SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Our house
daveherne

26-02-2013 10:12 PM

anybody got any words of encouragement! Four+ months after moving in still feels like a mountain to climb to finish even basic renovations! stripping walls and ceilings never seems to end. I think all those home renovation problems have a lot to answer for - making everything look very easy!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sherwood

27-02-2013 08:02 AM

Just do a bit at a time!

Bcm

27-02-2013 08:51 AM

Try to do one room at a time so that you can enjoy the fruits of your labour incrementally! We bought our place 2.5 years ago and every room needed stripping back to the plaster (at least). I still haven't quite finished, but am getting there. It may seem like a mountain, but as you defeat each room the rewards are tremendous!

Wallpaper stripping and re-papering is the worst job - at least once you finish that the only way is up. Good luck and keep the faith!

Bel101

27-02-2013 01:19 PM

7 years in and we still have a sticky kitchen courtsey of the last owner and temporary kitchen electrics.
But I feel elated that everything we do is when we can afford it and done well. Not throwing money at the restoration but doing it sensibly. May take longer but its paid for and all our own work!!!

daveherne

02-03-2013 08:30 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. Have to accept that it will take longer than I thought I suppose!

Anybody done a loft extension and have any tips? My idea is to get the basic work done soon, stairs and floor re-enforcement and do the rest later so I can get on and finish decorating the landing. My wife wants to wait and do it all at once - which could be a while and mean replacing carpet and redecorating I bet!

shimmysister

03-03-2013 06:07 PM

Glad that you are balancing the workload with some walks on one tree hill :-)

We moved here a year ago and still have loads of work to do to our place inside and out and no money to do it! We'll get there a bit at a time like our parents did! You're right that we have silly expectations from all the house programmes on tv!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields