SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
GP appointment waiting times
Cowburglar

05-03-2013 04:35 PM

I'm currently registered at Forest Hill Group Practise and called early Monday morning to make an appointment but was told they were booked up for the week! I was then told I could call this morning at 8 to get on the daily list, which I did but was told my situation wasn't urgent enough so I have to wait for a doctor to call me back later this week.

They have 10 doctors on their books, so I find it amazing they have such a long waiting list. Is this common for other GPs in the area?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
derbybill

05-03-2013 05:52 PM

At the Jenner Practice, where I have been a patient for many years, you can generally get an appointment within 48 hours (I believe that this is a NHS requirement of any group practice of GPs).
You can queue up at the crack of dawn (not pleasant if you're really ill!), you can phone up, and now you can book on line (you have to register for this).
The Jenner "releases" appointments on a daily basis and if you know the time when this release happens then you can book on an automated phone system. it seems to be at several times during the day and night. Once you have got your head round the system then you should be able to get an appointment quickly.
Suggest you try and talk to the receptionist at a time when they're not too busy, or transfer to the Jenner!
Maybe a member of the admin staff at either of the Practices could explain the appointments system.

lacb

05-03-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:
I'm currently registered at Forest Hill Group Practise and called early Monday morning to make an appointment but was told they were booked up for the week! I was then told I could call this morning at 8 to get on the daily list, which I did but was told my situation wasn't urgent enough so I have to wait for a doctor to call me back later this week.

It just so happens that I am registered there too and having had no reason to see them for a couple of years, have had to make emergency appointments 3 times in the last 2 months. Whereas it used to be a bit of a mission getting an appointment, these last few times have been really easy - have actually spent longer waiting in the pharmacy for a prescription than entire time spent in the surgery. I was thinking they have clearly worked on this problem and got results!

Either you have been unlucky or you need to follow these tips: (a) phone at 0830 on the dot, (b) you need to be careful not to downplay the impact of your condition on the phone in order to get an urgent appointment.

Baboonery

12-03-2013 03:10 PM

Would just like to commend the Jenner's online system. It's changed the whole GP experience for me and I wouldn't mind betting it's improved the health of many in the 'Stay on the phone for half an hour at 0800? Did that yesterday, not bothering again' tendency. Really puts you in control.

Sorry, I know that's not very helpful for you at FHGP. You could write and ask them to introduce it. They're big enough.

SonicAttack

12-03-2013 06:19 PM

I am also registered at FHGP. To add to lacb's recommends: Make sure you emphasise you need to see someone urgently.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields