SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Remote working and pc's
davidl

07-05-2008 10:16 AM

A lot to discuss here.

Certainly it's not technically impossible to give someone access remotely to the things they use in the office, but it's often not cheap.

There 3 broad types of remote access:

1. Accessing Outlook email on an Exchange server via the internet.
  2. Using a VPN to connect a computer at home to an office network
  3. Using something like Citrix to get a virtual desktop on your home PC

Option 1 is fairly easy and can be set up in an afternoon with an internet connected web server and the right bits and pieces - this is what I am guessing you have at present. Then you just go to a web address, put in your username and password and you have a webpage which looks a lot like your Outlook inbox in the office. Home PC can be used with little risk.

Option 2 is a little bit more expensive - you need to have some sort of secure authentication (most people use a key fob with a 6-digit number on it changing every minute or so, from a company called RSA) and someone needs to make a decision to allow computers not under direct physical control to join the network. Once these machines are in the network they can be given access to applications/fileshares as freely as policy dictates. You can even have a direct connection to a remote desktop in this sort of scenario. Prevalent probably 5 or 6 years ago, this is increasingly being superceded by option 3. Home PC can be used, but it's more likely that you would only be allowed to do this with a laptop from work which is locked down.

Option 3 is more expensive again - you need licences for Citrix at the server side, and you also need to pay for the secure authentication from option 2. There are a lot of benefits, though. People can be given (controlled and audited) access to specific applications, or even to a whole virtual desktop just like their office PC, with access to applications and file shares. Using this sort of solution I can get a session on my own office PC. Marginally slower than being there, but on the plus side I get a comfy chair, decent coffee and I can listen to the radio. Again, home PC can be used. Or indeed, a Mac.

None of these solutions is without hassle, and while all *can* be done, there are security issues for the employer to think about (as well as productivity, presenteeism issues - if you make it too convenient to work from home you can wind up with an empty office, which might not be a good thing). A lot of firms have realised that if they make these facilities available, they can get more time and effort out of the workforce, though.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Remote working and pc's - roz - 06-05-2008, 03:26 PM
RE: Remote working and pc's - michael - 06-05-2008, 03:39 PM
RE: Remote working and pc's - roz - 06-05-2008, 03:49 PM
RE: Remote working and pc's - Londondrz - 06-05-2008, 03:54 PM
RE: Remote working and pc's - Elizabeth25 - 06-05-2008, 04:49 PM
RE: Remote working and pc's - Sherwood - 06-05-2008, 10:19 PM
RE: Remote working and pc's - BarCar - 07-05-2008, 09:17 AM
RE: Remote working and pc's - davidl - 07-05-2008 10:16 AM
RE: Remote working and pc's - Londondrz - 07-05-2008, 10:30 AM