Where shall I go in the meantime? Best pub garden near Stanstead Road?

Thanks,

Sophie.

blushingsnail

23-04-2013 02:30 PM

Lolo's Patisserie: the sign on the door said closed for refurbishment. It's still got food display cabinets inside, plus new tables and chairs, so it's looks like they'll be aiming for more eat-in sales.

Pub gardens near Stanstead Road: All-Inn-One on Perry Vale?

mgmonkey

23-04-2013 02:50 PM

Beer gardens near Stanstead Road?

The Blythe Hill Tavern has a lovely garden at this time of year. Flowers blooming all over the place.

Then it would have to be All Inn One, although the sun is quick to dissapear behind the building in the evening if you are in the back garden.

michael

23-04-2013 03:38 PM

Sad to hear about The Honor Oak. Let's hope it might remain as a pub rather than becoming Tesco as is about to happen in Sydenham and almost happened in Catford.

Last year the council locally listed a number of pubs as community assets. Unfortunately the Honor Oak did not make it onto the list.

I imagine this would make an attractive location for Tesco or another supermarket. I know that when I lived close by the Sainsbury in the Shell garage was very convenient, since the next nearest supermarket is the coop beside Forest Hill station.

If you are looking for a nice pub (without a big beer garden) then the closest to the Honor Oak is the General Napier, possibly Forest Hill's least known pub. Worth a visit for the quality of the decor Bovill Road/Herschell Road

Baboonery

23-04-2013 05:48 PM

My PMs appear to be disabled, at least for the sending of. Anybody know a decent plumber? Few small household jobs...

oryx

23-04-2013 07:13 PM

I thought the Napier had a beer garden, albeit a very small one! I must admit I haven't been for a while - must pay it a visit.

squashst

23-04-2013 08:58 PM

Shame about the Honor Oak - though it did seem to change direction recently, and did seem less well used than a year ago. The Catford Bridget Tavern is south east london's CAMRA pub of the year (and its much more than a real ale pub of course).

Tomcat

28-04-2013 06:16 PM

I see a notice has been put up on one of the empty units in the development opposite the station. Some form of off-licence. Anyone know any further details ?

michael

29-04-2013 09:00 AM

We've got another lovely Forest Hill Food Fair coming up this Sunday.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

michael

29-04-2013 09:08 AM

It is worth pointing out that as well as the Forest Hill Monthly Food Fair on the FIRST Sunday of each month, Sydenham is now having monthly food fairs on the LAST Sunday of the month. Many of the traders are the same so you can enjoy the same quality locally produced products more often.

In addition on Saturday 18th May, SEE3 are organising a food and craft market in Forest Hill (outside the pools).

So for everybody who has said they want weekly markets, the good news is that for the next 5 weeks there are 4 markets in SE23 and SE26.

rshdunlop

29-04-2013 10:30 AM

That's great news, Michael. For people who don't know, Sydenham has a new pocket square as part of its refurbishment and held its food market there yesterday for the first time. It looked great and was very visible from the road. The two markets could really work together to promote both town centres.

I don't know about anyone else, but I LOVE the graphics for the FH markets, especially the posters. Really excellent design work. Loving the May Pole theme above. Well done to whoever is the designer.

Cellar Door

29-04-2013 11:58 AM

rshdunlop wrote:
I don't know about anyone else, but I LOVE the graphics for the FH markets, especially the posters. Really excellent design work. Loving the May Pole theme above. Well done to whoever is the designer.

Totally agree.

Having a little look at the bottom right hand side of the poster I am tickled pink to see that it is my local mate Rob (from Sugar Mountain). I always wondered what he got upto with his Graphic Design work. Now I know.

Next time I see Rob I’ll give him a jolly good pat on the back from you and me both.

HannahD

08-05-2013 10:14 AM

The new Sainsbury's Local in HOP is taking a long time to open. Does anyone know when they're hoping to finish the work? I'm starting to wonder if it's ever going to happen...

Cowburglar

08-05-2013 11:58 AM

I believe they initially said sometime around June. Can't really tell how progress is behind those boards!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Who pays to save pubs and shops? Tim Lund 15 12,679 27-09-2013 05:15 PM
Last Post: lacb