SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
Right-turn camera at Wickes/Halfords
shzl400

03-05-2008 08:45 AM

I thought I heard of a plan a couple of years ago to re-route the SC behind Laurence House (through what is now the car park - ironic!). Has anyone else heard of this? Has it been abandoned?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

03-05-2008 10:19 AM

I heard similar. Not heard anything since though so assume thats changed. A lot could be done to sort the road layout out, but clearly its all about slowing the traffic flow down and causing as much congestion and pollution as possible.

Sherwood

03-05-2008 08:58 PM

The plan to reroute the south circular behind Laurence House is still around in theory. I think it would also involve moving the road to go through a corner of the sports ground by Canadian Avenue.
Perhaps Boris will do this if we ask him!

honoracorn

28-06-2008 09:05 AM

I just got a ?60 fine in the post for turning right into Wickes. Wasn't aware of the no right turn and have been doing it for the past 5 years. Grrrr.

brian

29-06-2008 04:56 PM

I am sure this has been mentioned many times on this site. I do symphasise GBP 60.00 seems excessive but surely there are signs there ?

psyche9

30-06-2008 05:22 AM

You can turn in that little road that used to lead to the dogs. That way you avoid going into crazy downtown Catford. It is an awkward turn as you have to cut across the mouth of Ravensbourne Park, and disrupts traffic more - judging by the hooting and nasty shouts - than if you just turned right in to Wickes.

davidl

30-06-2008 10:25 AM

That whole junction doesn't really work - and I think it brings out the worst in a lot of drivers (going in both directions there always seems to be a lot of jockeying for position as lanes become right-turn-only or peter out).

Banning the right turn into Wickes doesn't seem to have helped much (other than putting more money into TfL's coffers) - generally the traffic going in the other direction was moving so slowly (or stopped, waiting for the Stanstead Road lights to change) that people were happy to let you turn. However, the signs do make it clear that you're not allowed to do it now, and I think you have to hold your hands up and say it's a fair cop. Annoying as it is, accepting the ?60 PCN is probably better than being done for driving without due care and attention (the standard cop response to "I didn't see the sign")...

Having never had any issue with turning right, and not caused any significant tailbacks in doing so (obv. before the signs went up) I do find having to schlep all the way round the Catford one-way system to be a complete pain (and a waste of petrol...) and just tend to go to the Wickes on Blackheath Hill these days. I'm not sure whether the Ravensbourne Park suggestion is equally naughty as turning right off Catford Road - I suspect it is, but there just isn't a camera to stop it.

prc

30-06-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:
Sherwood Wrote:
I frequently see drivers turning right into & out of Wickes. Usually they cause the whole of the south circular to grind to a halt.

You think that this could be the reason why there is no right turn there?

I got fined after not seeing the signs up, and the other week noticed other people turning in to Wickes and it back the South Circ up for a mile....best idea though is to put an island or barrier in the middle of the road to make the rule more effective.....lets go for prevention rather than reactionary fining....

Londondrz

01-07-2008 12:49 PM

Snazy wrote:

Londondrz wrote:
Selfish people blocking up the junction at the lights, despite being box junction, causes far more backups but I dont see the camera being used on that.

Here here, the exact junctions you have to use to get back round to Halfords at that too !
Some of the road planning in this borough really worry me. One day I would love to meet the team that do road planning, just to hear how some of these decisions are reached Smile

If I was the sort of person who chose to ignore the signs and turned right into Wickes I would first check to see if the CCTV camera is pointing away from the junction.Thumbup

Sherwood

01-07-2008 09:37 PM

You can turn right into Canadian Avenue and turn round in the cricket ground car park.

Toffeejim

01-07-2008 10:48 PM

Anyone know what's happening with the bypass? Or has that been knocked on the head?

billham

06-07-2008 12:22 AM

Well I had no idea that it was illegal to turn right there and I certainly did it in mid March and then again recently. It's hard enough to keep your eye on the traffic at that corner let alone being expected to pick up pointless no right turn signals.

If I get a ticket for turning right I will oppose it - the sign simply cannot be that obvious if I as a cautious and law abiding driver with over 35 years driving experience did not see it on two separate occasions in broad daylight.

Is this restriction a recent one or has it always been so? My experience has always been that the turn out of that car park, even going left towards Forest Hill is considerably more of a challenge than the turn in.

Sherwood

06-07-2008 10:31 AM

The restriction has ben there since Wickes was opened. But it was a long time before I noticed it!

Londondrz

07-07-2008 07:41 AM

The question is it a no right turn into Wickes and Halfords or just Wickes??

davidl

07-07-2008 10:00 AM

The markings on the road are pretty conclusive - there are a couple of arrows painted with "ahead only" below them.

There's also a "no right turn" sign just before the bridge - and various bits and pieces saying about cameras etc. Was driving through the area at the weekend and the only camera I was able to see is the one halfway up the hill - am I right in thinking this would have to be turned around and pointed at the junction to catch transgressors?

Seems a shame that common courtesy (in other drivers letting people turn) has been replaced by the wholesale introduction of (often incredibly narrow) filter lanes and lights. More and more, I think the removal of all signage (as discussed elsewhere at length) has got to be the way forward.

billham

07-07-2008 12:15 PM

I think you are quite right about the amount of signange. There is simply no way of taking in all the signs that are out there. How anyone without an intimate knowledge of the South Circ ever successfully navigates it is quite beyond me...even if they don't have to detour into Wickes!

You constantly need to be working on which lane you need to be in for the next of the unending one way schemes as well as reading all the signs and working out which bus lanes are 24 hour and not just morning or evening....I doubt anyone can go through a day without some form of minor unintentional infraction which the cameras await with their ever watchful eyes.

The only traffic ticket I have had was for driving down a bus lane in Merton for about 10 yards at 7.15 in the morning in order to avoid some queuing traffic and turn left into a clear road. Everything about it was automated from the camera to the voice that answered when you called to pay the ridiculous charge. Coffers one, commonsense nil.

It didn't help my mood when later that same day (which was 4 or 5 years ago) there were talks on radio and TV of expensive studies to assist traffic flow in London. Well allowing people to move through a clear bus lane to reduce a queue in a direction they don't wish to go when the direction they do wish to go is clear would seem to be an easy start!!

5 years later of course all we get are more cameras, more unreasonable tickets, and the traffic only gets worse.

NewForester

14-07-2008 08:37 AM

Londondrz wrote:
The question is it a no right turn into Wickes and Halfords or just Wickes??

The definitive answer from London Streets

London Streets wrote:
Thank you for your e-mail dated 30 June regarding the road layout between the junction of Stanstead Road, Catford Hill and Canadian Avenue. You asked:

* It is illegal for traffic eastbound on Catford Road to turn right into Wickes, (Statutory Instrument 1995 No. 2454) - the answer is, yes.

* It is illegal for traffic to turn right when emerging from Wickes onto Catford Road, (Statutory Instrument 1995 No. 2454) - the answer is, yes.

* Is it illegal for traffic eastbound on Catford Road to turn right into Halfords (1A Catford Hill)? - the answer is no.

* Is it illegal for traffic to turn right when emerging from Halfords onto Catford Road? - the answer is no.

* Is it legal for traffic to turn right out of Ravensbourne Park onto Catford Road? - the answer is no.

There is no prescribed route, those accessing Wickes need to examine the A-Z to identify the best route bearing in mind the above restrictions. One way is to use the gyratory system at Catford but it all depends on the start of the journey.

Both entrances to Wickes and Halford are private roads, and therefore outside of our remit with regard to merging them into one.

I hope the above is of assistance.

Yours sincerely

Cyrilene Isaac
Customer Service Advisor
London Streets

So, it looks like we'll all be parking at Halfords Smile Ghis - looks like you were illegally fined. Not sure what your rights of appeal are Sad

Londondrz

14-07-2008 09:01 AM

NF, you are a constant source of good info. Add another beer to the two I already owe you!!Thumbsup

NewForester

14-07-2008 09:38 AM

I guess that if you're getting cement from Wickes you'll just have to turn into Halfords, come back out and then turn left into Wickes Ohmy At least that's quicker than going round the gyratory.

Londondrz

14-07-2008 09:45 AM

But I find it easier to use your cement.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields